Geocaching on Slashdot

Dekaner

Slashdot has the following article on their site today. (This would explain any site slowdowns due to the "Slashdot Effect" of everyone and their mother clicking on the link to Geocaching on the Slashdot site.)

"Some cities and counties are banning or considering banning geocaching in their parks. "It's good, clean, wholesome fun - just do it someplace else," said Brian Adams, chief of resource protection for the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, which has banned geocaching. The geocaching.com website claims there are over 600 caches within 100 miles of the twincities."

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/04/127224&mode=thread&tid=126

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

The ultimate in flame-ish don't know what they are talking about:

"While the dweebish geocachers might think it's all good clean fun, a way to show off their disposable income with a high tech gewgaw and exchange some swag for other swag, terrorists are finding web pages full of GPS coordinates in the midst of populated cities."

OMOGOD!!! OMIGOD!!! Watch out for screaming newspaper headline!!

"GEOCACHER-INSPIRED TERRORISTS BLOW UP ROTTED STUMP. "Travel Bugs Of Mass Destruction" rumored."

If some evil goofball need a terror-target, they can do better with Mapquest or Mapblast than with geocaching.com. Either that or the local equivalent of portlandmaps.com. Coords are found EVERYWHERE. Sheesh.

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on June 04, 2003 at 10:08 AM.]

quote from slashdot:

Here's the e-mail for the folks at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway who have banned cacheing though they admit its "good clean wholesome fun." Jeesh. SACN_Interpretation@nps.gov [mailto]

Sooooo... how many "trash clean out" cache event URLs can we send these folks?

Maybe just start with this one and go from there. icon_smile.gif

Another park opened up for people to do the horizontal bop in the bushes while good clean wholesome fun happens elsewhere.

Police in Boise like geocaching because they feel it's a deturrent to crime. Geocachers running around in the bushes where criminals would normally run around. At least thats how I intrepreted the discussion on it.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I had a web site that got posted on slashdot and I could not handle all the bandwidth. I was hosting it on a T1 and my daily logs were usually around 1 meg or so. When the site was posted on slashdot my daily logs were around 25megs for a few days until it died down again.

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner of Team KKF2A:

Slashdot has the following article on their site today. _(This would explain any site slowdowns due to the "Slashdot Effect" of everyone and their mother clicking on the link to Geocaching on the Slashdot site.)_

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk:

The ultimate in flame-ish http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/04/127224&mode=thread&tid=126

"While the dweebish geocachers might think it's all good clean fun, a way to show off their disposable income with a high tech gewgaw and exchange some swag for other swag, terrorists are finding web pages full of GPS coordinates in the midst of populated cities."

OMOGOD!!! OMIGOD!!! Watch out for screaming newspaper headline!!

"GEOCACHER-INSPIRED TERRORISTS BLOW UP ROTTED STUMP. "Travel Bugs Of Mass Destruction" rumored."

If some evil goofball need a terror-target, they can do better with Mapquest or Mapblast than with geocaching.com. Either that or the local equivalent of portlandmaps.com. Coords are found EVERYWHERE. Sheesh.

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on June 04, 2003 at 10:08 AM.]

Yes, but think about the children...

If the terrorist line doesn't work, try the one about how this will harm our children. Works for politicians all the time . . .

SIGH. But way, slashdot is how I learned about this site. Dang, now I am part of the conspiracy?

quote:
Originally posted by agentjack:

When the site was posted on slashdot my daily logs were around 25megs for a few days until it died down again.

The day we were slashdotted we were at 850 megs in logs. Usually we're at 250 megs a day. It's amazing that the site stays up at all, considering the way the site is put together with duct tape and plastic wrap.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

It's amazing that the site stays up at all, considering the way the site is put together with duct tape and plastic wrap.

Hey, that duct tape is awesome stuff! And the plastic wrap lets you see inside. Or outside as the case may be.

On another note, that whole "terrorists finding coordinates" thing was hysterical. Like they need geocaching.com to find coordinates! But, hey, they might need to know where that faux birdhouse with the geocache hidden inside is. Prime target, if you ask me. icon_biggrin.gif

To finish is to win. www.aerc.org