To get the ball rolling in your community of mugglers!

I have made these to get people aware of geocaching in your community, I left the tear offs blank in-case you have a local website or group or anything else you want to put there. Please feel free to comment or critique.

DOWNLOAD

Right click and "save image as"

5977001274_b9c0c707e2_b.jpg5977049982_289806b995_b.jpg5977050046_ed30be770b_b.jpg

5976540307_7b7e1e6688_b.jpg

I am going to make versions with different colors, if you have a request just use this form

Background Color:

Font Color:

Edited by Hunter275

A different perspective...

This may seem a little Nit-Picky, but I think you are pushing a little too hard. Good intentions, yes, but too much good can be bad.

Now, before we all jump to conclusions.....

I know you are excited about geocaching. Probably not different than any of us others. Yes -- here comes the ....but...

You have been a member for 4+ months, with 5 finds (on this account), all within the past week. Now, here you are, trying to convert the world.

Don't you think you just may be rushing things a bit? No? Well, I do.

You have a geocaching blog, you have a lot of ideas. This is all and good, in fact it is great, but I would really suggest that you s-l-o-w down a bit. Quite likely, there is a bit more for you to learn about geocaching.

A simple, very simple example: The term is MUGGLE or MUGGLES, not mugglers.

The entire world, or even your entire community is not interested in, desires to try, or even is necessarily wanted in geocaching. I know, that's really hard to believe, but it's true.

Those that aren't interested should remain as they are, muggles. To introduce everyone and everybody to geocaching is not a good thing. Should they be aware of it, yes (perhaps). Should everyone know all there is to know about it? I think not! It will only invite trouble. You could teach everyone how to load, aim and shoot a gun, but should you? No? Why not?

For another thing, your posters (as you have them at this time), seem to portray you as a spokesperson for geocaching.com, a commercial enterprise owned by Groundspeak, Inc. Just what position do hold within that organization or what right do you have to do what you propose? Are you sure they want you to do that?

Before you make such a leap, I would suggest that you present it to those in control of this enterprise, or use both hands to cover your buttocks.

For another thing, your posters (as you have them at this time), seem to portray you as a spokesperson for geocaching.com, a commercial enterprise owned by Groundspeak, Inc. Just what position do hold within that organization or what right do you have to do what you propose? Are you sure they want you to do that?

Before you make such a leap, I would suggest that you present it to those in control of this enterprise, or use both hands to cover your buttocks.

I'm pretty sure that's not a problem. The posters never mention Groundspeak, and if they did, who would care? You don't need to hold a position or "right" to staple up some posters. Groundspeak isn't synonymous to geocaching, and Groundspeak doesn't own geocaching. And if they did, would they really go around suing people for putting a poster on a telephone pole?

This may seem a little Nit-Picky, but I think you are pushing a little too hard. Good intentions, yes, but too much good can be bad.

I know you are excited about geocaching. Probably not different than any of us others. Yes -- here comes the ....but...

You have been a member for 4+ months, with 5 finds (on this account), all within the past week. Now, here you are, trying to convert the world.

You have a geocaching blog, you have a lot of ideas. This is all and good, in fact it is great, but I would really suggest that you s-l-o-w down a bit. Quite likely, there is a bit more for you to learn about geocaching.

The entire world, or even your entire community is not interested in, desires to try, or even is necessarily wanted in geocaching. I know, that's really hard to believe, but it's true.

Those that aren't interested should remain as they are, muggles. To introduce everyone and everybody to geocaching is not a good thing. Should they be aware of it, yes (perhaps). Should everyone know all there is to know about it? I think not! It will only invite trouble. You could teach everyone how to load, aim and shoot a gun, but should you? No? Why not?

Thanks your for the input, I did this more of a technology project than a Geocaching one. Quoting a group or organization does not make you a spokesperson. A journalist who quotes Shakespeare doesn't make them a playwright. Also sorry about the mugglers thing, didn't know you took all that seriously, it is after all a Harry Potter term.

