Bad Idea: Geocache in a needle box

So I was looking around for something to put a cache in and I came across an unused needle box (I give myself injects, for medical reasons) and I thought "This would work great!" then I realized that it said Bio-hazard on the side and I didn't want to have another episode like the one recently with the ammo can. I am just going to stick with my ammo can idea.

that, and even if a muggle didn't find it, I'm betting most cachers would recognize a needle box for potentially holding something dangerous, and wouldn't want to touch it.

I'm glad you're thinking about what the finders reaction would be. We need more hiders like that!

So I was looking around for something to put a cache in and I came across an unused needle box (I give myself injects, for medical reasons) and I thought "This would work great!" then I realized that it said Bio-hazard on the side and I didn't want to have another episode like the one recently with the ammo can. I am just going to stick with my ammo can idea.

Go with the ammo can! If you really want to hide a smaller cache cheap lock and locks can be found at wally world

Assuming you mean a "sharps" box, you can take the lables off and paint it.

Although I've never really tried to open one, so I don't know about that aspect. And I'm not sure how water tight they'd be.

But great to see that you are thinking about your cache containers.

The thing about sharps boxes is you close them and the seal shut, its a safety feature. I was going to hack it and get it to work but decided against it.

You made a good choice. When I close a sharps bin, the ones we use at work stay sealed. They aren't waterproof either.

Yes which is weird because you think they would be.

well... no. Their purpose is to contain sharp objects in such a way that a person cannot hurt themselves. Keeping the sharps dry does not factor into this.

They are also intended to be cheap.

You made a good choice. When I close a sharps bin, the ones we use at work stay sealed. They aren't waterproof either.

well... no. Their purpose is to contain sharp objects in such a way that a person cannot hurt themselves. Keeping the sharps dry does not factor into this.

Also to contain the sharp objects in a way that a person is not exposed to diseased blood. If water gets in there and comes out again theres a chance that the water has the contaminated blood :) just saying.

Also to contain the sharp objects in a way that a person is not exposed to diseased blood. If water gets in there and comes out again theres a chance that the water has the contaminated blood :) just saying.

They are designed to be leak proof, not watertight. Same as gladware containers, and all of us cachers know how well they work in the wild.

Okay, I found something that might work but before I try it I am just going to put it through hell. Leave it outside, submerge it in water, expose it to heat and cold. Ill post results.

Just so you'll know... submerging a container isn't a very good test, unless it's going to be a submerged cache. The pressure from the water can actually cause a container to seal better than it would out in the open.

Burying it under a pile of leaves in your back yard and letting it go through the normal weather for your region is the best test of all.