Being a Geocacher before you even knew it.

When I was younger I lived in Arizona, I spent a lot of time camping, hiking, climbing and 4x4ing out in the desert. I since have put all of these to use geocaching. It seems like I was geocaching before I even knew it. What are some things you use geocaching that you used before you got into the sport/game/addiction?

I like this post, because it made me realize something--I had an immense love for scavenger hunts while I was growing up. Easter morning was a thrill (looking for those eggs). Birthday parties with scavenger hunt themes were excellent.

I especially recall putting on *scavenger hunts* for my younger brother around the house. I would hide toys, and then he could find them. Then we'd switch.

Weird. :)

I like this post, because it made me realize something--I had an immense love for scavenger hunts while I was growing up. Easter morning was a thrill (looking for those eggs). Birthday parties with scavenger hunt themes were excellent.

I especially recall putting on *scavenger hunts* for my younger brother around the house. I would hide toys, and then he could find them. Then we'd switch.

Weird. :)

My mom's best friend would do this for us! I loved it.

I also grew up loving scavenger hunts!

My dad would take me hiking, 4x4ing, fishing, canoeing, rock climbing and all that jazz when I was growing up. Dad was my biggest source of knowledge on the skills I now use to cache including using a GPS, and waterproof containers even though we didn't know about caching then.

I was also a girl guide (canadian version of girl scout) and a pilot rider for blind cyclists when i was a teen, both those taught me things I use today in my caching adventures.

I also grew up loving scavenger hunts!

My dad would take me hiking, 4x4ing, fishing, canoeing, rock climbing and all that jazz when I was growing up. Dad was my biggest source of knowledge on the skills I now use to cache including using a GPS, and waterproof containers even though we didn't know about caching then.

I was also a girl guide (canadian version of girl scout) and a pilot rider for blind cyclists when i was a teen, both those taught me things I use today in my caching adventures.

That's awesome. My dad took us rock climbing as kids. We camped outside in tents on the ground. He took us hunting, fishing, and to rodeos all the time. I love my father for doing these things.

I've always done and enjoyed hiking. And especially enjoyed using the map, to plan out and follow a route of trails/paths. So this fits nicely with Geocaching. While I like finding the cache, I'm less excited about the actual hunt for the box than I am the journey to get there. I like the challenge of navigating myself to GZ; once at GZ I tend to want to find the cache as soon as possible and move on.

For me it was ghost towning and finding abandonded places.

I spent a lot of time just cruising backroads looking for hidden gems of places, or picking locations on the maps that might have something and then navigating out to that location. When the internet came along we started sharing information and general locations with other enthusiasts.

A lifetime ago....

I used caches for future treks that I surmised that (I, we, or others) might be required to make. The stores consisted mostly of food other stores that we won't talk about, but it most likely kept me around to be here on these forums. This, by the way, was looooong before geocaching and/or GPS satellites.

Caching itself has existed since before recorded history. It isn't anything new.

It's just too bad that I was too 'busy' to learn about geocaching (as we know it) during its' early years. :unsure:

What are some things you use geocaching that you used before you got into the sport/game/addiction?

Orienteering

When I was a girl guide I HATED Orienteering! We used a map and compass, as I don't know any troupe that could have afforded gprs in the late 80's/ early 90's

I'm glad I stuck it out though, as I use those skills on many multi's and mystery caches especially. It also makes me appreciate my garmin.

When I was in the military, I was in Armor (tanks). A lot of land nav. Try reading a map (before gps), at night, in the rain/snow, wind whipping around you (open your sun roof and stand in your car as it is moving to get the feel) and going about 20-30 mph and you have a blue/red lense flashlight to read the map with. You also have to hang on or get bounced around a lot. As you hit check points (way points) you must call them up the chain of command. You also have to tell the driver which turns to take. After that, it seemed kind of tame to geocache.

Also, looking for things that don't belong was always fun. Seems like a natural progression from one hobby (blowing stuff up) and this sport. :rolleyes: