The Real World

On Saturday, July 23, 2011, I saw a young couple pull up across the road from where I was sitting on my front porch. I went out and asked them what they were looking for in the ditch, and if they needed help. They said it was a geocache they were after, and were quite dismissive of me. This made me recall another person who acted the same way a few weeks back at this location. It seems like some people don’t have time for even some basic communication. It is a missed opportunity, because as it is, I managed a team that created and delivered the first interactive GIS mapping application for the Internet 15 years ago, so I have a real interest in things "geo..." It would have been nice to have had a brief friendly conversation with those hustling to find the next “treasure.” Even a brief conversation about what they were up to in their hunt would have been good. Oh well, such is life. Maybe the next treasure hunter will want to stop and chat...

Update: I've now put some new goodies in the can across the road, and I've had an invite to have coffee from a member...life is good.

Edited by Frank_Kliewer

On Saturday, July 23, 2011, I saw a young couple pull up across the road from where I was sitting on the front porch. I went out and asked them what they were looking for in the ditch. They said it was a geocache. Well, they were quite dismissive of me, an older man, as I now recall another person was a few weeks back, when I indicated I knew a bit about GEOwhatever. It seems like some young people don't have time for us older folks. Well, as it is, I'm the guy that dreamed up and delivered the first interactive GIS mapping application on the Internet 15 years ago. It would have been nice to have had a friendly conversation with those hustling to find the next "treasure" when maybe they had found a real person with some connection to their game. Oh well, such is life. Maybe the next treasure hunter will want to stop and chat...about the real world.

Lots of people doing this are in a hurry to get as many caches as they can, Frank. I don't know if that is the case for the people that you ran into your not, but that is the case. Very cool that you were a pioneer in one aspect of our hobby... have you tried geocaching yet, yourself?

On Saturday, July 23, 2011, I saw a young couple pull up across the road from where I was sitting on the front porch. I went out and asked them what they were looking for in the ditch. They said it was a geocache. Well, they were quite dismissive of me, an older man, as I now recall another person was a few weeks back, when I indicated I knew a bit about GEOwhatever. It seems like some young people don’t have time for us older folks. Well, as it is, I’m the guy that dreamed up and delivered the first interactive GIS mapping application on the Internet 15 years ago. It would have been nice to have had a friendly conversation with those hustling to find the next “treasure” when maybe they had found a real person with some connection to their game. Oh well, such is life. Maybe the next treasure hunter will want to stop and chat...about the real world.

I think the real issue, is that a lot of geocachers are essentially "brainwashed" into thinking every muggle is bad. This really is not true, and the fact of the matter is most people respect what other people's hobbies are. I don't think it has to do with rushing, i've met plenty of geocachers, "on the trail", and they all were taking their time, enjoying the scenery, even in caches 5 feet from a parking lot.

Try not to act like a muggle. When you talk to the next geocacher, make sure you know what you are talking about, let them know you know all about their game, and that you will do no harm to the cache, as you've known about it for a while, they will see no reason to ignore you.

If you don't know, a muggle is someone who does not geocache or knows about geocaching.

Sorry you've had those negative experiences with Geocachers. I hope you'll recognize that most of us would be THRILLED to get to know you and to learn about your apparently gigantic contribution to this great game. :)

I don't know... Most geocachers I meet aren't that friendly.

The one time I went to an event, my wife and I felt pretty out of place and people were pretty curt with their greetings.

I have met some awesome, outgoing and really friendly geocachers, but I think they might be vocal minority?

That said, I'm okay with people not wanting to stop and chat with me. Life moves by, people have things they are doing and most small talk is honestly sort of boring. Different people and have different personalities, and being standoffish or even disinterested in meeting strangers is just a another one IMO. Not sure that I feel comfortable making a value judgement and saying they should do something they don't like.

I'd like to meet an interesting person like the OP while geocaching, but I can understand not being into for whatever reason.

Doesn't sound cool on a message board and people are gonna tear it apart, but those are the breaks.

I agree with the over-hyped paranoia about muggles probably playing into it.

I also kinda' feel like younger people tend to be friendlier to me than older ones. I wonder if this is because I'm a younger (26) cacher and the older cacher don't have time for us young folks. :laughing:

Edited by d+n.s

Sorry you've had those negative experiences with Geocachers. I hope you'll recognize that most of us would be THRILLED to get to know you and to learn about your apparently gigantic contribution to this great game. :)

The one time I went to an event, my wife and I felt pretty out of place and people were pretty curt with their greetings.

