Rustproofing Altoid Tins

When properly applied rust-proof paint generally does not rust. Altoid tins are very worthy to hold mints. They are spectacularly unworthy to hold a log. However I have found that Altoid tins made from 316 stainless steel do not rust but are not water tight.

Every time this topic comes up, I'm wondering... what's the point in putting time, money and effort into trying to make a container that's not good to begin with better, when it's still not good when you're done with it?

Every time this topic comes up, I'm wondering... what's the point in putting time, money and effort into trying to make a container that's not good to begin with better, when it's still not good when you're done with it?

Because many people like me don't like larger caches, and Altoids tins allow for an alternative to Nano's, and Bison Tubes. The only Altoids Tin I found was hidden in a tree, and it was so soaked I didn't want to open it let alone sign it. Disgusting, maybe with rust proof paint that won't happen?

They need a rubber gasket to be waterproof. You would need to cut a piece of rubber the correct thickness, and place it inside of the lid, and that would only help.

The best way to waterproof them is to hide them in an ammo can.

The hinges would still leak. They are nothing more than slits cut into the metal, bent, and wire run through them.

Groundspeak should be listening to what Coldgear said. There is a need for a quality container of about the size of an Altoid tin.

Groundspeak should be listening to what Coldgear said. There is a need for a quality container of about the size of an Altoid tin.

You mean like those?

pic_1367_Beach%20Container%20With%20String.jpg

And what does Groundspeak have to do with that?

Those are bigger than an Altoids. In fact, they are big enough to fit an Altoids container in them.

Knowschad was suggesting that Groundspeak could sell such a container at ShopGroundspeak.

You mean like those?

Those are bigger than an Altoids. In fact, they are big enough to fit an Altoids container in them.

Knowschad was suggesting that Groundspeak could sell such a container at ShopGroundspeak.

There are a variety of containers that style, including ones that are about the same size as an Altiods Tin.

I tried waterproofing an AT once:

I just happen to have an Altoids tin sitting on my desk. Decided to take a look at it when I read this thread.

After putting the mints safely out of the way, I took a look at the hinge assembly. If the holes punched out to form the "body" side of the hinge (that is, not the lid) could be sealed from the inside without impeding the hinge you'd be halfway there. A bit of rubber gasket cut to fit the inside of the lid would seal the container when the lid is closed. If you really really really wanted a waterproof Altoids container you could do this and I suspect as long as you didn't screw up it'd be more waterproof than a Kodak film canister.

As I put the mints back into the can, guess what I see on the side of it? A big old patch of rust! ;) This is a tin that hasn't been outside since I brought it in from the store. I guess the last stage of my plan would be sealing the whole thing with Rustoleum or the like.

At least then it won't rust on my desk.

I changed my sig line last night, the second part is in honor of what I've been up to.

After writing my suggestion about how to waterproof an Altiods tin, I decided to give it a try.

I took a look at the hinge assembly. If the holes punched out to form the "body" side of the hinge (that is, not the lid) could be sealed from the inside without impeding the hinge you'd be halfway there. A bit of rubber gasket cut to fit the inside of the lid would seal the container when the lid is closed.
I've done everything except the Rustoleum so far. Sealed the holes by taping off the back of the tin & applying epoxy over the holes inside. The gasket is craft foam, which should work ok I think. It's a little thick, but once it's held together for a bit it should form to the tin nicely.

4bda14a6-a0ed-49f1-95f0-c9e4fdd945a9.jpg

I'm gonna go sink it for a bit. Anyone want to bet on how it does?

:laughing:

Well, I put "logbooks" in my "waterproof" Altoids tin and an "off-the-shelf" tin as well.

I sunk them in water, took them out for a peek after 10 mins. Below are the results:

The containers. Left is the "waterproof" one, right, the "off-the-shelf" one. As you can see, I used green marker to write on the logs. It came off...

9baf394c-aafe-4e48-8f5c-4aa17da0678f.jpg

The logs read "Logbook in the 'waterproof' Altoids tin. (Wintergreen Container)" on the top and "Logbook in the 'off-the-shelf' Altoids tin. (Ginger Container)" on the bottom.

bd1aa2b2-c52b-40fa-82d1-f603d0d14f4a.jpg

1b305ed6-b29e-4f03-963a-5694bf21dc01.jpg

It looks like my treatment helped, it might actually work if I had the proper gasket material, as that appears to be where the leak came from.

What can we take away from this? Altoid tins are tough to waterproof. Even if you can do it, there are simpler and more reliable ways to make a quality geocache container.

