Micros ... the cache that killed geocahing

"Micro" .... the cache that killed geocaching

I have had my fill of micro caches. I just got back from finding another micro.... a nano on a guardrail...so what.

Would kids enjoy finding one ...no.

Can you drop a geocoin ... no.

Can you pick up a travel bug ... no.

Can you trade any swag or sig. items ... no.

Are they placed generally with regards to the what size of cache the area can sustain... no often there are micros in woods.

What is the percentage of micros ? Has it done anything for the sale of travel bug tags or travel of geocoins.

My proposition is to greatly limit the number of micros as it would be better for the sustainability of geocaching.

a nice micro is better than a lame non-waterproof tupperware container IMHO. Personally I think power trails are a worse thing than micros, but that is just me. Sure, I would rather find a nice regular sized cache but you are not going to be able to safely hide those in many urban places so why not a bison in a little grove of trees?

If its about guard rails or LPCs discussion, well, no, I do not like those kind of hides with a few exceptions, but really, I do not think they are killing geocaching.

"Micro" .... the cache that killed geocaching

I have had my fill of micro caches. I just got back from finding another micro.... a nano on a guardrail...so what.

Would kids enjoy finding one ...no.

Can you drop a geocoin ... no.

Can you pick up a travel bug ... no.

Can you trade any swag or sig. items ... no.

Are they placed generally with regards to the what size of cache the area can sustain... no often there are micros in woods.

What is the percentage of micros ? Has it done anything for the sale of travel bug tags or travel of geocoins.

My proposition is to greatly limit the number of micros as it would be better for the sustainability of geocaching.

Geeze, is it that time of the month already? Will somebody check the schedule?

Seriously, Sandtracker... what has size got to do with it? Swag? I don't know about you, but I haven't traded any swag after my first month or two. Coins and TBs? They're cool. But they're not geocaching to me. Micros in the woods? Yeah, probably a few, but most that I know of are not in the woods. Rather, I suspect you are just having a bad day for some reason. Micros can be lame, and they can be fun, but size has nothing to do with it for me.

Make a PQ that excludes micros. That's what I do sometimes. A lot of micros are in scenic spots though. So instead of excluding micros, and possibly missing out on a great location, I use Google Maps to scout cache locations. If I see caches in a green area or on dirt trails, I'm there no matter the size.

One thing I do like about micros is that they only contain a log. I hate swag. I have ammo cans and I don't like swag in them at all.

I just did a trail of micros that took me on an awesome tour of Cocoa Beach!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

If you have suggestions for specific limits on caches based on size, then feel free to post them on the feedback.geocaching.com site. They'll probably be declined, but that's the appropriate place for specific suggestions.

If you just want to rant, then this is the place. I'll point out that many of my favorite caches have been micro sized caches. Some have even been nano sized caches. At least one is a micro in the woods, and no, a larger container would not have worked at that location. De gustibus non est disputandum.

If you want to improve your geocaching experience, then use the tools available to you to limit your searches to the types of caches you enjoy. For more information about pocket queries, see:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

You can also hide the types of caches you enjoy, and encourage others to hide those types of caches. But trying to prevent others from hiding the types of caches they enjoy is probably futile.

I don't mind micros in unique locations or clever hides, but the sheer number of guard rails and Lamp post skirt caches is unbelievable.

Uh, half your hides are micros. You even have a walmart parking lot hide. :ph34r:

Are you seriously gonna complain here?

Oops. :o I'm staying out of this one, by the way.

I don't mind micros in unique locations or clever hides, but the sheer number of guard rails and Lamp post skirt caches is unbelievable.

Uh, half your hides are micros. You even have a walmart parking lot hide. :ph34r:

Oh, snap! Busted!

Try again, my Walmart hide is neither in a guard rail nor a lamp post. Booya. Like I said, I like my micros to be clever.

:lol: Good catch!

Again, my WalMart hide may not be an ammo can in the woods, but it is not in a guard rail or Lamp post either.

