Getting muggles to leave

power69

Cache was on picnic table in a city park. sat down and there was muggle drinking a beer that wouldn't leave.

I asked him if he wanted another beer, he said yes so i handed him $5 to go buy us each a beer.

after he left towards circle K, i found the cache then left.

-

So whats the strangest way you dealt with a muggle that just wouldn't move away from the cache?

All really great ideas, I think I'll try them! I recently went after a cache down by the lake and, as I was clambering among the rocks, not 10 feet from me was a muggle who was looking at me but kind of through me, if you know what I mean. Anyways, I thought the best way to divert his attention was to just talk to him as I went about my business. So I carried on a long one-sided conversation. After I signed the log and put everything back, his buddy came along and they both started to chatter away in Russian or Polish or something...DOH!

Edited by luvvinbird

Cache was on picnic table in a city park. sat down and there was muggle drinking a beer that wouldn't leave.

I asked him if he wanted another beer, he said yes so i handed him $5 to go buy us each a beer.

-

So whats the strangest way you dealt with a muggle that just wouldn't move away from the cache?

No micro is worth $5.

Strangest way? I found a 100% fool-proof method everytime I see a muggle within 100 feet of a cache, I search for the cache, if I am questioned about what I am doing, I explain tell them I am geocaching which is a treasure hunting game played with GPS, and they join in the hunt, afterwords they usually go home, or if they ignore me, the muggle goes home when he's finished whatever he was doing anyway! Who knew!

I usually just come back later. My use of the area isn't any more valid than theirs.

Ditto for me. If there are muggles making the find too difficult (e.g. it's on a bench and they are sitting on it), I go away.

If I'm already looking then a muggle appears and asks me what I'm doing, that's different; I'll usually explain I'm "playing a game looking for something".

No micro is worth $5.

I'm wondering if P69 waited for their beer / change, or if the guy simply disappeared with both.

Beer and micro might be worth it!

Doug 7rxc

I wish I had a written out script I could read when I'm "caught" caching. I get really flustered and stammer out some poor explanation of geocaching that probably makes it sound highly illegal or devious. But I get so startled by people because I'm searching hard and concentrating. Plus, I don't explain things coherently.

Open the ammo can, and ask your caching buddy if they want the peanut butter and jelly, or the ham and cheese. I had to do that once, when someone walked up on us sitting off the trail right after we pulled the cache out of its hiding spot. It worked.

I wish I had a written out script I could read when I'm "caught" caching. I get really flustered and stammer out some poor explanation of geocaching that probably makes it sound highly illegal or devious. But I get so startled by people because I'm searching hard and concentrating. Plus, I don't explain things coherently.

Carry a couple of the pamphlets they have at Geocaching University.

If they are around, but not in my way, I just start looking. I usually find that they don't pay attention to me.

If they are in my way, I'll either go find another cache and come back later, or just explain what I'm doing and ask if they mind moving over so I can check under the rock they are sitting on.

In urban places I've used my garmin as a phone many times.

Yeah....what did you say?

This worked for me...

A small shelter by a lake. Girl sleeping. Her parents on the other bench. Met two cachers also looking. I said: Got over there. Point at the lake and yell "WOW! Look at that!" I climbed over the sleeping girl, and grabbed the cache. Repeat to return the cache. Nobody even saw me!

Another time two cachers approached us. "I think the cache is in the sign that lady is leaning on." From the street, I dropped by bacpack against the sign, tied my shoelaces, and palmed the cache. Dropped the backpack again, and rummaged through it, returning the cache. Probably only works in a big city.

Yeah....what did you say?

LOL!

And thanks, GOF and Bacall for the link to those pamphlets! They will come in handy.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

A deputy sheriff once told me that he was able to get some private space at a swimming hole by taking out his gun and waving it around in a crazy manner. Leaving aside questions about his credibility, I would not recommend it in this day and age -- but it would probably clear an area of noncachers. Still, there are less invasive means. Sitting down next to a person and asking for spare change, or muttering something about space aliens, god, and the CIA will probably work as well Getting out a gpsr and looking for radiation measurements while wearing an aluminum foil hat (hard to find actual tin these days) might also work.

Generally, however, I just move on. I can always come back or there is no great loss if it is just another smiley in a world of smileys. There is always some other place to go. Of course, on occasion, I may be waist-deep into a cache that has a special icon or hiked too long of a distance to want to go back without a find. One time, for instance, I was a couple of hundred miles from home, on the final stage of a Wherigo, and came to the cache location only to find that there were two young lovers who had a lot more time to spend at the bench than I had to try to wait them out. So I asked them if they would mind if I looked nearby. They did not. I found the cache. They went back to what they were doing. All was well. Actually, that technique has never failed me.

It is the same technique I use if someone wants to know what I am doing. I tell them.

Brian has an interesting technique using vegetable soup. I haven't tried it yet.

I generally just ask if I can look under their table/bench/seat for something that I am trying to find as part of a game. Boring and straightforward, but it works.

Yes, I do. I pour some vegetable soup on my shirt (Campbell's Chunky works best) then pour a little water on my crotch. The area generally clears out when I approach.

-

Let me know were you will be next time. I will go get more beer for $5

**sigh** I wish I lived in a place where I could get two beers for $5. Lousy Canadian taxes. :D

You happen to live near the place that sells cans of pop for two quarters and a FTF?

Anyway, back to topic...

I tend to just leave and not get creative.

**sigh** I wish I lived in a place where I could get two beers for $5. Lousy Canadian taxes. :D

You happen to live near the place that sells cans of pop for two quarters and a FTF?

Anyway, back to topic...

Cheapest beer in Ontario right now is Lucky @ $29.95 (two-four).....so sad.

Edited by luvvinbird

This is the best thread on the general forums I've ever seen!!!

It seems I'm pretty boring. I'll have to adopt some of these techniques. They have all been hysterical!!!

I probably got my neighbor to move to close their windows I'm laughing so hard.

Just today I was thinking I should keep count of all the muggles I've gotten to move.

Did it today.

I was looking for a cache I really didn't think I'd find (and I didn't) so I didn't worry about the woman in her car nearby eating lunch finding it either.

I searched and searched, just focusing on looking, and searching with the same intensity I give to "evil" caches when no one is around: touch everything, look over and under everything, etc. There were two electrical boxes I gave the thorough once over,about ten times. I didn't even give her a glance. I suppose she was watching me. She left.

Yes, we all have equal rights to the area. And it's her choice if she doesn't want to share it with a lunatic.

I've also done the boring thing of just asking.

A few times someone is settled in at ground zero with a book or whatever. I'll walk up and ask if they've heard of the game. More often than not I get help in the search. Once the woman signed it with her geo-name.

(if they haven't heard of the game before, its' really embarrassing not to find it. YES it's a real game. Trust me.)

Edited by Sol seaker

Anyway, back to topic...

Really? We have dollar pints of blue light and blue at our happy hour from 3-7pm .. $5 would have made my afternoon..lol.

I usually have a geodog with me. They are a great distraction. Either the muggles want to come say hi to the dog and my husband finds it or I can use the dog as a reason for wandering in places and no one questions us. A well timed potty by my dog (who knows to squat on the command "go potty") or a poop bag on my hand while searching the area usuallu doens't warrent any questions...lol. :-)

Carry a couple of the pamphlets they have at Geocaching University.

Nah... carry a couple of the pamphlets they have on How to Defend Yourself Against Alien Abduction.

$%28KGrHqZ,%21mIE1GEYYMOBBNcLR8VJwg%7E%7E0_12.JPG

Anyway, back to topic...

For $5 and at a Circle K. Why did I leave the USA again?

or muttering something about space aliens, god, and the CIA will probably work as well

That's right... you're in California, aren't you?

Last time I was in Death Valley I couldn't pry myself away from someone who only wanted to talk about those things. He was dead serious, too.

I usually give it a few minutes, if they aren't going to move on then I do. Better to find a cache I can than wait on one I can't.

{snip} I've also done the boring thing of just asking.

A few times someone is settled in at ground zero with a book or whatever. I'll walk up and ask if they've heard of the game. More often than not I get help in the search. Once the woman signed it with her geo-name.

(if they haven't heard of the game before, its' really embarrassing not to find it. YES it's a real game. Trust me.)

Or a heck of a good way to meet attractive women. :rolleyes::lol:

It's a lot better than whipping out the mirror and "looking" under the bench she on...

I've done that - asking the lady in the skirt on the bench before the looking, that is.

It's a lot better than whipping out the mirror and "looking" under the bench she on...

I've done that - asking the lady in the skirt on the bench before the looking, that is.

I hope you weren't wearing your Jester outfit! :ph34r: