how do we stop this?

after a mega pirate weekend i cam home to find this artical in my local free mag, personaly i feel its very badly written and tells everyone exactly how to find a local cache to them with out them knowing the rules gidelines of the game i feel this is putting my caches at risk of muggles, is there n e way of stopping this also they have used the geocaching logo is this allowed?

http://issuu.com/tvdp/docs/aug-charing1?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fcolor%2Flayout.xml&backgroundColor=FFFFFF&showFlipBtn=true

hope my link works

opinuons please

after a mega pirate weekend i cam home to find this artical in my local free mag, personaly i feel its very badly written and tells everyone exactly how to find a local cache to them with out them knowing the rules gidelines of the game i feel this is putting my caches at risk of muggles, is there n e way of stopping this also they have used the geocaching logo is this allowed?

http://issuu.com/tvdp/docs/aug-charing1?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fcolor%2Flayout.xml&backgroundColor=FFFFFF&showFlipBtn=true

hope my link works

opinuons please

[/quote

page 34

Sorry to disappoint you but the mag only goes to page 32, the article is on page 25. After reading through it I find no mention of a cache in the area, or have I missed something. As to the article being in the local paper (mag) I dont think there is anything you can do. The only thing I can suggest is get in touch with the people that have published the article, have a word with them explaining your fears and ask them not to give too much information away in future articles (if any).

oops, spelling :mad:

Edited by speakers-corner

I don't really see what the problem is with the article. :huh:

i just thought as a newbiew reading it it dosnt give out much info about caching itself other than download an app and go find one. i think there has been to much adavatisement latley with the bbc one show then the one on the news, and they havent said whos in the pic or team names or n e thing seems a bit odd,

lmn

http://issuu.com/tvd...howFlipBtn=true

hope my link works

opinuons please

I agree! Why would we want anyone to find our caches?! The whole purpose of hiding them is so they can't be found, let alone by new people!

Edited by _TeamFitz_

Personally I don't think it's a bad article, certainly no worse than some others I've read or seen on the telly. The article that got me into Geocaching some 6-7 years ago was about 2 column inches in a walking mag that had much less good info that this.

Geocaching is nolonger an underground activity, it's going/gone mainstream and is regularly featured in magazines/papers/TV shows, so I reckon we just have to move with the times.

hope my link works

opinuons please

I'm not sure what the problem is. I got the impression from your message that it published the co-ordinates, but it doesn't. If we don't want this appearing then to be consistent we really would have to say that we don't want ANY publicity for caching.

Rgds, Andy

I use my phone for caching....i just need a few more months to save up some pennies from my 16 hour a week poundland job and after buying my child food (and me food too)......ill get there in the end i promise....dont hate the smartphone users....were not all bad i promise :unsure:

lol nothing againts smart phone usere just feel there will be more people doing it as a one off and muggling/not hiding properly or taking trackables never to be seen again. it was more fun when not so many ppl had hered of it.

If we don't want this appearing then to be consistent we really would have to say that we don't want ANY publicity for caching.

You just got my vote :):):)

And mine. Publicising the game has pretty much ruined it

Yep....

Still seems pretty much the same to me, just lots more caches and lots more people to get to know, really don't understand this exclusive secret club type thing.

lol nothing againts smart phone usere just feel there will be more people doing it as a one off and muggling/not hiding properly or taking trackables never to be seen again. it was more fun when not so many ppl had hered of it.

Maybe some people think it was more fun when you hadn't heard of it. Just a thought.

:ph34r:

I see the Mods are feeling a bit trigger happy tonight, so I'll apologise to LMN for any offence caused by my unduly sarcastic remark - I just meant to point out that everybody was a newbie once, and if all the 'old' cachers had taken such a supercilious tone then maybe many of us would never have got involved. Which would surely be a pity.

I see the Mods are feeling a bit trigger happy tonight, so I'll apologise to LMN for any offence caused by my unduly sarcastic remark - I just meant to point out that everybody was a newbie once, and if all the 'old' cachers had taken such a supercilious tone then maybe many of us would never have got involved. Which would surely be a pity.

+1

for starters, my son would be thoroughly pee'd off. NO PIRATEMANIA DAD?????????????????

The worst thing is that the magazine article didn`t stress the importance of writing the letters tftc and nothing more in the soggy log book and to then remove a soggy and musty smelling McDonalds toy without leaving anything in return. How will new cachers ever get up to speed with Geocaching 2011 and beyond?

PS To all new cachers who were introduced to caching from this article don`t forget to rewrap the cache in the wet Tesco carrier bag and always nearly replace it in the hiding place with part of the cache showing like most of the cachers seem to do these days.

I use my phone for caching....i just need a few more months to save up some pennies from my 16 hour a week poundland job and after buying my child food (and me food too)......ill get there in the end i promise....dont hate the smartphone users....were not all bad i promise :unsure:

hear hear - I use a smart phone along with my old tired forerunner which I have for riding, but it can't give me the cache info like my phone can (at least since I upgraded the phone I dont kill a tree every time I go caching with all the printouts!). I only started in March 2010 and a lot of threads here make me feel like most people wish myself and others hadn't started caching... I love it, my dog loves it (it's his fault I found out about caching) and tbh I feel I haven't looked back since I've started - met fab people, gone to amazing places I wouldnt have otherwise found, and have regular holidays with chums for more caching outings)

No I don't write TFTC (or if I do there are a lot more words with it) and I am SO paranoid about leaving a cache in a state that means it's too easily found.

Please don't tar all us newcomers with the same brush - yes they'll be some idiots, but just cos people have only recently started doesn't necessarily mean they will be!!!!

Please don't tar all us newcomers with the same brush - yes they'll be some idiots, but just cos people have only recently started doesn't necessarily mean they will be!!!!

I suspect that the idiots have always been amongst us, and in about the same proportion. If you have a thousand geocachers in the country and 1 percent are idiots that's only 10 people, if you have a million geocachers at the same percentage that's 10,000 people. That's the problem when hobbies get popular, the nutter level reaches a number that begins to have an impact over the whole country.

well if that person hadnt of told that person and that person hadnt of told that person and that person hadnt of told that person ect you will still have had your secret club with the perfect cache hides and never any DNFs or Muggled caches :ph34r:

Just sayin in some cases you can be a "old timer cacher whos been going since like 2002 but that still doesnt stop them putting a cache at the side of a housing estate to bulk up there numbers (which btw gets muggled at least twice a month) :blink:

Edited by jady1987

The worst thing is that the magazine article didn`t stress the importance of writing the letters tftc and nothing more in the soggy log book and to then remove a soggy and musty smelling McDonalds toy without leaving anything in return. How will new cachers ever get up to speed with Geocaching 2011 and beyond?

PS To all new cachers who were introduced to caching from this article don`t forget to rewrap the cache in the wet Tesco carrier bag and always nearly replace it in the hiding place with part of the cache showing like most of the cachers seem to do these days.

Precisely - the article doesn't suggest any of these things. So just where do new cachers see and copy this behaviour. Oh right, from already established cachers..... :blink:

It isn't about "old timers" or perfect hides or anything like that. In caching more is most definitely less.

The problem isn't when people tell others and introduce them to the game, it's when lots of people read a newspaper or magazine article or hear of it on the television or radio. They go out, they find a cache on their own, they place a few caches on their own, they never pop into the forums and get any tips. They were not INTRODUCED into the game and so we end up with a mass of crap.

Of course there was crap back then, there were DNFs as well, caches were muggled, neglected caches, caches in rubbish. We just seem to have ended up with a lot more of them now. It's undeniably harder to find the good caches these day buried amongst the huge amount of ruBbish

I'm not saying for a moment that anyone reading this is guilty of placing caches like these, of course we all think our caches are great, but then most people on the forums get to hear about the rubbish. The vast majority of cachers just plod along finding the crud and thinking that is what the game is. They never wonder into the forums.

Caching used to be a great way to find places worth visiting. You can still do that it's just a whole lot harder now.

Icenians i completly agree....thats why i always check the satilite version of the map when im planning my caching day! I want to go somewhere that either i never knew exsisted and want to visit or somewhere i knew was there but never had the chance to go! I found a nature reserve just behind my house that i never knew about.....(its in a massive industrial estate) Thats the sort of caches id prefere to see more of, not the ones that are placed in a playground (i did one as i was there with my lil boy but i thought it was pointless)(who wants to be stood in some bushes in a busy playground trying to use stealth but at the same time looking like a weirdo near the kids) :ph34r:

Lets hope with the mags and tv coverage that people do come on and read the guidlines ect before placing there random caches out into the world.....Ive seen some amazing places on my travels where i could happily put a cache but with only having 82 finds i still dont feel ready to set one free yet :blink: Gotta get to 150+ before ill think about publishing it :)

The article was written by a publisher who has been involved in caching for a few years. He was quite careful to make it readable but without giving too much away and the picture will be a 'stock photo' which means that he will have paid to use it and the people won't be named. He gave permission for the article to be used by other independent community magazines across the UK so quite a few people are likely to see it. It was in our local magazine, the Walsall Pioneer Magazine, a month ago and I was intrigued. Bought a GPS device and here we are 64 caches later. Geokids are loving it and we are certainly doing a lot of miles on the bikes. It's a pity if some existing cachers don't feel comfortable with newbies joining in. Perhaps if they feel the quality of newbie caches are likely to be poor, they could simply not do them....

This post is from a sock puppet account to make it look like Hywel is posting - the name is spelt with a minor difference which is not easily seen.

Lilian

If we don't want this appearing then to be consistent we really would have to say that we don't want ANY publicity for caching.

You just got my vote :):):)

And mine. Publicising the game has pretty much ruined it

Yep....

have to say, I agree too

I'm just hoping that slug counting doesn't get publicised.

Every time this comes up it leaves me thinking about "the game" cuz thats l33t (elite) too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_%28mind_game%29

and I just lost

And now so have I. Grrr

And now sooo have i :ph34r:

Darn it! I just broke a 51 year winning streak..

I disagree, The Game is far from elite, it is being played by every sentient being in the universe.

And I've just lost for the first time in over 56 years.

Try as some of you might, Geocaching is no longer an exclusive secretive word-of-mouth game for those that think it should only be told to people they deem "suitable".

No, this has gone mainstream, and is being actively promoted as a legitimate activity by associations and councils in an effort to get families out of their houses, and exploring their local areas and beyond a lot more. My local council now holds one day courses on this as part of a summer activities program, and they have placed 3 of their own caches in a local forest with 2 proper caches also mapped out for course attendees.

They have found that the kids love the mix of technology and the internet with an outdoor activity and they really love doing this. The one day course was what convinced me to get into it finally, although I already knew about it, but hadn't given it a go before.

You will start to see a lot more press about this, and it will grow beyond Groundspeak and geocaching.com eventually, as there are already sites like opencaching.com running, and this activity can only get bigger.

At St Oicks University in Stretchford, Dr Harry Goth-Jones the vice-chancellor has just announced courses in Geocaching in the Community, supported by the City Council, who have commissioned R. S. Viswaswami to set caches in lovely Sadcake Park.

The courses are three years in length, and cover:

The setting of micro caches in large power trails.

The use of Google Earth to set coordinates for students not able to afford a GPS.

Why you don't actually need to find a cache in order to log it.

Cache looting and trading down.

How to make a huge pile of sticks.

Collecting geocoins is good because property is theft.

How to rehide a cache in a completely different location from where you found it.

Ammo cans are militaristic memorabilia; dog tags are sweet.

The benefits of fragile use-once takeaway food containers for caches.

Why putting a tiny water-absorbent sachet in the cache is a good substitute for a waterproof container.

Cache log rolls - the smaller the better.

The advantages of setting impossible puzzles.

The fun of setting a 27-stage multi and leaving out the final.

At St Oicks University in Stretchford, Dr Harry Goth-Jones the vice-chancellor has just announced courses in Geocaching in the Community, supported by the City Council, who have commissioned R. S. Viswaswami to set caches in lovely Sadcake Park.

The use of Google Earth to set coordinates for students not able to afford a GPS.

How to rehide a cache in a completely different location from where you found it.

Why putting a tiny water-absorbent sachet in the cache is a good substitute for a waterproof container.

:laughing: :laughing:

And by the look of things the first graduates are already out there ;)

You forgot a few lessons, although they may be reserved for the four year course:

1. Making a cache more challenging by posting wildly inaccurate coordinates

2. Community Caching - guessing the coordinates and inviting people to post more accurate figures

3. Enjoying Nature While Caching - hiding micro caches in areas used as dog latrines

4. Cache In Trash - hiding film pots under piles of rotting rubbish

5. Dog Poo Is Fun - or at least dog poo bins provide great places to hide nano caches.

6. The Joys Of Rot13 - posting a hideously long clue that says "This cache is hidden a way that leaves me thinking you probably don't need a clue. Hope you enjoyed decrypting the Rot13 by hand in the field"

7. The Useless Clue - when all you can see for hundreds of yards in all directions are ivy covered trees and the clue says "ivy covered tree".

You forgot a few lessons, although they may be reserved for the four year course:

1. Making a cache more challenging by posting wildly inaccurate coordinates

2. Community Caching - guessing the coordinates and inviting people to post more accurate figures

3. Enjoying Nature While Caching - hiding micro caches in areas used as dog latrines

4. Cache In Trash - hiding film pots under piles of rotting rubbish

5. Dog Poo Is Fun - or at least dog poo bins provide great places to hide nano caches.

6. The Joys Of Rot13 - posting a hideously long clue that says "This cache is hidden a way that leaves me thinking you probably don't need a clue. Hope you enjoyed decrypting the Rot13 by hand in the field"

7. The Useless Clue - when all you can see for hundreds of yards in all directions are ivy covered trees and the clue says "ivy covered tree".

As Dr Heinz Kiosk always says, "We are all guilty!"