You are right it is not about the size of the cache. It is about the thought and creativity put into placing the cache.

When you search for a cache on the first road in Minnesota ...where it crosses Nine Mile Creek (a historic point in itself) but the cache is just a nano on a guard rail named for no reason "Led Zeppelin" Well it is a waste of time and thought.

If you haven't traded swag lately, than you haven't cached with kids or grand kids... If you haven't dropped any geocoins or travel bugs lately well you are missing out on half the fun.

Yes , the topic stated was a overstatement...to make a point ... lots of micros suck. I debated should I message the cache hider, make a snide comment in the log... well I decided to throw it open to the forum.

If you have suggestions for specific limits on caches based on size, then feel free to post them on the feedback.geocaching.com site. They'll probably be declined, but that's the appropriate place for specific suggestions.

If you just want to rant, then this is the place. I'll point out that many of my favorite caches have been micro sized caches. Some have even been nano sized caches. At least one is a micro in the woods, and no, a larger container would not have worked at that location. De gustibus non est disputandum.

If you want to improve your geocaching experience, then use the tools available to you to limit your searches to the types of caches you enjoy. For more information about pocket queries, see:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

You can also hide the types of caches you enjoy, and encourage others to hide those types of caches. But trying to prevent others from hiding the types of caches they enjoy is probably futile.

"Skirt lifting...not as fun as it sounds."

"Sometimes size does matter. Boycott nanos."

I really did think the same thing about micros. On a recent trip though I missed some good walking in the park micros because I.excluded micros in my PQ. I regretted it and realized sterortyping all micros isn't beneficial.

Again, my WalMart hide may not be an ammo can in the woods, but it is not in a guard rail or Lamp post either.
...and is the perfect example of why they won't be banned or regulated, if it as clever as you seem to claim.

Wait... you never said it was clever at all, just that it wasn't a GRC or LPC. In the shrubbery, then! :ph34r: Guess I can support a ban on micros, then. Say 'bye to your hides....

Edited by Too Tall John

I really did think the same thing about micros. On a recent trip though I missed some good walking in the park micros because I.excluded micros in my PQ. I regretted it and realized sterortyping all micros isn't beneficial.

I suspect that you missed more chaff that way than grist.

:lol: Good catch!

You don't have to apologize for liking a certain flavor of ice cream and neither does the OP. :mmraspberry:

Different cachers enjoy different caches for many different reasons. Where a cacher finds too few of the caches they enjoy, they need to learn techniques to avoid the caches they don't like and find more of the ones they do like. Sometimes by hiding more of the type they like they encourage other cachers with similar tastes to do the same. Demanding that others conform to their view of what geocaching should be just isn't nice.

Possibly you are correct. However, just two days ago I had a great climb up a tree in a beautiful park to grab a nano seated in a micro container. I was glad I decided to rethink my boycott of micros.

I'm not sure an ammo can would remain tethered 15 feet up a tree for long! Frankly, I felt guilty for favoring a micro/nano cache! But the experience and scenery were so good!

PS: Picture not posted with cache log to avoid spoiler.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

You are right it is not about the size of the cache. It is about the thought and creativity put into placing the cache.

When you search for a cache on the first road in Minnesota ...where it crosses Nine Mile Creek (a historic point in itself) but the cache is just a nano on a guard rail named for no reason "Led Zeppelin" Well it is a waste of time and thought.

If you haven't traded swag lately, than you haven't cached with kids or grand kids... If you haven't dropped any geocoins or travel bugs lately well you are missing out on half the fun.

Yes , the topic stated was a overstatement...to make a point ... lots of micros suck. I debated should I message the cache hider, make a snide comment in the log... well I decided to throw it open to the forum.

Hey, Sandtracker! I thought the name sounded familiar! I'm a friend of ToH and ran into you once in Burnsville, I think it was.

