I picked up this hitchhiker . . .

So I picked up this hitchhiker here in Northern California. When I dropped him off at his destination he says "Hey do you have access to the internet at home?" I say "Yeah". So he hands me this box and says he retrieved it from behind a log back down the road. It is a Geocaching box that has been in the location that he picked it up from since 2007. French Creek drive, Shingle springs . . .nice little drive actually that is why I was going home the scenic route in the first place. Anyhow . . .I have no access to a GPS and no way of knowing where to put the box back. I live within a mile of where the box should be. How do I get it back to the hiding spot?

Is there a name of the cache or cache owner on the box, or inside the logbook? If there is, you can contact the cache owner through geocaching.com. Did you pick up your hitchhiker on French Creek Drive in Shingle Springs? There are probably a few folks on here trying to track this down right now....

edit - could it be GC1M45V ? Click on the cache owners name - under title of cache, it's in red, and send them a message. Good luck!

Edited by popokiiti

Is there a name of the cache or cache owner on the box, or inside the logbook? If there is, you can contact the cache owner through geocaching.com. Did you pick up your hitchhiker on French Creek Drive in Shingle Springs? There are probably a few folks on here trying to track this down right now....

edit - could it be GC1M45V ? Click on the cache owners name - under title of cache, it's in red, and send them a message. Good luck!

The OP said that the hitchhiker picked up the "box" sometime in 2007. This cache was published in 2009. Unless I misunderstood something, That cache isn't the correct one.

Edit: I read the post too fast. Never mind... Don't bother quoting this post..

Edited by sword fern

LOL. So I started reading the red book. Found out that my neighbor found and left something in the box last month. I'll get her to put it back for me. Thanks for all those who replied . . .BTW I'm leaving something in the box and on the logbook. =)

It's fun.

Its kind of like reverse Geocaching. Here is the box . . .figure out how to get it back where it belongs by following the clues.

The OP said that the hitchhiker picked up the "box" sometime in 2007. This cache was published in 2009. Unless I misunderstood something, That cache isn't the correct one.

Edit: I read the post too fast. Never mind... Don't bother quoting this post..

"has been in the location that he picked it up from since 2007"

I haven't been to the west coast... Ever... People still HitchHike in California? I thought that only happened in third world countries and britain.

While not necessarily legal hitch hiking is a fairly regular occurance in my rural part of the Midwest. I've hitch hiked a good number of times to get between towns for one reason or another and picked up people too.

I haven't been to the west coast... Ever... People still HitchHike in California? I thought that only happened in third world countries and britain.

I've been surprised to see people hitchiking around here fairly often. It's always been someone on one of the main roads heading out of town and there's this one guy that I've seen quite a bit. I've never actually seen anyone getting picked up while hitchiking though. A few weeks ago we went to a minor league baseball game it a city about 40 miles from here. On the way out of town there was a guy with his thumb out and a sign for "Delaware". An the way home, at about 10:00pm on the very dark road I saw someone about 15 miles from the hitchiker we saw earlier. He was still about 8 miles from the interstate.

It sounds like the OP has a solution for returning the cache. I hope that he logs it online as well and the cache owner thanks him appropriately.

If you have netflix check out the documentary called "thumbs up". Its about two hitchhikers going across country. Some parts seem a bit staged, but still quite interesting.

No The hitchhiker picked up the box today. The first entry in the red book is Place B 10/21/07 by B.O.S.H. Marshalloo.

That would be (at least one part of it) B.O.S.N., who seems to be a local cacher. I went through his list of finds from that day, but none seemed to match the location.

Backtrack the logs in the logbook. See what caches the cachers found on the dates listed and see if you can find the cache that is common on most of them.

Backtrack the logs in the logbook. See what caches the cachers found on the dates listed and see if you can find the cache that is common on most of them.

Im surprised nobody has said that yet...

What he said.

Um, that's been done already:

Maybe beaglenut can put it back for me. Beaglenut visited on 6/14/11 and left a card that indicates that he or she lives in rescue, which is near here. So I'll look up beaglenut on the site . . ..

LOL. So I started reading the red book. Found out that my neighbor found and left something in the box last month. I'll get her to put it back for me. Thanks for all those who replied . . .BTW I'm leaving something in the box and on the logbook. =)

It's fun.

Its kind of like reverse Geocaching. Here is the box . . .figure out how to get it back where it belongs by following the clues.

It's fun.

That's funny. :D

I found a cache once that was a good 50 miles from where it was supposed to be. Took me a while to match up names in the log book to logs online, but I finally figured it out. I like reverse Geocaching - makes for a fun twist to the game!

No The hitchhiker picked up the box today. The first entry in the red book is Place B 10/21/07 by B.O.S.H. Marshalloo.

That would be (at least one part of it) B.O.S.N., who seems to be a local cacher. I went through his list of finds from that day, but none seemed to match the location.

Following on your detecting... the other part would be MarshallOD who co placed a few with B.O.S.N. Still active in Ogden UTAH

He archived several in California. I thought I found one near Shingle Springs of his, but it vanished on me... seems to be happening today. It could be any of several placed in 2007 though. I'll look again later.

Doug 7rxc

Following on your detecting... the other part would be MarshallOD who co placed a few with B.O.S.N. Still active in Ogden UTAH

He archived several in California. I thought I found one near Shingle Springs of his, but it vanished on me... seems to be happening today. It could be any of several placed in 2007 though. I'll look again later.

Doug 7rxc

Look at the caches found by Beaglenut on June 14, as the OP stated that he found that username in the cache log.

Look at the caches found by Beaglenut on June 14, as the OP stated that he found that username in the cache log.

Found one that matches a lot of it... place date, BOSN and MarshallOD and Beaglenut on the 14 of June...

B.O.S.N.'s Country Curves GC175N0 nothing showing it's gone away though, Our power has been dropping out all morning here.

never on for more than a few minutes, it's frustrating.

Doug 7rxc

I've been surprised to see people hitchiking around here fairly often.

I see quite a lot of hitchhiking in Canada. A few years ago, at Bay of Fundy National Park in New Brunswick, I was limping along a road returning to the trailhead after finishing a semi-loop backpacking hike. A guy pulled up and offered me a ride even without me sticking my thumb out. (I gladly accepted.)

During this past Christmas holidays, my college-age nephew went on a week-long hitchhiking trip, starting in Minnesota.

Edited by CanadianRockies

I am still curious about how the hitchhiker ended up with the geocache in his possession, and what made him decide to hand it off to the guy that gave him a ride, just because that person had access to the internet. This has a very odd and perplexing back story, it seems to me!

I am still curious about how the hitchhiker ended up with the geocache in his possession, and what made him decide to hand it off to the guy that gave him a ride, just because that person had access to the internet. This has a very odd and perplexing back story, it seems to me!

I'm guessing that he found it, popped it open, and decided to take it. At some point later he went through all the contents, and found the letter explaining what it is, wasn't sure exactly where he picked it up, so he gave it to the first person he met who had internet access.

So I picked up this hitchhiker here in Northern California. When I dropped him off at his destination he says "Hey do you have access to the internet at home?" I say "Yeah". So he hands me this box and says he retrieved it from behind a log back down the road. It is a Geocaching box that has been in the location that he picked it up from since 2007. French Creek drive, Shingle springs . . .nice little drive actually that is why I was going home the scenic route in the first place. Anyhow . . .I have no access to a GPS and no way of knowing where to put the box back. I live within a mile of where the box should be. How do I get it back to the hiding spot?

Thank You for trying to find the owner or relocate the cache. You rock!

I'm guessing that he found it, popped it open, and decided to take it. At some point later he went through all the contents, and found the letter explaining what it is, wasn't sure exactly where he picked it up, so he gave it to the first person he met who had internet access.

We can all guess. I'm more curious about what really happened than what I can imagine happened. Why, for example, would he decide to take it? Don't get me wrong... I do not believe that there is any evil afoot, but that not everything really adds up in my mind.

I hitchhike all the time in Canada. The BF and I picked up some hitch hikers yesterday. I hitched once in AZ.

Bono was hitching in the Vancouver area and got a ride from a hockey player and his girlfriend, who was driving. The girlfriend didn't believe him at first, but turned the car around and they picked up Bono and the person he was with. I think their car broke down? He gave them tickets to his concert that night.

Hi all -- I just got a note from a forum member suggesting I take a look at this thread... I'm glad they said something. I am the owner of the cache "BOSN's Country Curves" which I adopted when she and MarshallOD left California for Utah last year. If this is, indeed, the cache which was handed to a someone by a hitchhiker, I would be happy to get it back so that I can replace it in it's proper location! Please drop me a note at gplamy@hotmail.com if you have this cache in your possession and let me know how I can get in touch with you. Crazy story; I guess 'muggling' of caches can happen in many ways!

What a cool community you guys have here. Just received the e-mail from GPlamy sounds like it is your box. Thanks for doing the detective work on B.O.S.N. And Marshall OD I am sure that this is right. B.O.S.N and GPlamy have already contacted me. GPlamy I will send you an e mail tonight with my address and you can pick up the box at your convenience. My neighbors daughter, the one who cached the box (is that the correct term?) actually does not live at home anymore and I don

T want to trouble her mother and father too much with the box. As for the hitchhiker, he was going into town to get beer at the liquor store . . .hehe. He lives a good six miles from town, but it was hot, and dammit he was thirsty. Young guy in his twenties. Nothing better to do than to walk six miles into town in the 100 degree heat to pic up some beer. I was once like that and can relate. Probably picked up the box and did not know what to do with it. He described it to me as "some sort of geography game". Could have saved some trouble if I would have known what it was. Could have told him to put it back! I wonder if he is the one who leaves those natural ice cans along the road on the weekends. Probably. Btw I saw another hitchhiker in Auburn today, did not pick him up because I had my kids with me. Anyhow . ..thanks to all the sleuths . . .lets get this thing back into it's proper place.

You're expecting logical behavior from someone who travels in the most illogical manner possible? :)

I picked up a hitchhiker once. He raped my dog and stole my car. (No, not really.)

7rxc thanks for the help on this. Navigating this site and looking up where people have been is difficult to figure out.

Hey! You're Welcome. As stated in another post, IF you found it entertaining to do this, and it makes some sense to you...

Then by all means get a GPS and start caching. You already have the account, and a fair bit of new experience, and some real enthusiasm. Almost all questions can be handled here collectively. I think is was WK's Pogo that said " none of us is as smart as all of us". Regardless, the community as a whole is a powerful beast... occasionally it takes a nip, but is mostly helpful.

As for getting used to the site(s), it happens to us all when things get updated... have to poke around and read a lot. Also ask if you can't find something, including the methods.

Using H H's suggestions above... Looking up those caches (I already had and passed on them) they really didn't fit the stated facts as listed in your posts. Mostly the publishing dates, cache owner, locations and so on. They HAD been visited by beaglenut on the date offered, and were in the area. Reading the bits offered led to the correct ID of B.O.S.N and MarshallOD, sometimes writing in old logs gets distorted/blurred/faded out. That takes some practice. There are of course member lookups and various links that can be followed... The big thing, as in any puzzle is get all the information possible, weed out the chaff, and then use the best clues to narrow it down. You'll need that part if you continue and happen to try puzzle caches, but even so it also works for regulars as well... but it's often visual in nature. They are hidden after all!

Thanks to you for your efforts as well.

Doug 7rxc hmmm hot day, cold beer... mmmm

Raise your hand if you hope Tadpole starts geocaching with their kids after this :laughing:

I certainly support that idea! tardyviking might like some help getting going from a local while he decides. Not sure if he has any gear to do so, but seems to have the urge and interest.

Thanks for your suggestions. You'll see my note to tardyviking as well.

Doug 7rxc

Raise your hand if you hope Tadpole starts geocaching with their kids after this :laughing:

I certainly support that idea! tardyviking might like some help getting going from a local while he decides. Not sure if he has any gear to do so, but seems to have the urge and interest.

Thanks for your suggestions. You'll see my note to tardyviking as well.

Doug 7rxc

Duly noted - changed it :) I was tired haha.

tardyviking might like some help getting going from a local while he decides. Not sure if he has any gear to do so, but seems to have the urge and interest.

That wasn't a complaint actually. :rolleyes: The part I've left in here was a suggestion for any locals to act upon if possible.

He seems to have family as well. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular down there, it's just what I would do if it was around here. gplamy may have first contact opportunity. They sound like they have a good time as well.

Doug 7rxc

tardyviking might like some help getting going from a local while he decides. Not sure if he has any gear to do so, but seems to have the urge and interest.

That wasn't a complaint actually. :rolleyes: The part I've left in here was a suggestion for any locals to act upon if possible.

He seems to have family as well. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular down there, it's just what I would do if it was around here. gplamy may have first contact opportunity. They sound like they have a good time as well.

Doug 7rxc

Haha - I was referring to the fact that I wrote his name as "Tadpole" instead of Tardyviking... I thought you were correcting that :) Too funny!