The question was raised of why you would try to waterproof an AT. The answer? Because you can. To those who agree with that answer, I refer you to my sig line:

People don't put time and effort for altiod tins. Just for $1.99 you have a box of mints and a cheap cache container.

I have been working on some signature items. My boss eats altoids lilke crazy and I can get free tins off him. I plan on putting the sig items in the tins and leaving them in cool caches and was JUST wondering if I could primer those babies in case someone decided they wanted to take it and make it a cache... but I don't think I'll encourage the practice.

That said, I've seen a few hidden nicely and the size, shape and the fact that they are metal can make for a nice hide. It would be cool if there was a decent container the same size and shape.

But there isnt.

People don't put time and effort for altiod tins. Just for $1.99 you have a box of mints and a cheap cache container.

For < $1 they could have a darn good container some free matches though... :laughing:

Edited by d+n.s

Trying to rustproof it = time and effort.

I think a lot depends on how much the altoids tin is exposed to the elements. Kind of like a film can in that regard--if it gets regular exposure, it'll stink as a container; if it's not very exposed, it can work fine for a year or two.

I have a big metal tin as a cache container (only container I could find that looked like a pirate's chest). It's protected from rain. The interior stays dry, but the lid starts sticking at about the one-year mark. I've replaced the container once and it's about due again. As long as a CO stays on top of maintenance (which, I admit, is the kicker), a metal tin works ok in a rain-protected spot. A waterproof container is better. I've had to use some hefty brute force to open a big metal tin cache that'd been out there for several years (I nearly resorted to jumping up and down on the thing to pop the lid off).

If you really want to make an Altoids container waterproof, I suggest you strip off the paint and deposit an even layer of solder all around the perimeter of the container. This has the added advantage of not only making the container waterproof, but will frustrate any finders to the point of never wanting to find another Altoids container again.

If you really want to make an Altoids container waterproof, I suggest you strip off the paint and deposit an even layer of solder all around the perimeter of the container. This has the added advantage of not only making the container waterproof, but will frustrate any finders to the point of never wanting to find another Altoids container again.

:D

That would work well. I suppose an empty rite in rain logsheet could be decoupaged to the outside with a nice clear coat, as well.

Ah, but the better end result is that they never hide another Altoids container again. Think they'll get the message? :laughing:

I'm not sure that's true... it may be an issue of the photo not having something to scale the containers against. I've deployed these in the field and they are only about exactly big enough to hold a couple of credit cards. They couldn't possibly fit an Altoids tin inside them.

If these are the kind offered by The Waterproof Store, they also do have a similar model that can fit a man's wallet - it's larger in all three dimensions. Those could fit an Altoids tin - but the containers in the photo dfx posted definitely wouldn't.

I've found a number of caches hidden in Altoids Tins as well as other mint containers. They ALL got nasty.

Just say NO to Altoids tins as cache containers. The very best way to make sure they don't leak is to simply not use them in the first place.

I'm not sure that's true... it may be an issue of the photo not having something to scale the containers against. I've deployed these in the field and they are only about exactly big enough to hold a couple of credit cards. They couldn't possibly fit an Altoids tin inside them.

If these are the kind offered by The Waterproof Store, they also do have a similar model that can fit a man's wallet - it's larger in all three dimensions. Those could fit an Altoids tin - but the containers in the photo dfx posted definitely wouldn't.

Hmm, the ones I've seen are bigger, as I remember. It's been a while since I've found any in the field, but I think the ones I can get at the local Fred Meyer store are bigger than an Altoids. And yes, it would be nice to have an Altoids in the picture for reference.

Hmm, the ones I've seen are bigger, as I remember. It's been a while since I've found any in the field, but I think the ones I can get at the local Fred Meyer store are bigger than an Altoids. And yes, it would be nice to have an Altoids in the picture for reference.

From that description, I believe the ones you've seen in the field are the wallet cases. They're comparable in size to a decon container, in terms of volume.

In the photo are the card cases. They're only 3.7" x 2.5" x .75" . They wouldn't fit any swag unless it was really, really thin.

I've had good luck keeping logs dry in those plastic sliding-lid magnetic key safes (Hillman) by attaching cut-out rectangles of inner tube over the opening. I suppose one could try something similar with a candy tin if they wanted. Personally I see no future in them except as candy tins.

I've owned exactly one Altoids tin cache. I painted it with Rustoleum before setting it out and it lasted quite a few years. When I archived it and retrieved the container it was quite rusty, but it never got wet inside. That's because it was totally sheltered from the elements.

Actually they're $1.68 here and i throw the mints away because i don't like them.

You mean like those?

Groundspeak does sell those, preprinted with the geocaching logo/label.