No, I haven't cached with kids or grandkids, although I do believe that the adults are at least partially responsible for setting the expectations. Instead of pumping them up about what you might find in the cache, try pumping them up about how clever they are for finding such a tiny cache. Might work for the younger ones, anyway.

I will admit to getting frustrated recently with the quality of many of the newer caches in our area, but at the same time, there are some new cachers hiding quality caches, if you look for them.

As for trackables, feel free to check my profile for my travel bug and geocoin activity.

Possibly you are correct. However, just two days ago I had a great climb up a tree in a beautiful park to grab a nano seated in a micro container. I was glad I decided to rethink my boycott of micros.

I'm not sure an ammo can would remain tethered 15 feet up a tree for long! Frankly, I felt guilty for favoring a micro/nano cache! But the experience and scenery were so good!

Which is why I am excited about favorite points being searchable. It will be great when you go to a new area to be able to find out what the locals think is the cream of the crop. I suspect it will improve the grist/chaff ratio. B)

Which is why I am excited about favorite points being searchable. It will be great when you go to a new area to be able to find out what the locals think is the cream of the crop. I suspect it will improve the grist/chaff ratio. B)

She climbed the tree barefoot? :lol: Yeah, favorite points work pretty well, can't complain there. I've seen a few abnormalities, like a boyfriend/girlfriend situation favoriting each other's parking lot micros, or people favorting caches just because they were FTF, but in general, works great.

Wow! What a great find!! But what is that little thing she's holding in her hand? :lol:

LOL! Yes, I climbed it barefoot. Look at my toes, they're like hands. No jokes, I'm very sensitive. :)

You can't actually see the cache holder. The nano I'm holding has a bit of velcro on it. Further up the tree (I had to stand and stretch) there is a hand carved branch with a cove and velcro for the nano to attach to.

Why is there repeatedly threads exactly like this one?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Why is there repeatedly threads exactly like this one?

A ) It's on the schedule.

B ) Folks seem to think you can hide an ammo can under a park bench.

C) Folks think that the only place to hide a micro is under a skirt or on a guardrail.

D) They have not found challenging micros like a nano in the forest that is not on the gate.

E) Folks think your really have to have a large collection of broken McToys, old lotto tickets, golf balls, small cans of Playdoh or leaking bubble solution to have found a neat cache.

Edited by jholly
Yeah, favorite points work pretty well, can't complain there. I've seen a few abnormalities, like a boyfriend/girlfriend situation favoriting each other's parking lot micros, or people favorting caches just because they were FTF, but in general, works great.
If that's what makes a cache someone's favorite, then that's fine with me. I don't expect others vote for favorites for the same reasons I do. After all, some of my favorites are caches that others consider abominations.

The feature I'd really like to see is for the system to correlate my favorites with the favorites of others, to show me caches enjoyed by people with similar preferences to my own.

LOL! Yes, I climbed it barefoot. Look at my toes, they're like hands. No jokes, I'm very sensitive. :)
Jokes? They look very normal to me. (I just haven't posted photos of mine...)

The feature I'd really like to see is for the system to correlate my favorites with the favorites of others, to show me caches enjoyed by people with similar preferences to my own.

H yes. Now THAT would be great. At one time it seemed like that was gonna be the way it was gonna go. But that lasted for about 10 minutes. I don't think we are gonna see it happen any time soon.

hes gonna archive all the micros! :anitongue:

H yes. Now THAT would be great. At one time it seemed like that was gonna be the way it was gonna go. But that lasted for about 10 minutes. I don't think we are gonna see it happen any time soon.

This is an awesome idea! You're right. There are plenty or caches here highly favored that aren't my thing. They were great caches, but many people enjoy evil caches and I don't so much.

I hope this goes through.

The box size may not be the issue but what makes a bad cache is the lack of subtlety in the way it is hidden, leading to for ex., the combing of hundreds of square if not cubic meters of leaves, bark, soil and other debris !

Personally I am no mole and if my brain is of no use, I pass the cache. It is why I don't log a lot !

Edited by Suscrofa