Where do we sign up to adopt caches?

Where do we sign up to adopt caches that the Original CO no longer wants or can no longer take care of?

The cache owner has to do the initiating of the adoption process.

Read up on the Knowledge Books and the Guidelines. There's lots to learn and the folks at Groundspeak have spent a lot of time putting the information in user-friendly format.

Knowledge Books:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Guidelines:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

Why adopt? There are very, very, very few caches in the entire world that I feel are worth adopting, and I'm not so sure about those. If you feel the cache... be it the idea, or the place, is worthy of a cache, and the current one is in need of an owner, the for goodness sake... post a NA, let it die naturally, and put your own out there so those that found the first one have motivation to get back to that gorgeous spot. This cache adoption idea needs to die.

Why adopt? There are very, very, very few caches in the entire world that I feel are worth adopting, and I'm not so sure about those. If you feel the cache... be it the idea, or the place, is worthy of a cache, and the current one is in need of an owner, the for goodness sake... post a NA, let it die naturally, and put your own out there so those that found the first one have motivation to get back to that gorgeous spot. This cache adoption idea needs to die.

agreed

Oh dear, at the risk of getting my head chewed off by one (or many) of the much respected regulars... I'm afraid I must speak up and disagree here. I recently adopted an AMAZINGLY well done cache in my area, complete with detailed instructions for replication (should it become necessary) including websites where various pieces can be obtained. I think it is VERY much worth adopting (obviously). Somehow I doubt that in my limited caching experience I would happen to have found one of the FEW, so there must be others that are worthy out there... mustn't there?

The Thief of Children's Things for those who may be curious.

Oh, and in answer to the OPs question... the OWNER contacted US.

--Momma Caswell

Edited by thecaswellfamily

Though Cache Mx is (according to the site) the Owner of the cache's responsibility, I will regularly do Mx on others' caches. Reason for this is that IF I'm already there, and have the ability to replace or repair a portion of a cache it saves time and gas for the owner...

The Steaks

Okay, another question: Do any of you do maintenance on caches? Replace the water soaked logs, patch holes etc?

yes.

If the cache isn't mine, I wouldn't replace a container, but I have replaced many logs that didn't belong to me.

Edited by dorqie

That is a good question! I would not want someone to change out my log because of the history on it but can see helping someone out. I did find a container that was broken. I had one similar to it so I switched it out and left the old container there if the original person wanted it. I have also added logs to ones that were full. I have had people fix mine up and that is great just not sure about changing out logs if you cant leave the original.

-WarNinjas

That is a good question! I would not want someone to change out my log because of the history on it but can see helping someone out. I did find a container that was broken. I had one similar to it so I switched it out and left the old container there if the original person wanted it. I have also added logs to ones that were full. I have had people fix mine up and that is great just not sure about changing out logs if you cant leave the original.

-WarNinjas

If I find a full log, i leave the full one and put the fresh one in next to it.

The only times I have removed logs have been when they were wet, in which cases I have taken them home, dried them out and offered to return them to the co. No CO has ever taken me up on that offer, so I have just added them to the box where I keep my own full log books.