Not finding Caches so Wondering if GPS is Right

calligal

Went out today with hubby looking for two caches that should have been easy, I knew the locations just not where the cache was but found nothing. I think I may be misunderstanding the GPS, Magellen Explorist, So, if the GPS says we are 6 ft. at heading SW or whatever, does that mean we walk 6 ft. SW, how do I know where to look?

Stupid questions I guess, but today, I got withing 3 ft. at one point (according to the GPS) but never found anything, can the GPS be off by a few feet ?

The GPS can be off by much more than just a few feet, and so can the hider's coordinates. As a general rule of thumb, try to get as close to the coordinates as you can (according to the GPS) and then search within a 20 feet radius or so. Keep checking your GPS too, as its idea of where GZ (ground zero) is will change over time, and sometimes it will be closer to the actual location than other times.

Edited by dfx

First and foremost -- the GPSr will not take you to the cache, it will only take you (close) to the coordinates posted.

1) You still must look for the cache, sometimes very long and hard;

2) Your GPSr will have an error factor (varying) as does that of the cache hider -- do you see where this is going?

3) Don't look for the cache! Look for it's hiding spot. Check EVERYTHING that doesn't look quite right (that item itself may be the cache).

4) Expect to be thwarted. You simply cannot win them all. With practice you will get better. Experience is the best teacher.

5) I see you have one micro found -- work at finding larger than micros first. After getting the "hang of it", then open up to micros, also. Micros can be "evil".

Edit to add: When you are wandering around within that 20 ft circle (Ground Zero), forget about the GPSr, as it is going to start making you go every which direction, then it will "jump" back to where you just were. If you are spending time looking at the GPSr while at Ground Zero, remember clues #1 and #2. If you are looking at the GPSr, you are not looking for the cache!!!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.