Series Naming

mockkkk

I am in the process of building a series of caches in my town. I love cache series! I'm also a baseball fan, so I have been naming the caches after baseball teams, with an eventual 30 caches in total (one for each team in the MLB). Here's an example. However, I have gotten some comments that my names are not original enough because they don't really have anything to do with the caches or locations themselves.

While the areas I've chosen so far are all very significant to me and are places I'd like to share with others (I can't stand caches placed in completely random areas), I am wondering now if I should change the names of the caches I've placed thus far to be more memorable. What are some community members thoughts on changing the names of caches? If I did it I'd put a note on each listing about what it used to be named and my reasoning for changing the names.

Just looking for some constructive input! Thanks in advance!

I don't understand all the people who think that the cache name MUST reference the location or hide style. The name is completely up to you. However, the suggestion above will add a little more flavor than just the team name.

My biggest pet peeve with series is having the series name appear in the title first. For example if you had called that cache Road to the World Series: NL East Mets. This makes it hard to tell the difference between caches on your GPS because the only distinction is the last word. So I am glad you did not do something like that.

Don't change the name particularly for a series. some cacher will look at his finds and see which ones he has and look for others. The next time he runs his finds query some of that series he knew he had are gone and will cause a problem

As to the name being to long just get GSAK and that problem goes away.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I don't understand all the people who think that the cache name MUST reference the location or hide style. The name is completely up to you. However, the suggestion above will add a little more flavor than just the team name.

My biggest pet peeve with series is having the series name appear in the title first. For example if you had called that cache Road to the World Series: NL East Mets. This makes it hard to tell the difference between caches on your GPS because the only distinction is the last word. So I am glad you did not do something like that.

I agree. We have a series here that I did called "Pacific Marine Circle Route Series Number 1(2, 3 etc)"

They all look the same on my GPS, I wish the number was first, especially because the shape of the circle route means that the nearest cache as the crow flies isn't necessarily the next one you will approach on the road.

I am in the process of building a series of caches in my town. I love cache series! I'm also a baseball fan, so I have been naming the caches after baseball teams, with an eventual 30 caches in total (one for each team in the MLB). Here's an example. However, I have gotten some comments that my names are not original enough because they don't really have anything to do with the caches or locations themselves.

While the areas I've chosen so far are all very significant to me and are places I'd like to share with others (I can't stand caches placed in completely random areas), I am wondering now if I should change the names of the caches I've placed thus far to be more memorable. What are some community members thoughts on changing the names of caches? If I did it I'd put a note on each listing about what it used to be named and my reasoning for changing the names.

Just looking for some constructive input! Thanks in advance!

There will always be someone to complain about something.

Don't change the name of the series unless YOU want to do that. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into the cache placements and the names mean something to you, so just ignore the grumpy grumblers.

Okay, BLUE JAYS, let's play ball!!!! Whoooo

as soon before get gsAk to solve this problem

I don't believe one should have to use GSAK to solve "problems"

Not everyone uses it, I wish more CO's would think about that.

I'd wager that 90% of GSAK users don't even know what to do to solve the problem. I use GSAK for just about every thing, but have still been bitten. I uploaded a PQ to my GPS for the town of Santa Paula CA. If I had looked closely, I would have noticed at least fifty caches that began with the name "Santa Paula". This made the smart names on the GPS a total nightmare. Trying to match them back to the PDA to get descriptions was almost impossible.

Several of my early series were named in the same fashion. The first time I loaded them to do maintenance, I became fully aware of the problem.

That said, I would never change cache names after they are published and people have logged them. This causes way too much confusion.

I too have run into this problem and made a point of putting the number first on my 20 cache series.

Don't change the name particularly for a series. some cacher will look at his finds and see which ones he has and look for others. The next time he runs his finds query some of that series he knew he had are gone and will cause a problem

As to the name being to long just get GSAK and that problem goes away.

as soon before get gsAk to solve this problem

I don't believe one should have to use GSAK to solve "problems"

Not everyone uses it, I wish more CO's would think about that.

I'd wager that 90% of GSAK users don't even know what to do to solve the problem. I use GSAK for just about every thing, but have still been bitten. I uploaded a PQ to my GPS for the town of Santa Paula CA. If I had looked closely, I would have noticed at least fifty caches that began with the name "Santa Paula". This made the smart names on the GPS a total nightmare. Trying to match them back to the PDA to get descriptions was almost impossible.

Several of my early series were named in the same fashion. The first time I loaded them to do maintenance, I became fully aware of the problem.

That said, I would never change cache names after they are published and people have logged them. This causes way too much confusion.

I guess 'Smart Names' aren't so smart! :lol:

That's why I use the GC code, which is unique to each cache.

Change the name all you want, I know which ones I found and which I didn't (yet).

To the OP:

I wouldn't change the names to suit anyone but myself.

That being said, I have never felt like changing any.