Can a guestbook double as a cache log?

bluepigninjas

Hi folks,

I'd like to hear your opinion on the following:

I work in a historically registered building. I'd like to draw fellow geocachers to it to check it out. However, it also doubles as the administrative offices for a College.

The building is open to visitors between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and there is someone at a reception desk in the main hallway between roughly 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (but these hours vary quite alot).

My idea was to have a guestbook inside a nice looking wooden box on the desk. When the receptionist is there she can have the book out on the desk and regular muggle visitors can sign it as a guestbook, and cachers can sign it as the cache log.

When the receptionist isn't there, the box will be closed, but cachers from the cache description will know the box is the cache log and be able to open it and sign the guestbook as the cache log.

That way, cachers won't have to go rummaging in a desk when the receptionist wasn't there. Also the "cache" will still fit in with the look of the building and I won't having anyone objecting to anything "unsightly" on the desk.

Is this breaking any rules, or is this an acceptable cache configuration? If so would it be "traditional" or "mystery"?

Thanks!

BPN.

It would be a Traditional, designated "Log Only" in the cache description. It's probably best to keep it closed, so it's for Geocaching. Otherwise, non-cachers reading the guestbook may think it's odd to have it signed by "Earl Thorton Clumpton III" followed by "bluepigninjas". But an information sheet could be included as well.

The first problem I see here, to whom does the "log/reception book" belong to? The CO or the college? Although I don't see a huge problem (as far as the college goes), but I don't think it is a good idea to intermix the intent of the book. Either it is a logbook, or it is a reception book. I see it as a misuse to assume it would suffice to do double-duty for two such dissimilar and unrelated activities.

How is it that you propose the cachers would be aware that the reception book is also the logbook? By the cache page? I have found that very few cachers (apparently) read the cache page before attempting to find a cache. Parking coordinates given seem to be nearly a waste of time, as does written info on how/where to avoid things like stream crossings or poison ivy. Based on these observations, I find it difficult to assume that many (some, most, a few?) will read the cache page to understand the logbook/reception book idea.

Aside from that, from the listing guidelines, the log not within the cache container (guessing this is meant to be a "container-type" [traditional] cache) doesn't really conform:

Geocache Contents

Geocache containers include a logsheet.

<cut>

Outside of the above, I think it is a good idea... we really like historical buildings, of all kinds.

I just think you probably should keep the cache/college separate.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks for the replies - I'd be using the wooden box that contains the guestbook as the cache container.

What I'm hearing is cachers would probably need some indication (small sticker on the box) that it was a cache and also a seperate log inside the box?

BPN.

That's a good idea for most any container, having at least a GC Code. People finding it (cachers or not) then have a better idea about what to expect. And it could be most anything from a subdued "Leatherman G", to an official sticker:

geol1.jpg

cachesticker_med_500_4.jpg

I doubt this would be allowed. I know people have tried to use summit registers as logs and were turned down. A guestbook would be in the same category.

A second problem would be GPS use. How will people use their GPS to find the cache? Simply posting coordinates to the entrance and telling people to go inside will not pass the GPS use smell test with most reviewers.

Edited by briansnat

I am against using the same guest book and box. I would suggest using a separate box and log.

I feel for any cache hidden inside an establishment the best type is a letterbox, then a puzzle, then a multi. You will need to put the precise days and times the building is open, and make sure you have permission.

Here's a cache that is located inside a visitor center:

http://coord.info/GC1HQ1W

In this case, the requirement for using GPS coordinates is met as part of the Question to Answer waypoints.

That might give you some ideas of how such a cache can be designed, while still complying with the guidelines. But ultimately, the person you need to communicate with is your local reviewer. Nothing we post here really matters.

Just in case anyone is interested, the final result can be found here:

http://coord.info/GC31YH2 (listed under the College's Geocaching account)

Decided to use the guestbook and box as the logbook and cache and get another book to act as a regular guestbook :)

Also, added a few waypoints to check out to point to the final cache location (thus satisfying the GPS requirement!).

If you are in the neighborhood: Enjoy! :D