Edited by Hunter275

Actually, it is not a Harry Potter thing. J.K. Rowling did not invent the term. It pre-existed her.

Perhaps I do take geocaching a bit more serious than you, perhaps too, I am older......

Age has nothing to do with it. Maybe you do take it more seriously or maybe you don't. I wanted to make the posters and I made them. I did not mean to step on any toes and I'm not here to bend over backwards to please everyone either. This is not the place to argue, I don't want to have a flame war over some posters.

Actually, it is not a Harry Potter thing. J.K. Rowling did not invent the term. It pre-existed her.

Perhaps I do take geocaching a bit more serious than you, perhaps too, I am older......

Age has nothing to do with it. Maybe you do take it more seriously or maybe you don't. I wanted to make the posters and I made them. I did not mean to step on any toes and I'm not here to bend over backwards to please everyone either. This is not the place to argue, I don't want to have a flame war over some posters.

In your post you asked for comments and critique, now that the critique is not turning out as you wanted you are complaining about it ????? I thought some of the comments made were good, including those from Glitchee-Gummee. Please make up your mind, do you wish to have comments etc. or are you just showing us what you can do.

In your post you asked for comments and critique, now that the critique is not turning out as you wanted you are complaining about it ????? I thought some of the comments made were good, including those from Glitchee-Gummee. Please make up your mind, do you wish to have comments etc. or are you just showing us what you can do.

I am not complaining, I asked for comments and critique on the posters. His comment was about the thread title.

He commented on the fact that I have only been geocaching for a little while, the fact that mugglers is not right terminology, and that to him age was a factor on how seriously I take geocaching.

He had one poster critique. He states that

"For another thing, your posters (as you have them at this time), seem to portray you as a spokesperson for geocaching.com, a commercial enterprise owned by Groundspeak, Inc. Just what position do hold within that organization or what right do you have to do what you propose? Are you sure they want you to do that?

Before you make such a leap, I would suggest that you present it to those in control of this enterprise, or use both hands to cover your buttocks."

And I thanked him for his input and stated that I think differently.

Not sure where you get that its not a Harry Potter thing..

"Rowling has said she created the word "Muggle" from "mug", an English term for someone who is easily fooled. She added the "-gle" to make it sound less demeaning and more "cuddly".[2]"

Sorry off topic I know

How did the term "muggle" come to be for non-geocaching peeps

There's been tons of threads about this term, and others. Some use muggle, some mugglers, others plunderers. Muggler is popular inbmy town. I use all three depending on the log, and I don't use them often. I don't know anything about Harry Potter, except that I didn't like the first movie so I tend to use muggler to stay away from any HP references.

As for the posters, they're nicely done and a good idea. I wouldn't advertise geocaching willy nilly, but I'd probably put one up at the library or YMCA or some place I liked.

Also, when you are new and have under a certain amount of finds, be prepared to get treated poorly on these forums if you speak up too much. The same happened to me, and it's a pattern that's been repeated here over the past year.

This forum doesn't represent the real world of geocaching. Keep that in mind. We all mostly are unfamiliar with each other, and forums are for discussion, debate and opinion. It gets rough here at times.

I've never met a geocacher in real life that was unkind to me, as a newbie or now. I'll probably get a bit of a flame now telling me I AM still a newbie! :)

Keep up with your enthusiasm for the game, and have fun! There are lots of great experiences to be had caching. Much beyond what you'd expect.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Not sure where you get that its not a Harry Potter thing..

"Rowling has said she created the word "Muggle" from "mug", an English term for someone who is easily fooled. She added the "-gle" to make it sound less demeaning and more "cuddly".[2]"

Sorry off topic I know

From history, as it's a word that has been around since the 1920's. It meant someone who had no actual skills, which she just used in her books to mean no magical skill. It also has another meaning that I don't think she bothered to consider either.

On topic, it's never a bad thing to want to spread the good word about geocaching, I think what Gitchee was going for is that instead of a shotgun approach to interest people, perhaps for an activity like this it might be better to try to interest people on a personal basis. Not only will you be able to identify those people who would actually be interested, you can share your knowledge with them and save them fumbling around, trying to figure it out on their own.

