Lost another cacher's geocoin, need help!

GWTony

I need some help from everyone. I was caching with a nice geocoin in my pocket and I must have dropped it while climbing around, or it just fell out of my bag. The coin was lost in an abandoned amusement park that has no trespassing signs all over it, tons of over grown plants, not sure if the coin will ever be recovered and put back into circulation. The reason for going in there was because there is a huge Ferris wheel with a tree growing through it, and a few other interesting things to see.

My thoughts were to try and order another coin just like it and have the same numbers stamped on it. is this possible?

If not, what should I do about this? Can I just get another one to replace this one where it left off, like insert the new coin into the current logs by somehow updating the tracking number?

here is the coin I'm reffering to: Lost coin

I still have not informed the owner of the coin, I wanted to get some opinions here first.

Thank you everyone! GWTony

My thoughts were to try and order another coin just like it and have the same numbers stamped on it. is this possible?

If not, what should I do about this? Can I just get another one to replace this one where it left off, like insert the new coin into the current logs by somehow updating the tracking number?

No, you won't be able to buy an identical replacement geocoin from the makers and have them stamp it with the same tracking number as the lost geocoin.

It's good that you're trying to think up some way to make amends. I think the best thing you can do is contact the owner, apologise, and tell them what's happened. As an owner of quite a few traveling geocoins, I'd just be happy to know that you'd owned up to losing it! It was an accident - These things happen - so many geocoins disappear and the owners never find out what was their fate.

It would be a kind gesture to offer to buy the owner some other geocoin as a replacement, though. See what they say.

MrsB :)

Hmmm... well at least you are good enough to admit it. It would be difficult to get a blank matching coin and then engrave new numbers. I would recommend contacting the owner... and maybe offering to set a new trackable free for them... giving them the activation number so it will be under their name. Maybe dropping it off near you.

First I want to commend you for taking responsibility and having consideration for the coin owner's loss. You'd be surprised how many would just blow it off and claim "this is geocaching, coins get lost all the time" and not even offer an apology. Accidents happen but you can't turn back the clock or magically undo them so send the owner an unactivated coin they can release in the place of the one you lost. Write them, inform them of what happened and ask if there is a particular coin they would like to have as an equal and fair replacement.

You could always get a "Proxy" coin..there are several websites offering "Proxies" all you have to do is pick one and they will put the Geocoin tracking no. on it. So anyone who finds the "Proxy" will still achieve the Icon for the original coin. Just a thought.

Methinks you misconstrued what the OP wants to do....

He wants to atone to the 'coin owner and make amends for his error. Not provide a paper (or otherwise) replica that isn't his to begin with just so others can get "credit" for moving it along. It's a matter of perspective, ya know.

I'd be willing to go back with you after the Bash if you want to try to find it!!!

Suspecting it's the place in Aurora???

Contact me through GC if I haven't already given you my email address.

Kelly (AKA Geocharmer81)

The place is down by Medina and Lodi map I did go back and tried to follow my tracks, but the foliage is very over grown... then again, another pair of eyes would not hurt! There is a cache out front of the park, but I wanted to go into the park to get some pictures of the coin next to the huge Ferris wheel with the tree growing through it.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, it may be worth another shot walking the route again, I know for sure it was lost BEFORE getting to the Ferris wheel, and I returned to the cache prior where I made another TB drop.

I'm of no help... Just wondering Chippewa Lake?

It's actually quite fascinating there, the roller coaster is gone, but to see the Ferris wheel in person is amazing! here are a couple of links to give you an idea of what the place was like. Wiki link

This is a really good video about the park on youtube

There is a cache where the park entrance sign used to be well outside the fenced area.

I work in Medina and live in Smithville... we only have one vehicle so the wife and kids bring me to work and back (im a truck driver and only go once a week...lol

anyways on the way home they discovered the park and we've watched the videos... they want to sneak in to wander around!!

Sean

I work in Medina and live in Smithville... we only have one vehicle so the wife and kids bring me to work and back (im a truck driver and only go once a week...lol

anyways on the way home they discovered the park and we've watched the videos... they want to sneak in to wander around!!

Sean

I am going back in Sunday morning (7/31) , the plan is to get there around 8am, this way there will be less skeeters, and I should not bother any neighbors while there. We are going to bring a metal detector and the cameras, if you are there, say hello, I am going to be wearing my geocaching T-shirt. Today (Sat) I'm taking the motorcycle for a ride and check out some other caches, who knows where the path will lead today.

As the owner of a few coins that are out and traveling, I would MUCH rather know that you lost the coin on accident while out taking it to geocaches than think that you (or someone else, for that matter) just liked it and decided to keep it.

I was backtracking all the areas between the last known possition to where the coin came up missing.... no luck :unsure: I do however have some really good pictures of the area that I did not get the last time we were there. usually I handle all the items personally, but this time an assistant was helping.... when I got to an area to take photos, we went into the baggie that was holding the coin, and nothing was in the bag other than the goal documentation. I also tore through the car to find nothing.... (most of the time I'm on the motorcycle)

Tonight is the nigh I have to compose that sad letter..... it's a shame, and really not like me to lose anything, especially something so important. BTW this was a really nice coin, and I will demand the owner let me buy him another one to help heal my embarrassment and shame.

Thanks to everyone for the help on how to solve the lost coin problem. :)