Keeping it clear.

Actually they don't... Groundspeak sells the wallet-sized containers. In the photo you quoted are the credit card-sized containers - a lot smaller, and no room for swag unless it's really thin.

Keeping it clear.

Actually they don't... Groundspeak sells the wallet-sized containers. In the photo you quoted are the credit card-sized containers - a lot smaller, and no room for swag unless it's really thin.

In any case, my reply to the "Groundspeak" part was meant to point out that Groundspeak doesn't come up with new containers. Yeah they sell them, they might even put their branding on them, but they don't invent them or manufacture them. So Groundspeak listening to that particular demand wouldn't make much of a difference.

Edited by dfx

I've owned exactly one Altoids tin cache. I painted it with Rustoleum before setting it out and it lasted quite a few years. When I archived it and retrieved the container it was quite rusty, but it never got wet inside. That's because it was totally sheltered from the elements.

You just said a mouthful. I have seen totally "inappropriate" containers work quite well, as long as they were hidden in an appropriate spot. I once found a cache hidden in one of these:

%21B-hytHw%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKkUEzJ0iNWzeBM87d02i3Q%7E%7E_35.JPG

The log (sans baggie) was perfectly dry. Of course, the cache was hidden inside of a picnic shelter...

You mean like those?

Keeping it clear.

I do not see those as equivilent to a better quality "Altoid tin". Altoid tins are used where they are because of the size and the flat sides. These containers could not be hidden successfully in many of the spots that an Altoid tin could. What I'd like to see would look like an Altoid tin, but would have a proper hinge and a gasket.

Actually they're $1.68 here and i throw the mints away because i don't like them.

Why? Were they cinnamon?

Why? Were they cinnamon?

I don't like cinnamon, but I also don't like wintergreen. What about you? :smile:

You just said a mouthful. I have seen totally "inappropriate" containers work quite well, as long as they were hidden in an appropriate spot. I once found a cache hidden in one of these:

%21B-hytHw%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKkUEzJ0iNWzeBM87d02i3Q%7E%7E_35.JPG

The log (sans baggie) was perfectly dry. Of course, the cache was hidden inside of a picnic shelter...

I found one of those buss fuse caches in the crack of a phone pole. that was tough to get out.

Why? Were they cinnamon?

I don't like cinnamon, but I also don't like wintergreen. What about you? :smile:

I don't like any of the flavors. they're too overpowering.

Yup. The whole "Silk Purse / Sow's Ear" analogy is a pretty good argument against them. A container that really sucks, (like an Altoids tin), probably isn't worth the time or effort required to make them waterproof. Encasing them in solid plastic might help, but then seekers would have a heck of a time getting the log out. B)

Without throwing this thread too far off topic, I wanted to point out that my experience with those types of containers has not been very satisfactory. Early on in my geocaching career, my eldest child grew excited at the notion of cache hiding, creating a cache using one of those. I think they were marketed as a "beach safe", or something like that. He bought it at a surf shop nearby. He gave me the coordinates, and a check revealed that the hide would not be approved due to its proximity to an existing cache. I went back a couple weeks later and recovered the container, finding the contents rather damp. Granted, the location, (under a pier), was very damp, but for me to put a container into my highly biased "Quality Cache Container" mental file, it should have the ability to survive 15 days, in the field, unopened, without leaking.

The other ones like those that I've found haven't been much drier inside.

Personally, I rate those as splashproof, not waterproof. B)

Edited by Clan Riffster
my eldest child grew excited at the notion of cache hiding, creating a cache using one of those. I think they were marketed as a "beach safe", or something like that. He bought it at a surf shop nearby. He gave me the coordinates, and a check revealed that the hide would not be approved due to its proximity to an existing cache. I went back a couple weeks later and recovered the container, finding the contents rather damp. Granted, the location, (under a pier), was very damp, but for me to put a container into my highly biased "Quality Cache Container" mental file, it should have the ability to survive 15 days, in the field, unopened, without leaking.

I can't vouch for what the local surf shop stocks, but I order mine from The Waterproof Store. They rate them as "3" on their scale, which is "Waterproof so tight it floats or can handle quick submersions. The product could be permeated by water in any of the following applications: prolonged submersion, submersions greater than 3 feet in depth, high water pressure applications." They seem to work fine... the only times I've noticed that the insides get any moisture inside is when cachers inadvertently trap the water *in*, and even then, I've only noticed after a few months.

my eldest child grew excited at the notion of cache hiding, creating a cache using one of those. I think they were marketed as a "beach safe", or something like that. He bought it at a surf shop nearby. He gave me the coordinates, and a check revealed that the hide would not be approved due to its proximity to an existing cache. I went back a couple weeks later and recovered the container, finding the contents rather damp. Granted, the location, (under a pier), was very damp, but for me to put a container into my highly biased "Quality Cache Container" mental file, it should have the ability to survive 15 days, in the field, unopened, without leaking.