Do both if you want. I'd test out a small number first and then check to see how many tears you get off of them.

I'm pretty sure that's not a problem. The posters never mention Groundspeak, and if they did, who would care? You don't need to hold a position or "right" to staple up some posters. Groundspeak isn't synonymous to geocaching, and Groundspeak doesn't own geocaching. And if they did, would they really go around suing people for putting a poster on a telephone pole?
The poster has it's little explanation of geocaching, followed by

- Geocaching.com

While I believe he meant that to attribute the definition to them, it looks more like the closing/signature line in a letter. Since geocaching.com is owned by Groundspeak, that's where Gitchee-Gummee's getting the idea. Also, I'm assuming the little tear-offs would have the gc.com address on them. Here's where Groundspeak might take issue. I've seen such posters many times. I've seen them in places where it is appropriate to put them, I have seen places where it is inappropriate to put them. Does Groundspeak want folks plastering posters that are attributed to them, with their address, when they don't have the ability to control where these will land?

To the OP: If you really feel you want to advertise with posters, consider changing the "Treasure Hunt" bit to something like "Scavenger Hunt." The whole treasure hunt concept brings up images of buried stashes, an image that got caches banned from National Parks for a long time.

I am not complaining, I asked for comments and critique on the posters. His comment was about the thread title.

He commented on the fact that I have only been geocaching for a little while, the fact that mugglers is not right terminology, and that to him age was a factor on how seriously I take geocaching.

He had one poster critique. He states that

"For another thing, your posters (as you have them at this time), seem to portray you as a spokesperson for geocaching.com, a commercial enterprise owned by Groundspeak, Inc. Just what position do hold within that organization or what right do you have to do what you propose? Are you sure they want you to do that?

Before you make such a leap, I would suggest that you present it to those in control of this enterprise, or use both hands to cover your buttocks."

And I thanked him for his input and stated that I think differently.

Gitchee said a lot more than that. I agreed with almost all of it, and thought that it was very well worded. I think you owe it to yourself to do a more careful and thoughtful reading of that post. The one piece that you are quoting is the one small part of that post that I thought I would not have said myself.

I like your posters and it seems everyone here is being hypercritical of a kid who is trying to do something productive with his time rather than do things kids get themselves into trouble with. Most people on here are making some valid points, but some are just nit picking. I read a thread about how kids shouldn't be allowed to post here, clearly adults are just as bad as kids--I think he came here for some feedback, not to be torn apart for calling them mugglers. These forums are leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by RoandJoe

I like your posters and it seems everyone here is being hypercritical of a kid who is trying to do something productive with his time rather than do things kids get themselves into trouble with. Most people on here are making some valid points, but some are just nit picking. I read a thread about how kids shouldn't be allowed to post here, clearly adults are just as bad as kids--I think he came here for some feedback, not to be torn apart for calling them mugglers. These forums are leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

he was Not torn apart for calling them mugglers, an explanation of the origin was given which has been covered in many threads.

When you post and ask for comments and critique, you are asking for responses, not just "atta boys"

What I don't understand is the tear off tabs. When Hunter or whom ever puts their info there, are they saying they are experienced enough to hold classes?

Gitchee-Gummee has said it well.

I see these type of posters in grocery stores for day care, etc. Not sure I'd want to see one of these hung up on the bulletin board or anywhere else. The reason some caches are made Premium only is because anyone and their brother can sign on, locate caches and destroy them. I don't think in most areas this is a big problem but there are groups of anti-cachers that remove the "geotrash" and leave their own trash in the form of a crappy note.

This type of poster, depending on where it's hung could bring out more of the "lets wreck it" types. Sorry, that's how I feel.

As for kids not being allowed to post - I think it was determined that question came up because of guidelines on this site - Not because of maturity.

True, that was nit-picky [muggles v. mugglers] as I said before pointing it out -- it does point out a "rush to publish w/o all the facts". I had considered bring up the "treasure hunt" aspect, but declined to do so.

