Micros ... the cache that killed geocahing

Yeah, we're terrible people. :o We don't have anything constructive to add, we just want to keep looking at her picture! :blink::rolleyes::D

I didn't say a word.. :ph34r:

Isn't it weird how geocaching warps your mind? How we now find a woman in a tree hunting a micro sexier than anything in Playboy?

Speak for yourself. I like the ones that rush out to be FTF on difficult puzzles and paddle-to's, and who like to do cave exploring as well as long hikes with lots of hiking up steep terrain with nice views, and then write very long, detailed, but honest logs about their adventure, sometimes sprinked with a few emoticons, and who have a tolerance for those who write long, rambling run on sentences.

"Micro" .... the cache that killed geocaching
Better define "killed" please. I don't see that geocaching has even slowed down a little in the decade since it's been going on.

I have had my fill of micro caches. I just got back from finding another micro.... a nano on a guardrail...so what.
I think it's awesome that you've hidden several micros yourself. You came back later to try and make it sound like you were only complaining about lamp post and guardrail micros, but your first post clearly identifies micros in general as the issue. You've had your fill of micros, so you want to seriously limit them from the entire geocaching community and force everyone else to play the way you (recently) like.

Would kids enjoy finding one ...no.

Can you drop a geocoin ... no.

Can you pick up a travel bug ... no.

Can you trade any swag or sig. items ... no.

Are they placed generally with regards to the what size of cache the area can sustain... no often there are micros in woods.

What is the percentage of micros ? Has it done anything for the sale of travel bug tags or travel of geocoins.

The good news is that you can filter out Micros (and Small, just to be sure), and you'll never have to see another micro cache... EVER. But why should you be inconvenienced to put forth a little effort to increase your enjoyment? It would be far easier if you could change the entire game and deprive those that enjoy micros just so you won't have to find any.

My proposition is to greatly limit the number of micros as it would be better for the sustainability of geocaching.
Again, you're willing to change the entire game to suit your whims, and then claim it's because it would help sustain a game that is having no problem whatsoever being sustained. Edited by Mushtang

"Micro" .... the cache that killed geocaching

It's just as accurate to say "Micro... the cache that revitalized geocaching."

In fact, if you look at the ratio of micros to other sizes found by most cachers, it's probably MORE accurate.

Of course, neither statement is true. Geocaching is alive and well. Don't like micros? Filter them out.

I like all caches... (well, mostly). When I go to a new store or a doctor's office, etc. I try to look for 1-2 nearby caches. For those urban adventures, micros are the norm. Without micros, going to the dentist would be as mundane as... going to the dentist!

Micros are killing geocaching? I think you exaggerate a bit, maybe a lot.

I found some great micros on my first successful kayaking run last Saturday. For the past few years some of the local cachers including my closest geopals have been hiding caches around our lakes that are far easier to access via paddlecraft than on foot. Micros are killing the sport? Nah-they are allowing caching to take place in areas that are new to many of us. There are over 100 paddle caches around here now. Somehow I cannot picture someone heading out with a dozen loaded ammo cans in their boats. You don't need swag or trackables to hide good caches, or to have FUN finding them. You just need interesting spots or methods of getting there to have FUN geocaching. Most of the experienced cachers I know are over trackables and swag, and just want to have FUN finding caches of all sizes.

That's another really good point! I did a Kayaking cache that was a micro. It was easy to find, but it had to be tethered to a tree because it was deep in mangroves, where flooding is routine. An ammo can would be swamped there and/or washed away.

Edit to add:

LOL! I thought that picture was confined to Page 1 only!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I have no issues with a good micro. Though all things being equal, I prefer a larger cache.

Even with a cache in a tree; one of my favourites was a multi-cache; where the penultimate stage required climbing a tree; but the final was an ammo can hidden in a cave. If the final had been a micro in that tree it still would have been a favourite; but with the ammo can it was even better.