I have met some awesome, outgoing and really friendly geocachers, but I think they might be vocal minority?

That said, I'm okay with people not wanting to stop and chat with me. Life moves by, people have things they are doing and most small talk is honestly sort of boring. Different people and have different personalities, and being standoffish or even disinterested in meeting strangers is just a another one IMO. Not sure that I feel comfortable making a value judgement and saying they should do something they don't like.

I'd like to meet an interesting person like the OP while geocaching, but I can understand not being into for whatever reason.

Doesn't sound cool on a message board and people are gonna tear it apart, but those are the breaks.

I agree with the over-hyped paranoia about muggles probably playing into it.

I also kinda' feel like younger people tend to be friendlier to me than older ones. I wonder if this is because I'm a younger (26) cacher and the older cacher don't have time for us young folks.

I always have an escape plan for that sort of social gathering. The first event we went to was great, even if I was rather freaked out.

But some of the other cachers made a real point to say hi to us.

I wouldn't have talked with the OP unless I had good reason to think they were the landowner or another cacher- I don't talk to many strangers.

It would have been nice to have had a friendly conversation with those hustling to find the next “treasure” when maybe they had found a real person with some connection to their game. Oh well, such is life. Maybe the next treasure hunter will want to stop and chat...about the real world.

You should find out about that cache, know where it is. Most people will at least appreciate a little help (if necessary), so they can be on their way.

If I'm in a neighborhood, and someone approaches, it's rarely to have a friendly chat. So I'm more interested in finding the cache, signing it, and getting out of there, before drawing a crowd.

On Saturday, July 23, 2011, I saw a young couple pull up across the road from where I was sitting on the front porch. I went out and asked them what they were looking for in the ditch. They said it was a geocache. Well, they were quite dismissive of me, an older man, as I now recall another person was a few weeks back, when I indicated I knew a bit about GEOwhatever. It seems like some young people don’t have time for us older folks. Well, as it is, I’m the guy that dreamed up and delivered the first interactive GIS mapping application on the Internet 15 years ago. It would have been nice to have had a friendly conversation with those hustling to find the next “treasure” when maybe they had found a real person with some connection to their game. Oh well, such is life. Maybe the next treasure hunter will want to stop and chat...about the real world.

Lot of young people think we old guys are not technology minded. They forget all what they are using today has been developed/implemented by people most of them retired based on theories and ideas often older !

What annoy me is that most of them are just users, don't understand the internals, the logic and yet they think they know.

Yes, we dreamed this world but I wonder what is coming next.

Good comments on my post. I typically find people and their stories an important part of life. So, it is a bit of a loss to miss a conversational opportunity with the strangers that pop-up here during their quest. I located and added to the treasure across the road, to enhance the next person’s experience, even if we don’t chat. Happy Trails…

I agree about the heavy paranoia of all people who may be around a cache who may or may not be a cacher. I try to say hi. I've stopped to have very long conversations with non-cachers while out. But all in all I'm a pretty anti-social person. I like geocaching because I don't have to be social while doing it so sometimes I just don't stop to have conversations (I'm inundated with conversation all day at work).

Try to not take it personally.

We met up with one (a geocacher) the other day as he was leaving and we were arriving at a placement. We found it odd, he didn't want to talk in the least -- asked if he found it, he answered "No" and left (yes it was an easy one). Maybe he was in a hurry to expand his find count from the current 12,000+! Maybe it was the fact that a trooper was close-by, and he was "spooked". Yes, the trooper did speak with us, as he was investigating something that happened earlier. We know not what.

It's a shame you came across that Frank, I for one would have enjoyed a conversation about the game/anything and have no idea why others wouldn't. I would love to bump into some fellow Geocachers as at the moment I've never actually come across any... perhaps I'll think differently if I have an encounter similar to yours.

I enjoy the social interaction of the game more than the game itself.

I have a cache on my front porch and the listing tells folks that they can contact me or not, their choice. Some call me, some knock on the door, some sneak in and sign it without letting me know they are there. Of course my wife's little yappie dog lets me know they are out there, but I don't go to the door unless they call or knock, figuring that if they want to be left alone I should respect that. Of the majority who do call or knock I've met some interesting people and had some great conversations, even had several come in and look up cache info or run a PQ while they are here.

I have to admit that when someone whom I presume to be a muggle asks if I'm looking for something/need help, I typically tell them I'm looking for my earring. They don't typically offer to help, which is fine because it allows me to continue with the hunt. I never dreamed I was being rude. This thread has definitely given me something to think about the next time I'm approached.

I have to admit that when someone whom I presume to be a muggle asks if I'm looking for something/need help, I typically tell them I'm looking for my earring. They don't typically offer to help, which is fine because it allows me to continue with the hunt. I never dreamed I was being rude. This thread has definitely given me something to think about the next time I'm approached.

Try it! You will meet some interesting folks! I'm a 56 y.o. one-legged fat man on crutches, so I attract a lot of attention... not much way to be stealthy when everyone is watching you, so I include them, tell them about the game, show them the cache if they seem interested, even give them the gc.com address and my email and tell them to contact me if they have any questions about getting started. I think you will find that most people are good and well worth talking to.

But that's all part of my good Southern upbringing, we tend to be like that down here. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm sorry the guy didn't stop and talk with you. You know, some people are social, some aren't. I'm not. I'll talk on paper, in a forum, etc., but face to face you'll get more words out of a door knob than me. :) I internally cringe when I see people approaching while I'm caching - has nothing to do with their age, whether they're a muggle or not, etc. - I just don't like polite chit chat (get way too much of that at work).

So it's possible that this guy's brusk reaction had nothing negative to do with you. I'm glad to see that some of the more social cachers have contacted you since your post in the forum.

Frank,

There are a few of us who are not real comfortable with caches that are in close proximity to residences (or businesses for that matter). It's happened to us a couple of times. We show-up and are immediately uncomfortable, but we take a quick look. Next time, just say "Did you find it"? That usually puts everyone on the same plain. We've all encountered some degree of property owner angst in this sport.

Frank,

There are a few of us who are not real comfortable with caches that are in close proximity to residences (or businesses for that matter). It's happened to us a couple of times. We show-up and are immediately uncomfortable, but we take a quick look. Next time, just say "Did you find it"? That usually puts everyone on the same plain. We've all encountered some degree of property owner angst in this sport.

I agree, I'm very uncomfortable with looking too near someone's residence. We had two today that were either in the front yard or the side yard. I was seriously thinking about leaving the first when a daughter drove up and told us we were in the right area as she went in the house. Immediately I felt better about poking around her front yard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if someone approaches and asks if we'd like a hint or gives us the impression they know what we're doing, I feel much more comfortable about not only being there, but also in engaging them in conversation.

A couple weeks ago, as we were coming out of a trail, an older couple sitting at a picnic table asked us a question as we walked by. Can't remember exactly what, but we stopped to chat for a bit and ended up talking with them over half an hour. They didn't cache, but they do search for old cemeteries all over. Very interesting couple. We showed them our GPSrs and found out that he used to be a geologist and was very knowledgable about how they worked.

The other day I was on the bus, with my headphones on, reading a book. A lady sat down next to me and started bombarding me with questions. While I didn`t want to be mean, I was annoyed. I was looking forward to tuning out the world. I wasn`t in the mood to befriend a stranger. Sometimes people just don't feel like chatting, some people go caching to be alone.

Another poster has pointed out that if they didn't know you were ok with them geocaching, that could have been a reason to be vague about it.

"What are you doing/looking for?" can seem like an accusation to a geocacher.

I'll admit I'm guilty of not being the most talkative guy in person. Even at caching events I often spend my time in one place and let people circulate to me -- I sort of envy those people who just walk up to other tables or groups and start talking away as if the person is their newest best friend.

I've been "busted" so many times when caching that I've actually gotten tired with explaining the game to people (and getting one of these :blink: ) so I'll often go out of my way to avoid mention Geocaching when I'm out and about.

Now, once I get to know you and I let my guard down then you can't shut me up. Adding beer does the same thing -- unless you are a pretty woman in which case I end up tripping all over myself. :anibad:

I'll admit I'm guilty of not being the most talkative guy in person. Even at caching events I often spend my time in one place and let people circulate to me -- I sort of envy those people who just walk up to other tables or groups and start talking away as if the person is their newest best friend.

I've been "busted" so many times when caching that I've actually gotten tired with explaining the game to people (and getting one of these :blink: ) so I'll often go out of my way to avoid mention Geocaching when I'm out and about.

Now, once I get to know you and I let my guard down then you can't shut me up. Adding beer does the same thing -- unless you are a pretty woman in which case I end up tripping all over myself. :anibad:

That's another good point.

It usually takes forever for me to explain what geocaching is to someone, most of the muggles I encounter don't even know what a handheld GPSr is. I usually end up frustrated, because when I finally successfully explain what the game is, they don't understand why I bother playing it.

People hide things and post the coordinates online. Anyone can use a GPS to navigate to those coordinates to find what they hid. How long does it take to explain that? <_<

forever! In my town people won't just nod and smile when they hear that, they want all the gory details

I was hunting a cache the other day and I came upon a group of people in a creek, since I didn't want to look like I was up to no good I waved. If I was not on a schedule I would have asked if they are geocachers. I make small talk with people, it's a character flaw my dad gave me :D

Where the heck do you live? Around here we go out of our way to welcome new geocachers. If a new face shows up at an event there is practically a line of people to greet him. Maybe it's a local cultural thing?

Where the heck do you live? Around here we go out of our way to welcome new geocachers. If a new face shows up at an event there is practically a line of people to greet him. Maybe it's a local cultural thing?

I am going to my first event on August 3rd I hope it is like what you describe. I imagine most people will be surprised that a teenager show up.

I have found Geocachers to be generally very friendly. When I have met Geocachers "in the wild" we have always had a nice chat.

Of course when I see a person near the cache location, my initial reaction is to be cautious. Is it a muggle? Not to be unfriendly to a muggle, but to not cause any issues for the cache (like a call out to the bomb squad!).

After that, I play it by ear. Once I had a muggle ask me "are you doing that gps hunting thing, I've heard about that". In that case I said yes and we had a nice talk about it (though I did not show him the cache).

I don't wanna say where it was, people can figure it out if they care that much, but it would seem rude.

It be fair, it was a flash mob, so I suppose time was short.

I introduced myself and the wife to about 4 or 5 people saying it was our first event and we usually just got a "hey." out of people.

2 or 3 cachers were really nice to us and we had nice little chats with them, but for most it was like I was asking them out on a date or something when I'd ask what their "caching name" was :laughing:

I know our community here is pretty good (I'm acive on our local group's forum and facebook) so I was pretty shocked when people were disinterested in saying howdy. The only reason we could come up with was our obvious age difference from the other people there.

Same thing happened when I visited HQ. The older cachers kind of grouped together and didn't seem to interested in engaging when I'd try to strike up a friendly chat. We had really nice conversations with the lackeys and a geocaching "vlogger" who was there recording his completion of the "trifecta", but everybody else was pretty stand offish and gave one word answers.

The few times I've met cachers in real life whiile caching have been pretty hit and miss. During Texas Parks and Wildlife's Texas Gecaching Challenge I met a few really awesome cachers (One of which perhaps ironically hosted the event we attended! Was very nice on both occasions btw!)and a few who couldn't care less.

The most notable occasion when my friend somehow managed to deduce from paying attention to cars in the parking lots when we were coming and going from state parks, signatures in the logs and from the person's gender that, "This girl up here is ____. I guarantee it!"

As she approached he asked, "Let me guess... you are ___ am I right?"

"Yeah."

"Awesome! We've been right behind you all day! my name is ___, this is ___ and this is ___"

"Cool." *walks away*

Very weird stuff...

I deal with people for a living and I'm generally considered charismatic by people who know me. I don't LIKE meeting strangers, but I'm good at it. With cacherts though, it seems like a 50/50 shot that they will just blow me off. I've found non-cachers to be friendlier in general than cachers.

That said, geeks in general tend to be less friendly than non geeks imo, and geocaching is a little geeky (I can use the "g word" I'm a former dungeon master)

I've only been to a couple flashmob events, but IME, they probably aren't the best for newcomers. Basically, people show up, sign the log, and then form small groups that go off and do something else (find geocaches, get pizza, whatever). There isn't a lot of time to get to know other people before everyone scatters.

I don't wanna say where it was, people can figure it out if they care that much, but it would seem rude.

It be fair, it was a flash mob, so I suppose time was short.

I introduced myself and the wife to about 4 or 5 people saying it was our first event and we usually just got a "hey." out of people.

2 or 3 cachers were really nice to us and we had nice little chats with them, but for most it was like I was asking them out on a date or something when I'd ask what their "caching name" was :laughing:

I know our community here is pretty good (I'm acive on our local group's forum and facebook) so I was pretty shocked when people were disinterested in saying howdy. The only reason we could come up with was our obvious age difference from the other people there.

Same thing happened when I visited HQ. The older cachers kind of grouped together and didn't seem to interested in engaging when I'd try to strike up a friendly chat. We had really nice conversations with the lackeys and a geocaching "vlogger" who was there recording his completion of the "trifecta", but everybody else was pretty stand offish and gave one word answers.

The few times I've met cachers in real life whiile caching have been pretty hit and miss. During Texas Parks and Wildlife's Texas Gecaching Challenge I met a few really awesome cachers (One of which perhaps ironically hosted the event we attended! Was very nice on both occasions btw!)and a few who couldn't care less.

The most notable occasion when my friend somehow managed to deduce from paying attention to cars in the parking lots when we were coming and going from state parks, signatures in the logs and from the person's gender that, "This girl up here is ____. I guarantee it!"

As she approached he asked, "Let me guess... you are ___ am I right?"

"Yeah."

"Awesome! We've been right behind you all day! my name is ___, this is ___ and this is ___"

"Cool." *walks away*

Very weird stuff...

I deal with people for a living and I'm generally considered charismatic by people who know me. I don't LIKE meeting strangers, but I'm good at it. With cacherts though, it seems like a 50/50 shot that they will just blow me off. I've found non-cachers to be friendlier in general than cachers.

That said, geeks in general tend to be less friendly than non geeks imo, and geocaching is a little geeky (I can use the "g word" I'm a former dungeon master)

First off, a Flash Mob Event is not the best place to meet folks. They're only gonna be there 15-20 minutes, anyway, My brother, Semper Questio, is hosting an event in Austin in October. He tries to ensure that everyone enjoys themselves. Give it a try.

Or, take a trip up here to the PNW. We are an event-happy bunch. There are 18 events on the schedule in Washington State between now and Halloween. And, I'm sure there will be more.

The folks generally visiting the Lilly Pad seem a tad awe-struck about being there. Especially if they came a long distance. Sorta like going to Mecca, I guess. We've tried talking to out-of-towners when we're there, to not much avail. On the other hand, the Lackeys talk our ears off. Some of them, cuz they're nice folks, and want to talk about what they do. Others, cuz we've known them for years, and want to tell us all about everything.

Generally, in our modern paranoid society, I find that most people (including cachers) are not real interested in talking to someone that a) they have never met B) will likely never talk to again. Except for up here. Most of the cachers that live here will talk to pretty much anybody.

I am very impressed with the replies to my original post. The sincere sharing of thoughts and feelings about communicating with other group members as well as the general public is very telling indeed. You are an amazing social group, even if you are not being social at a given site, and just on a mission. I'm so glad I registered here, added to the treasure across the street and if I find the time, as I'm very busy as a writer, I will check into your activities as an extension of my work 15 years ago, in bringing interactive GIS to the Internet. Thank you all very much!

I am going to my first event on August 3rd I hope it is like what you describe. I imagine most people will be surprised that a teenager show up.

Not necessarily, there are usually other kids so a teenager isn't too big of a difference .

I don't know... Most geocachers I meet aren't that friendly.The one time I went to an event, my wife and I felt pretty out of place and people were pretty curt with their greetings.

Ive been to two events and felt the same exact way. There were maybe 2 people at each event that wanted to talk w/ us. But thats alright. I dont cache to meet people.

I am very impressed with the replies to my original post. The sincere sharing of thoughts and feelings about communicating with other group members as well as the general public is very telling indeed. You are an amazing social group, even if you are not being social at a given site, and just on a mission. I'm so glad I registered here, added to the treasure across the street and if I find the time, as I'm very busy as a writer, I will check into your activities as an extension of my work 15 years ago, in bringing interactive GIS to the Internet. Thank you all very much!

A geocaching writer...cool! Write about your geocaching adventures in our free online magazine The Online Geocacher.

I'm all about the social aspects of this game. It attracts, for some reason, some really interesting and fun people. Having found a few thousand caches in 26 states and attended events in, I think, 15 I find geocachers on the whole to be the most open and accepting folks I have ever known.

One of the things that I love about Freemasonry is the brotherhood of fraternity. I know that I can go to any lodge in the world and be immediately accepted and trusted. It is comforting to know that no matter where I am if I were to need help I would have locals to call upon who would do whatever they could. I feel much that way about geocaching. I can show up at an event and be immediately accepted into the group. I've shown up unannounced at many a weekend campout of geocachers, sat down around the campfire and introduced myself, had a great time and left the event the next day with some new friends. I love that!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Not necessarily, there are usually other kids so a teenager isn't too big of a difference .

Short while ago, a local event attracted a small handful of college students (they seemed awfully young(!))--

All of the attendees were happy they showed, and I believe the were happy also as they sure seemed to have fun, AND they got to learn a lot from us old *(bags of wind)*. Tricks and tips floated freely. Many of us have 'friend'-ed them, and are following their progress.

Tip: The first event (maybe even the second) may feel or seem awkward to you. But don't despair, as your face becomes familiar to the 'regulars', you just seem to fall right into the fold. By the third event, it seems that nobody is a stranger except for those that took your 'newbie' place. Then, it's your turn to take them by the arm. :)

I don't know... Most geocachers I meet aren't that friendly.The one time I went to an event, my wife and I felt pretty out of place and people were pretty curt with their greetings.

Ive been to two events and felt the same exact way. There were maybe 2 people at each event that wanted to talk w/ us. But thats alright. I dont cache to meet people.

I'd give it more than one event, and, for d+n.s., try a different event venue from a flash mob.

Our first couple events were very awkward, as we were the only Americans there, everyone else was German and knew each other. So it was a little hard breaking the ice. But I stuck it out, and each time I'd talk to a few more folks. Eventually we started hosting events, and even though they were aimed at American military, at least half the folks who came to my events were local German cachers.

We've moved twice after that and had to break the ice in new geocaching communities, but it was a ton easier when everyone spoke English, not just to us but to each other!

For my job, I often have to attend events (of the non-geocaching sort) where I don't know anyone. Being the socially awkward type, I find this very uncomfortable. Or rather, I did... until I found this book:

How to Work a Room

Bottom line is, if you are at an event and no one knows you, you have two choices: you can stand around and hope someone comes to you, or you can go to them. It's hard, at first, but the book explains exactly how to do it. Once you become adept at "mingling," you'll find it easy to meet people wherever you may be.

First hint: there are other people there who don't know anyone, and don't know what to do about it. They are easy to spot. Go talk to them! You'll make them feel welcome, they'll have more fun, and you'll have more fun!

For my job, I often have to attend events (of the non-geocaching sort) where I don't know anyone. Being the socially awkward type, I find this very uncomfortable. Or rather, I did... until I found this book:

How to Work a Room

Bottom line is, if you are at an event and no one knows you, you have two choices: you can stand around and hope someone comes to you, or you can go to them. It's hard, at first, but the book explains exactly how to do it. Once you become adept at "mingling," you'll find it easy to meet people wherever you may be.

First hint: there are other people there who don't know anyone, and don't know what to do about it. They are easy to spot. Go talk to them! You'll make them feel welcome, they'll have more fun, and you'll have more fun!

I tell people who are shy who I work with fake it until you make it. If you go out there and just do it eventually it becomes much more natural.

I'm really not a social person. I'm not shy but I'm just not social (don't like to talk to people after spending all day talking to them). But if I have to do I'll grab the bull by the horns and be social. It doesn't hurt and it can be fun.

I've been to nineteen events. I find event goers to be rather cliquish. They chat with the people they know. Those of use who are bashful get bored rather quickly. Oh, well. That's why I don't attend very many events.

The 10/10/10 Event was better. A number of cacher from out of the area attended, and I knew a few of them.

I think the real issue, is that a lot of geocachers are essentially "brainwashed" into thinking every muggle is bad. This really is not true, and the fact of the matter is most people respect what other people's hobbies are. I don't think it has to do with rushing, i've met plenty of geocachers, "on the trail", and they all were taking their time, enjoying the scenery, even in caches 5 feet from a parking lot.

Try not to act like a muggle. When you talk to the next geocacher, make sure you know what you are talking about, let them know you know all about their game, and that you will do no harm to the cache, as you've known about it for a while, they will see no reason to ignore you.

If you don't know, a muggle is someone who does not geocache or knows about geocaching.

I typically try to brainwash every muggle that approaches me into being a potential geocacher!!!

Some one approaches me, I will spend time with them, letting them know what I am up to.