Geocaching + (Phooning, Planking, and Owling) LINKS ONLY!

EraSeek

Alternative silliness!

This slot is reserved for posting Geocaching + Phooning, Planking, and Owling(because planking is so two-months old!) GC site photo links.

Post your, (not photos- save on bandwidth), but geocaching links to your geocaching site photos of these activities while you were geocaching. Don't know what it is? You are sooo behind the times!

(I'm sure she won't mind) here is an example of how to post: My link

Alternative silliness!

This slot is reserved for posting Geocaching + Phooning, Planking, and Owling(because planking is so two-months old!) GC site photo links.

Post your, (not photos- save on bandwidth), but geocaching links to your geocaching site photos of these activities while you were geocaching. Don't know what it is? You are sooo behind the times!

(I'm sure she won't mind) here is an example of how to post: My link

kind of a sorry looking phoon :P:laughing:

phooning in Toronto

Barrels of Phoon

phooning at the Hoodoos in Banff

After googling, I now know what they are. I have learned a lot of useless things from the internet and geocaching. Since I am now 86 very doubtful I will try any of those. Just looked at the listing and I guess he didn't want comments - Just LINKS ONLY

so sorry about that. dick

Edited by W7WT

Sorry, No, I don't mind comments... I just don't want direct photos because loading them really drags down most peoples internet.

OK, a couple of things. I know people got fun stuff out there but if no one shares I'll move this to the general forums where all the less cultured people live. Also in the next week or so I intend on introducing a geocaching varient to planking, called "North Planking" or "Needleing", maybe I'll go viral! Educationally, these practices are memes; you can regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures, so they may be short-live in one form but long-lived overall.

An example: here is my early attempt from 2006 while geocaching at developing "planking". My link It was an early form in Beta, which I now refer to as "The Bent Plank"

Of course it's "true" north-planking, but you want to deviate a bit that's fine too. Interestingly, the best possible spot to North-plank is at the true south pole. You can't screw up there. Anyway you turn to north-plank, you "north"-plank. The worst spot to north-plank is at the north-pole! It just can't be done.

Of course it's "true" north-planking, but you want to deviate a bit that's fine too. Interestingly, the best possible spot to North-plank is at the true south pole. You can't screw up there. Anyway you turn to north-plank, you "north"-plank. The worst spot to north-plank is at the north-pole! It just can't be done.

Even standing (planking??) on your head?

BTW, shouldn't the pole/needle be red?

If you look closely the shaft is red, I just have the black tip extended. Never-the-less, the important thing to north-planking is that you are pointed north.

If the chances of pointing (parallel to the ground) north at the south pole is 100%, and 0% at the north pole, what are the chances of pointing north on a random plank at the equator? <_< 1 in.. :blink:

If the chances of pointing (parallel to the ground) north at the south pole is 100%, and 0% at the north pole, what are the chances of pointing north on a random plank at the equator? <_< 1 in.. :blink:

The same as everywhere else on Earth (excepting the Poles) = 0.278% or 1 in 360 (full degrees). This assuming great circle travel, constant angle travel would be more like 49.722% as any degree of north angle will spiral to the North Pole.

The same as everywhere else on Earth (excepting the Poles) = 0.278% or 1 in 360 (full degrees). This assuming great circle travel, constant angle travel would be more like 49.722% as any degree of north angle will spiral to the North Pole.

That also assumes you can measure the "heading" to the nearest degree.

:P

Actually the way I see it is that the odds can be infinite, unless you define a degree of accuracy (or non-accuracy) allowed. No reason to assume that 360 degrees is defined well enough.

Never-the-less, back to the topic. Today I failed. I climbed up Mt Pillchuck and did not come home with a phoon, a plank, a north-plank, or an owling. I did phoon once but Jon was not quick enough with his camera and I didn't have enough energy to do a re-do. :(