Fortunately there are no photos of me climbing that tree.. :)

Im not a fan of micros, but for some reason I still add them to my PQ's. Ive found a few really cool ones so I cant just disregard them all. But I do spend way less time searching for them while caching.

A buddy of mine is trying to make them as small as possible. He has one that is the size of a pinky nail, with hardly any room on the log. Such a was of time searching for that IMO.

The feature I'd really like to see is for the system to correlate my favorites with the favorites of others, to show me caches enjoyed by people with similar preferences to my own.
H yes. Now THAT would be great. At one time it seemed like that was gonna be the way it was gonna go. But that lasted for about 10 minutes. I don't think we are gonna see it happen any time soon.
This is an awesome idea! You're right. There are plenty or caches here highly favored that aren't my thing. They were great caches, but many people enjoy evil caches and I don't so much.

I hope this goes through.

Feel free to vote for the suggestion on the feedback site:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1083957-recommend-caches

The feature I'd really like to see is for the system to correlate my favorites with the favorites of others, to show me caches enjoyed by people with similar preferences to my own.

That would be an awesome, great feature. Whenever I log in to Amazon and they say "we have recommendations for you," I'm always surprised at what a good job they do identifying books that I would like.

The problem is that they have a patent on the algorithm that does that. GS would have to either license the algorithm, or be very careful to come up with a completely different method of getting the same results.

If you have suggestions for specific limits on caches based on size, then feel free to post them on the feedback.geocaching.com site. They'll probably be declined, but that's the appropriate place for specific suggestions.

If you just want to rant, then this is the place. I'll point out that many of my favorite caches have been micro sized caches. Some have even been nano sized caches. At least one is a micro in the woods, and no, a larger container would not have worked at that location. De gustibus non est disputandum.

If you want to improve your geocaching experience, then use the tools available to you to limit your searches to the types of caches you enjoy. For more information about pocket queries, see:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

You can also hide the types of caches you enjoy, and encourage others to hide those types of caches. But trying to prevent others from hiding the types of caches they enjoy is probably futile.

Haven't checked, but I do not believe any of my "Favorit" caches are micros. I have found some that are enjoyable, but for the most part, they are predictable and boaring. I try to avoid them. In my stats, you can see that they are like 19% of my finds or something small like that.

:):)

Yeah, we're terrible people. :o We don't have anything constructive to add, we just want to keep looking at her picture! :blink::rolleyes::D

Guilty as charged.

Wait, wait! I have something to add that's even on topic!

"Micros killed Geocaching" reminds me a lot of the statement attributed to Yogi Berra when describing a restaurant:

"No one ever goes there because it is always too crowded."

Actually, puzzles are the cache that killed geocaching because you can't geocache until you solve a puzzle that often requires knowledge of higher math, the enigma code, and three completely illogical and unrelated leaps of faith. Have there been any good "ban puzzles" threads since this one?

Edited by justacacher

So, even the OP says that there are micros that are good, so how do you decide which micros are worthy and which should go away? Are we going to implement a "Micro-Wow-Factor" Rule? Sounds like a big headache to me...

LOL! I thought that picture was confined to Page 1 only!
Nope. :ph34r: Oops! here it is again!
IMAG0728.jpg
Seriously, what's up with your toes? Nothing wrong with big feet, I have big feet. You know what they say about people with big feet... :anibad:

Big Shoes! :laughing:

My favorite cache is a multi with a very well camoflouged micro as the first part and then a full sized cache as the end. It was the cache that made my husband and I spin in circles, then decide we were gonna leave.. till we both went... no way, it can't be up there?!. We climbed a tree and found the cache that then had the numbers for a padlock on a bird house. It was amazing.. and is now the cache that will have to live up to all others in our mind..

Ok, you caught us! It was TheAlabamaRambler that took it. This whole thread has been a farce. :)

Thanks, now I have to explain to my wife of 38 years why I was out caching with and taking lewd pictures of some hottie she didn't know about. :blink:

Just tell her you refuse to hunt micros alone.

I rarely cache alone at all! The perfect wife would geocache. The Nearly perfect wife that I have doesn't cache but likes it that I do. Actually she does like to cache, but only to ones I have been to, know that she can walk to easily and that I have assured her have plenty of trinkets to dig through! We are blessed to have enjoyed a natural trust relationship since the day we met, and throughout our raising of five kids (37, 35, 28, 22 and 20) neither has given the other any reason to think about that, much less question it. I regularly cache with women all over the country, some she knows, all she at least knows about. It's not a problem. She has never and never will have cause to doubt my undying love for her. And of course it doesn't hurt that she's still hot at 57! She still looks like she did at 19. That gives her a certain confidence. :rolleyes:

Ok, you caught us! It was TheAlabamaRambler that took it. This whole thread has been a farce. :)

Thanks, now I have to explain to my wife of 38 years why I was out caching with and taking lewd pictures of some hottie she didn't know about. :blink:

Just tell her you refuse to hunt micros alone.

I rarely cache alone at all! The perfect wife would geocache. The Nearly perfect wife that I have doesn't cache but likes it that I do. Actually she does like to cache, but only to ones I have been to, know that she can walk to easily and that I have assured her have plenty of trinkets to dig through! We are blessed to have enjoyed a natural trust relationship since the day we met, and throughout our raising of five kids (37, 35, 28, 22 and 20) neither has given the other any reason to think about that, much less question it. I regularly cache with women all over the country, some she knows, all she at least knows about. It's not a problem. She has never and never will have cause to doubt my undying love for her. And of course it doesn't hurt that she's still hot at 57! She still looks like she did at 19. That gives her a certain confidence. :rolleyes:

Its getting too mushy in here to cache barefoot. :lol:

I have cached with others, and have enjoyed it. I mostly cache alone. My husband has been on a few with me but doesn't like hiking.

For the record, TAR didn't take the picture. I have lots of self pictures in my gallery! My phone has a camera timer and a kickstand!

I hope we have changed the OPs mind about micros, or at least given them some useful information on how to avoid hunting what you don't enjoy.

I think every cache has it's place.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Possibly you are correct. However, just two days ago I had a great climb up a tree in a beautiful park to grab a nano seated in a micro container. I was glad I decided to rethink my boycott of micros.

I'm not sure an ammo can would remain tethered 15 feet up a tree for long! Frankly, I felt guilty for favoring a micro/nano cache! But the experience and scenery were so good!

PS: Picture not posted with cache log to avoid spoiler.

"Skirt lifting...not as fun as it sounds."

"Sometimes size does matter. Boycott nanos."

I really did think the same thing about micros. On a recent trip though I missed some good walking in the park micros because I.excluded micros in my PQ. I regretted it and realized sterortyping all micros isn't beneficial.

I suspect that you missed more chaff that way than grist.

That is TOTALLY COOL! I've been wanting to hide a cache in a tree but my hubby keeps talking me out of it. He doesn't think any of the old cachers will be able to find it. Now I'm definitely doing it. And I'll be sure not to make it a micro or nano or whatever just to keep the OP happy!

I am 61 and I've climbed plenty of trees looking for caches. Keeps me young.

That is TOTALLY COOL! I've been wanting to hide a cache in a tree but my hubby keeps talking me out of it. He doesn't think any of the old cachers will be able to find it. Now I'm definitely doing it. And I'll be sure not to make it a micro or nano or whatever just to keep the OP happy!

Hiding up in a tree will excludes some cache hunters for sure. I think the terrain on that one was a 4 or 4.5, and the difficulty a 4. I actually linked to the wrong cache there!

Some of my hiking caches exclude some cachers in my area. But I hide what I like. There are plenty of caches for everyone!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=df0cd490-1273-4258-bb6c-1ca82af7240a

I am not to keen on heights but I wasn't scared enough to not get the cache. If it was any higher I don't think I would have attempted it.

I enjoy high terrain caches much more than high difficulty.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay