Poor cache placement

I'm not sure if I'm being too tough in my log. Opinions on log and cache?

The CO joined 2 weeks ago, and has 10 finds. That's cool with me, we all start somewhere. I'm glad if there's a new cachers in town! This is their first cache, and there's quite a few thing wrong with it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f1ad8532-a580-42a0-8742-e4fc2c82afe9

Gated community .

No permission granted most likely but I don't know for certain.

Cache is in a plastic candy jar in a ziplock, but is on the ground.

Cache is next to a big automatic gate.

The FTF prize was a packet of soy sauce and that's entirely too salty for me. Lol.

Thoughts? I'm going to also email the CO.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
I'm not sure if I'm being too tough in my log. Opinions on log and cache?

From your intro I was prepared for much worse. Your log was pretty nice considering the issues in play.

This cache sounds like an earnest attempt but a product of a new geocacher who doesn't fully grok the reasons behind many of the guidelines. Emailing the CO and offering to help out is a good tactic - saying that you're familiar with the area and could help scout a better place nearby that isn't within the gated private property. A good opportunity to drop mention of the food-in-a-container-is-a-bad-idea thing too.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the CO is a teen who lives inside the gates, and never gives thought to why they are there as they always magically open for him/her.

Your log was fair and kind.

Possible. Never thought of that but it would make the most sense. I tried to be easy going in my log, but the gate keeper was really annoyed!

Another thing I didn't mention was that the cache was near another gate. There was no parking anywhere near so we pulled over onto the grass. It was too well manicured for that! We must have looked highly suspicious poking around this other locked gate! I didn't even think of that til now.

Thoughts?

FTF prize is soy sauce?! That would be appropriate for a Chinese takeout box, but for a sandwich bag, why not a spoonful of mayo. :ph34r:

Your log is the epitome of constructive criticism. Very nice, and I'd expect the sandwich bag to turn up again somewhere. I'd have been much more blunt with that cache hider who has zero respect for others.

Edited by kunarion

The reviewer actually did disable it briefly. However, they emailed me explaining you can take another road, up to the gated community to get to the cache.

This is what I emailed the reviewer, who is awesome. I hope she doesn't take it as disrespect.

I see on Google Maps where this is true. However, I can't see how anyone will be able to find this back road to the gate if they follow their GPS as I did.

Secondly, the actual cache IS for a fact on the gated golf course property. I can't imagine security will overlook people searching around a locked gate.

I think the reviewer is making a poor call by enabling this cache again. It is poor placement and will damage geocaching reputation when community house owners complain, as they inevitably will.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I am a bit put off when, as a seeker, I am put in a position to have to explain to a person of authority that what I am doing is not illegal or devious.

I don't mind caches that require stealth because of muggled. But I don't like to trespass or be in places that I shouldn't be.

The entire course and community is gated. There are guards at the two gates. The other gated are not watched but are locked. There is security in golf carts driving around.

I know they won't allow the cache to continue. These people pay good money to feel secure. Having a bunch of people poking around the locked gate will raise flags.

The cache is on the ground, under a light, next to the gate.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

The only reason we got in is my husband has played golf there. He said we were going to the pro shop. Usually security knows ahead of time for tee times. The gate keeper did take my drivers license.

However, even if you can drive to the side of the gated community, the cache is next to a locked gate.

I'd tip off the guard to the cache, that way when others come to hunt the cache, he'll know what is up. Then if he or TPTB of the gated community have a problem with it, they can dispose of the cache.

Be sure to give the guard the information about how to contact the CO via email. Then if there are issues around permission, they can get that cleared up right away.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Not sure I'll be back there. As far as I'm concerned, I emailed the reviewer with my concern and it is now out of my hands. It's enable, so ill be watching the logs. I emailed a local cacher about this cache, and he will go get it I'm sure.

I just know that if I lived in a gated community I would not want suspicious activity invited there. Also, I hope it doesn't reflect poorly on geocaching there.

Not sure I'll be back there. As far as I'm concerned, I emailed the reviewer with my concern and it is now out of my hands.

You've done your bit.

If the CO wants to 'not tell the truth' to a reviewer, there's not much more you can do.

Other than a reviewer going out to find it, or the next group of finders all saying it Needs Archived...

You can see the gate on Google's street view so there must be a way in for the regular folks. You did what you thought was right, your done. If security gets upset over the cache then eventually the CO and/or the reviewer will have to deal with the situation. I do agree with you that the cache placement really sucks.

Edit: Looking at the maps more looks like Jacobs St to McPherson Dr. is the way to enter. No gates there. Looks like the gate is more to keep the neighborhood from becoming a short cut to other areas. Basically it is to restrict the traffic through the neighborhood. The gate might have been required by the fire department for quicker access to the area. But the placement is not he best because Jill will certainly route you to the gate.

Edited by jholly

O

Not sure I'll be back there. As far as I'm concerned, I emailed the reviewer with my concern and it is now out of my hands.

You've done your bit.

If the CO wants to 'not tell the truth' to a reviewer, there's not much more you can do.

Other than a reviewer going out to find it, or the next group of finders all saying it Needs Archived...

Thanks for the confirm. This is what I'm thinking too.

You can see the gate on Google's street view so there must be a way in for the regular folks. You did what you thought was right, your done. If security gets upset over the cache then eventually the CO and/or the reviewer will have to deal with the situation. I do agree with you that the cache placement really sucks.

There is no way in. That gate you see is locked. You can drive up to that gate but it is golf course property, with houses inside.

Google Maps seems to show the cache away from the gate. It's not, it is next to it. That gate doesn't have a keeper though.

The one I went through, at the front of the community, does. Either way, I did what I think is correct.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I wonder if you made it clear to the reviewer that the cache is INSIDE the locked gate of the gated community.

It doesn't get much more private property than that, unless you put it in someone's living room.

Also, I had some confusion over the entrances.

In one post you said there was an alternate route in that could not be easily found by your GPS, and in another post you said the alternate route was a locked gate.

Either way, it really doesn't matter because it's inside the locked facility.

But if all gates in are locked, it's a slam-dunk archival.

In any respect this should be gone though.

It's against the guidelines and very important guidelines at that.

I can't imagine why the reviewer would not archive it.

The entrance I came in was The main one, at the front. I used turn by turn directions to get me there. That gate was attended by a guard.

However, the reviewer told me that after looking at Google Maps you can take another, smaller road, to the side of the community. Now, that road leads to another gate, at the side of the community. This is the gate where the cache is. That gate is also locked but no guard. Cars that live there have a code to get in that way.

That's where the cache is. It is next to that gate, under a light. So you can drive up that way but you'd still be poking around the gate, outside the private community. The cache itself is inside the gate but in arms reach from outside.

Golf cart security drives around. This is a retirement area of Florida and gated and over 55 communities are very "close knit" or nosey.lol. This specific community is on a very nice golf course and expensive.

The review is cool, and thanked me for mailing her. She will be watching the logs. At the very least, the CO needs to write in the cache page not to follow the GPS and tell seekers which back roads to use to get there.

Ultimately, it will be gone because the home owners will not allow people searching around a locked gate. That's almost certain. It's just a matter of time.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

The entrance I came in was The main one, at the front. I used turn by turn directions to get me there. That gate was attended by a guard.

However, the reviewer told me that after looking at Google Maps you can take another, smaller road, to the side of the community. Now, that road leads to another gate, at the side of the community. This is the gate where the cache is. That gate is also locked but no guard. Cars that live there have a code to get in that way.

That's where the cache is. It is next to that gate, under a light. So you can drive up that way but you'd still be poking around the gate, outside the private community. The cache itself is inside the gate but in arms reach from outside.

Golf cart security drives around. This is a retirement area of Florida and gated and over 55 communities are very "close knit" or nosey.lol. This specific community is on a very nice golf course and expensive.

The review is cool, and thanked me for mailing her. She will be watching the logs. At the very least, the CO needs to write in the cache page not to follow the GPS and tell seekers which back roads to use to get there.

Ultimately, it will be gone because the home owners will not allow people searching around a locked gate. That's almost certain. It's just a matter of time.

I would be frustrated too. Sometimes, we on the ground can see issues that the reviewers can't see from their position, this is one of those cases.

As you said, it will be gone. A few more cachers will complain about issues, and perhaps the cache will be muggled by concerned community members. These things sort themselves out.

Your log will prove helpful for future seekers, so your experience was not in vain, even though I'd be wishing more was done as well.

The houses must have been built after the google maps aerial images were taken. And the street view images, too.

If the reviewer is looking at google maps, I can see why he would think a cache is ok there. It's across the street from the golf course, in what appears to be undeveloped land.

But now that we (and the reviewer) knot that the land has been developed, it seems clear that the cache shouldn't be there.

Na, where the cache is you can see the golf course. The house are along the course. Cars were coming in the gate that the cache is looted at. I wouldn't be surprised if I got reported for rummaging around!

Like said Google Maps is showing the cache away from the gate. That's not accurate. It's inside the gate, on community property.

Will be interesting to see what happens! I betting a security cart will notice people there and go investigate. Then a bunch of DNFs to follow. Just a guess.

But it's definitely within the golf course community. And it is all private. I'm surprised I got in.

There is no way in. That gate you see is locked. You can drive up to that gate but it is golf course property, with houses inside.

Google Maps seems to show the cache away from the gate. It's not, it is next to it. That gate doesn't have a keeper though.

The one I went through, at the front of the community, does. Either way, I did what I think is correct.

What side of the gate is the cache on? From Google, the west side looks to be part of the secured golf course community. The east side looks to be an unimproved housing tract. Google shows it on the east side but that doesn't mean that it actually is. Google makes it look like it is in the same tract as GC27CCB, which you found last October. If that is not true and it is on the west side of the gate, then you will have to go past a guard shack or automatic gate to get to it. If that is the case, it is certainly on private property and since the guard knows nothing about it, it almost certainly does not have permission. One should not have to lie to gain access to a cache.

It is right next to the gate, touching it. On the ground. Under the light that is attached to the gate.

You can reach inside the gate to get the cache. I happened to go to the front gate because that's what my GPS said! I assumed the gate keeper knee and the CO had permission.

Like I said, security or residents will probably become aware of it at some point.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay