Garmin Oregon 300 GPX exceeded

It was saying that my GPX files were exceeded. I had only 200 caches in the GPS. I deleted 69 files from the past. I would like to select which ones to remove than just selecting a bunch of old files. Is there a way to delete them from the GPS so I can see the titles of the caches? Also is there a way to change the storage from the GPS to the micro sd slot? Thanks

You're using the "send to GPS" feature, aren't you? There's a limit of 200 GPX files, and "send to GPS" will create one GPX per cache. But the thing is, you don't need to have only one cache per GPX file. If you use pocket queries, you can load up to 1000 caches with only one (or well, two) GPX files. Or you can also use 3rd party tools (ala GSAK) to achieve the same thing.

Moving the GPX files to uSD card won't make a difference.

Edited by dfx

It was saying that my GPX files were exceeded. I had only 200 caches in the GPS. I deleted 69 files from the past. I would like to select which ones to remove than just selecting a bunch of old files. Is there a way to delete them from the GPS so I can see the titles of the caches? Also is there a way to change the storage from the GPS to the micro sd slot? Thanks

I just didn't know the name of the card, once I found it, I transferred all the GPX files there. Now everything works!

Hi Walts Hunting,

Thanks for the quick reply..OK so I've been trying to search around and learn a bit more about this issue since I posted, but you posted more quickly than I was able to find more info outside the forum here so..

I've never used GSAK before. If I become a premium member, will I still need to use GSAK or can I simply download 10 Pocket Queries of 500 caches apiece?

I've also read on another forum, one Oregon owner had success in renaming many of his unused .GPX files to .GP, which the unit then ignored and he simply renamed them in groups. Another possible method I have yet to test might be to simply create a set of folders, maybe corresponding to geographic areas, dump the GPX files into them and maybe they won't be seen? Just curious as to what else might work..

Thank You

Become a premium member. Then you can use Pocket Queries to download up to 1000 at a time in a single GPX file. In addition to the 200 limit for GPX files there is a cache limit which I think is 5,000. Of course you can then get GSAK which allows you to directly download up to 6,000 a day.

You certainly don't need GSAK ... PQs can just be copied into the GPX folder once unzipped :)

Conversely, if you do become a premium member and want to use GSAK (Latest Version), you can simply mark an area on the map and download all geocaches in that area in one GPX file, and then send it to your Oregon. Very quick and simple. No need for PQ's any more!

You do not need GSAK as mentioned. However I haven't run a PQ since version 8 came out. The API interface has pretty much made them unnecessary except for rare circumstances. I do get into those circumstances when I travel without my laptop. I use my phone to run PQ's and load them to my Montana. Also load them onto the tablet to get a better look at an area.

Conversely, if you do become a premium member and want to use GSAK (Latest Version), you can simply mark an area on the map and download all geocaches in that area in one GPX file, and then send it to your Oregon. Very quick and simple. No need for PQ's any more!

News to me! I've been dumping PQ's into GSAK and then filtering & exporting to my Oregon. About once a month I use the Geocaching.com access in GSAK to update everything in my database.

How do I mark an area on a map and download all those caches? I'm looking at a whole county which has about 6000 unfound (by me) caches in it.

Thanks.