I can't vouch for what the local surf shop stocks, but I order mine from The Waterproof Store. They rate them as "3" on their scale, which is "Waterproof so tight it floats or can handle quick submersions. The product could be permeated by water in any of the following applications: prolonged submersion, submersions greater than 3 feet in depth, high water pressure applications." They seem to work fine... the only times I've noticed that the insides get any moisture inside is when cachers inadvertently trap the water *in*, and even then, I've only noticed after a few months.

I've used a few of these. One even survived repeated flooding. Only problem with all of them is that the hinge eventually shattered.

Because many people like me don't like larger caches, and Altoids tins allow for an alternative to Nano's, and Bison Tubes. The only Altoids Tin I found was hidden in a tree, and it was so soaked I didn't want to open it let alone sign it. Disgusting, maybe with rust proof paint that won't happen?

How does rust proof paint make something waterproof? It just protects against rust.

These water wallets can do a decent job at keeping the water out. My mom uses them all the time for scuba. However I have seen them fail in those cases too. But usually the only thing that happens is a few dollars get soaked. As long as they are closed properly and the seal isn't compromised it should hold off rain and other moisture. Once water gets in though its over for anything inside. Which is true for any waterproof or watertight container.

As for the altoids tin, I found a bunch on a day of hunting that had varied results. All had a bit of rust, but it really is about the location of the hide that keeps the water out of them and the contents from getting ruined. Perhaps it is time to come up with a small container that has that added "room" inside that a hide-a-key doesn't offer that is great for urban hides.

How does rust proof paint make something waterproof? It just protects against rust.

That question was not rhetorical.

Then proffer an answer.

Then proffer an answer.

Proffer? Even the dictionary definition isn't making sense. -_-

Why? Were they cinnamon?

I don't like any of the flavors. they're too overpowering.

You mean too spicy?

If you use enough of it. Of course, it will also be impossible to open, then.

These water wallets can do a decent job at keeping the water out. My mom uses them all the time for scuba. However I have seen them fail in those cases too. But usually the only thing that happens is a few dollars get soaked. As long as they are closed properly and the seal isn't compromised it should hold off rain and other moisture. Once water gets in though its over for anything inside. Which is true for any waterproof or watertight container.

As for the altoids tin, I found a bunch on a day of hunting that had varied results. All had a bit of rust, but it really is about the location of the hide that keeps the water out of them and the contents from getting ruined. Perhaps it is time to come up with a small container that has that added "room" inside that a hide-a-key doesn't offer that is great for urban hides.

I wonder if they actually work better while diving. Wouldn't the water pressure keep the seal tighter?

Then proffer an answer.

Proffer? Even the dictionary definition isn't making sense. -_-

–verb (used with object) 1. to put before a person for acceptance; offer.

Put before us an answer.

I wonder if they actually work better while diving. Wouldn't the water pressure keep the seal tighter?

Normally they are fine while diving and i have worn them up to 80 feet down. Usually they start to leek when the seal gets compromised in some way.

Indeed, pressure plays a large role in how rubber and silicone seals work. They're designed to be deformed by the pressure in a specific way, and this deformation is what creates the seal. That's why even skimpy looking O-rings can absorb pressure difference of several hundred PSI. However, the seal needs to be intact even before the pressure difference occurs, otherwise the pressure will immediately slip through the leak, before the gasket can be deformed.

I can't vouch for what the local surf shop stocks, but I order mine from The Waterproof Store. They rate them as "3" on their scale, which is "Waterproof so tight it floats or can handle quick submersions..

That may very well be the difference. I don't know what brand the one my son bought is. It could be a cheap version, or it could be top end. When he bought it, he removed the label. I haven't really checked to see if it has any embossings on it which might indicate a brand. If i remember, i'll check when i get home. I just know it's yellow, constructed of thick plastic, has a rubber gasket, a plastic latch and stainless hinge/latch pins.

I would say the rating from the Waterproof Store is pretty accurate, as, in my viewpoint, a container which can only handle quick submissions is splash proof, not waterproof. For me, if I'm going to guide someone to a container deep in the swamp, I want to avoid, at least as much as possible, any chance of them finding a moldy log. That's why I prefer to set my standards a little higher than splash proof. If I were hiding P&Gs, I would be OK with using something like that, if a better container was not available.