But the truth of the matter is, it isn't about that, nor is it a matter of correcting an "incorrectness"... I like Hunter275's enthusiasm and his willingness to contribute. It is about the rush to git 'er done and include the whole world doing it in a shotgun approach (thanks, Aptly.Matched), without considering some of the unintended ramifications.

I have no intent nor desire to belittle or flame him. I find it far better to commend him and try to haul his reigns in just a touch. Tight reigns make for better thought processes.

I'm in the same line of thought here. It's not about "stopping" outreach from happening. Rather, it's about making sure to help foster a community of people who can make the game work well, and within the guidelines. Getting posters out there is a start, but consider this:

Put them up and advertise a meeting to discuss what geocaching is. Use it as an opportunity to educate people, especially on the guidelines and finer points of geocaching. We don't want a bunch of "converted muggles" running out into the woods willy-nilly placing geocaches without permissions, or some better context of what the game is.

It's nice that you're thinking of ways to get geocaching "out there", but you should really consider how it is that you are doing it. Partner with a local organization. If there isn't one, START ONE! Then, you have a group of people that can do the best kind of "What is geocaching?" introduction by getting out and showing people how it is done [properly].

I don't want to have a flame war over some posters.

Hoo-boy! If you think that was a flame, you have led a very sheltered life.

The reason I have the -Geocaching.com is because that is a direct quote from http://www.geocaching.com/articles/geocachenote.txt
Uh-huh, that's why I said:
The poster has it's little explanation of geocaching, followed by

- Geocaching.com

While I believe he meant that to attribute the definition to them, it looks more like the closing/signature line in a letter. Since geocaching.com is owned by Groundspeak, that's where Gitchee-Gummee's getting the idea.
Honestly, I think people would be more interested in a pamphlet they can hand to someone to explain the game to either someone they encounter while caching or someone that it has come up in conversation with.

Frankly, I think we shouldn't try to strive for more awareness. Caches are vulnerable enough as it is, without introducing more risk of theft and vandalism by advertising the game. The game has grown well enough without advertising it. There are plenty of caches to be found, and plenty of users playing. If anything, there's a bit too much.

Frankly, I think we shouldn't try to strive for more awareness. Caches are vulnerable enough as it is, without introducing more risk of theft and vandalism by advertising the game. The game has grown well enough without advertising it. There are plenty of caches to be found, and plenty of users playing. If anything, there's a bit too much.

Exactly!! Did Harry Potter go around putting up posters about his magic in an effort to convert the "mugglers" [sic]? I don't think so.

Rather than putting up flyers, why not start with selected friends? We were introduced to it by one of our camping buddies several years ago. I've introduced friends to it by asking them if we could grab a cache that I knew was right where we were dining downtown. I also will upload pictures of super cool hides or neat things I see while out caching to my FB page, usually with "For all my geocaching buddies.." in the caption. Most of my friends know we're into it & are all to happy to let me grab a cache if we're out & about and there's a cool one right where we're at.

...Put them up and advertise a meeting to discuss what geocaching is...

t's nice that you're thinking of ways to get geocaching "out there", but you should really consider how it is that you are doing it. Partner with a local organization. If there isn't one, START ONE! Then, you have a group of people that can do the best kind of "What is geocaching?" introduction by getting out and showing people how it is done [properly].

Honestly, I think people would be more interested in a pamphlet they can hand to someone to explain the game to either someone they encounter while caching or someone that it has come up in conversation with.

I'm going to steal a bit from what others are saying here.

Hunter275, these are both very good ideas that can be combined or used separately to get more people interested in geocaching. In case you were unaware, Geocaching.com does make brochures available in color or black and white, as well as various languages.

Pull tabs? Don't need them.

vegan_carnivore.jpg

Oh, and the correct term is muggle, not muggler. The geocaching reference does come from Harry Potter even if that word existed before J.K. Rowling used it. Nowhere in the books will you find it as muggler.

I think that was covered already. (The muggler part)

Edited by RoandJoe