Having problems with geocachin map w/Firefox 5.0

JC_Geo

When I view caches on the geocaching map (beta maps at default map size) while in Firefox 5.0 I see no cache symbols. If I zoom out far, the caches will eventually appear but only in small groups of 3 - 7 caches appearing on the map.

If I use IE 9 I have no problems at all.

When using the previous version of Firefox, I had no problems.

Using Windows 7

Any ideas.

Edited by JC_Geo

Sorry, but I don't really understand the problem. On the maps, the caches appear as symbols, and as you zoom out they appear as groups? What does that mean? :unsure:

It really just sounds like how they are supposed to work... The maps show cache symbols where there are caches, and as you zoom out, those caches will appear to cluster together....

Edited by Too Tall John

TTJ,

I edited the original post. Hopefully this makes more sense.

I do not see ANY cache symbols when I first open the geocaching map(beta). Once I zoom out 4 times, I will see around 4-7 caches on the entire map, when I know there are over 200 caches in the area.

Thanks

I have the same problem. FF 5.0 on Win7 x64.

It seems to have something to do with the graphics driver, too.

Unfortunately this error was already reported in several posts and Groundspeak ignores it. Do they have a support site?

First, do no harm. That means backup files before you tink with them.

If Firefox is fubar’d because you accidentally misconfigured about:config, you can fix it in one of two ways:

Make a backup of your prefs.js file before you start editing. Then, if something goes wrong, you can restore it by copying it over the corrupt file. If you can’t restore via a backup prefs.js file, you can exit Firefox and issue the command firefox -safe-mode to bring up the Firefox Safe Mode screen. Then, just select Reset All User Preferences To Firefox Defaults. Note: This will restore all user preferences to their default values.

Now that you're all backed up, try this...

In the Firefox URL bar type

about:config

Scroll through the configuration settings MAKING NO CHANGES down to the line for

permissions.default.image

It's probably set to a value of 1

Change it to 0 (zero)

Close the window.

Restart Firefox

See if that fixed your problem.

If not, change it back to 1.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The problem is not unique to FireFox. The same problem was just in a post on the Getting Started forum, having the problem with IE8. I'm having the same problem as outlined in my response:

This is a rather weird problem. The reason I say that is because using my MacBook, the caches show just fine (although I get no decrypt button on the cache page). Using my netbook using Chrome, the caches also show on the beta map page. But, using my pc at work, whether I use IE8, Chrome or Firefox, the beta map does not show any caches. When I click back to the old maps, it defaults to Seattle and I have to scroll to my local area. And, even though the caches then show, clicking on them does nothing at all. I've tried everything I could think of to fix it, but have had no luck. Maybe the next "fix" will help.

Adding to that now, I've uninstalled, reinstalled all browsers, and it doesn't solve the problem. Cleared the cache, all cookies, whatever, still doesn't work.