Message in a bottle

Foxfire and Snoopy

OOps, I put this in the wrong catagory earlier. Let me try again.

This may have already been done. I have an idea for a cache, help me out. I was thinking of putting together a small cache and tossing it into the river. I think it would be interesting to see how far it would travel or if anyone would find or log it. I had the idea while on vacation at the beach watching the surf. I thought of the message in a bottle.

You couldn't give coordinates to find it so it wouldn't be a geocache. I suppose you could try just as a chance bottle out there as I'm sure many have done. I suppose if many more did it the ocean would be pretty messy. I'd rather geocache icon_smile.gif

You couldn't give coordinates to find it so it wouldn't be a geocache. I suppose you could try just as a chance bottle out there as I'm sure many have done. I suppose if many more did it the ocean would be pretty messy. I'd rather geocache icon_smile.gif

As cool as an Idea as that is it has the same effect as relesing dozens of postcarded balloons. the ones that don;t get collected just wind up as litter on the ground and in the trees/power lines, etc, etc.

I think that this could be easily considered littering.

and I don't think we what the choking of our waterways with intentional trash connected to Geocaching.

Sorry to sound like a killjoy but thats my 2 cents worth.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Every time I visit my cache at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi River, I have the urge to release a message in a bottle. But then I look around and notice the amount of crap that is already in the rivers, realizing that I would only be adding to the problem. As fun as it would be to release one, and as thrilling as it would be to find one, I feel the best thing I can do is pick up other people's trash.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by Foxfire and Snoopy:

I was thinking of putting together a small cache and tossing it into the river. I think it would be interesting to see how far it would travel or if anyone would find or log it. I had the idea while on vacation at the beach watching the surf. I thought of the message in a bottle.

Try thinking about waterskiing...and breaking your ankle when you hit that cache at 20mph with your foot.

Try thinking about towing your kid in a tube behind your boat, and having her crack her head open on that cache.

Try thinking about hitting a floating cache with your new $9000 jetski and totaling the ski.

Try thinking about every other person around you tossing a cache in the river, with no clue where it may end up.

Try thinking about all the other people who use the waterways besides you.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Try putting a WheresGeorge dollar bill in a bottle and toss it into a water way. I did that once in Turkey Creek her in south west MO, it ended up off the coast of Texas in the Gulf of Mexico before it was found.

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

My great-grandfather was a women's underwear buyer for a major department store in San Jose, California. He used to go on fishing trips. Each trip, he would release a bottle with a note inside, giving his address and promising a pair of silk stockings to whoever found the bottle.

He got some interesting replies from people who found his bottles, sometimes quite far from where he released them. He sent out the silk stockings as promised, too, icon_smile.gif

I agree with the other posters. Now, with the pollution in our waterways, and the heavy use they see, your idea isn't such a good one in practice. But it's a nice theory, and was probably good fun in the Thirties.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

My great-grandfather was a women's underwear buyer for a major department store in San Jose, California. He used to go on fishing trips. Each trip, he would release a bottle with a note inside, giving his address and promising a pair of silk stockings to whoever found the bottle.

He got some interesting replies from people who found his bottles, sometimes quite far from where he released them. He sent out the silk stockings as promised, too, icon_smile.gif

I agree with the other posters. Now, with the pollution in our waterways, and the heavy use they see, your idea isn't such a good one in practice. But it's a nice theory, and was probably good fun in the Thirties.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Ok, so the whole polution side of the issue has been discussed, and that's a good point. But my first reaction was "It's not worth it."

1. Someone has to find that bottle - chances are they won't

2. Whoever finds it needs access to a computer - still not great odds

3. They'd need to care enough to log it

I'd say it's a waste of time that could be better spent caching.

But, I do now have an idea on what to do with a Where's George dollar that's been laying around here for a while! icon_smile.gif

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

Ok, so the whole polution side of the issue has been discussed, and that's a good point. But my first reaction was "It's not worth it."

1. Someone has to find that bottle - chances are they won't

2. Whoever finds it needs access to a computer - still not great odds

3. They'd need to care enough to log it

I'd say it's a waste of time that could be better spent caching.

But, I do now have an idea on what to do with a Where's George dollar that's been laying around here for a while! icon_smile.gif

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44