Circle of Four Geocoin

Geocoin Design

Sadly this is a pattern that I've seen too many times in the past 7 or so years. I don't post a lot in here anymore as I really lost my passion for coins a while ago as more and more of these situations occurred. I'm not speaking specifically about this vendor, but many people/vendors over the years.

What I see is people getting very excited about coins after finding/seeing their first coins, spending WAY too much money in a hurry to buy every coin they can get their hands on, then selling them off a year or so later when they need the money to pay for more important things.

I also see people who jump into the selling aspect of coins before they know what they are getting into. It seems like a quick way to make a buck and they don't realize all the work involved. They may make one coin, then stop.

And with vendors, it can be even worse. It seems that the community at large is very quick to have a short-term memory when it comes to reputations and past behavior. People get caught up and in a frenzy because they see a coin they just HAVE to have and everything else goes out the window - cost, whether they can afford it or not, the vendor's practices, etc.

I've seen too many posts over the years to count along the lines of:

"I really shouldn't have spent as much as I did..."

"I don't like pre-sales but I had to have this coin..."

"I was nervous about buying this but really wanted it..."

As with anything, you need to know what you are buying and who you are buying from. Few people would buy from an eBay seller with little to no history and almost nobody would buy from somebody with a bad rating yet people on here don't take the time to do any research on past behavior before plunking money down based on a picture and a promise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to lecture....maybe I'm just reminiscing about the days when this wasn't an issue. Or maybe I'm just posting this as a reminder to really think before you buy.

Caveat emptor - there's a reason that this saying goes back so far.

I'd caution everybody, especially new collectors to really slow down and be wise about what they are doing.

</soapbox>

Please be patient, there are some hold ups at the mint and sometimes Jim's response is a delay because the mints response is delayed. I can assure you they are in production as I am his bff. I don't know the details of how the mint and him do their thing, but I know they are in production and the mint has been paid. I know that for a fact, so people give him so slack and hang in there. Hopefully he will know something soon, but you will not have to learn a lesson the hardway, he always makes good.

And tainted to me includes all the drama that went along with tranquility. There is no drama here, just delays from the mint. Sorry for the second post but in defense of my friend, he will come through, no doubt there. The coin is still just as beautiful as it always was.

Jim himself is the one that should be posting this not you. No news from him is NOT good news...

I agree. I was curious, so I did a quick count of his posts in this thread.

Pre-sales started on August 6th and ended on September 6th. In that time, there were 62 posts from Jim. Since September 6th, there have been 7 posts by him. Over 60 posts until the sale and only 7 since. It really has nothing to do with being patient. It has all to do with him taking everyones money and not providing timely updates. I have e-mailed, posted on facebook, contacted via message here, and have not word. To tell the truth, I dont even want the coins anymore.

Please be patient, there are some hold ups at the mint and sometimes Jim's response is a delay because the mints response is delayed. I can assure you they are in production as I am his bff. I don't know the details of how the mint and him do their thing, but I know they are in production and the mint has been paid. I know that for a fact, so people give him so slack and hang in there. Hopefully he will know something soon, but you will not have to learn a lesson the hardway, he always makes good.

Sorry, not acceptable. He deals with the mint and he deals with the buyers. He's the middle man. They took his money, they should answer to him. He took our money, HE (not his bff) should answer to us...and he hasn't. That's poor business practice and it's RUDE.

And tainted to me includes all the drama that went along with tranquility. There is no drama here, just delays from the mint. Sorry for the second post but in defense of my friend, he will come through, no doubt there. The coin is still just as beautiful as it always was.

I enjoy acquiring coins...every aspect of it. The introduction, the communication, the anticipation, the commradery that I've found here on the forum, buying and trading, and the kindnesses of most of the sellers on the eplace. I enjoy watching ideas flourish into beautiful little treasures that I eventually get to hold in my hand...and sometimes pass on to someone else who wants it even more than I do. That is what has been tainted here.

Its very hard to be patient when there is no word by any means (ie facebook, forums, email, mailing list, etc) for a coin that was due in September. I am an optimist at heart and I believe in second chances which is why I participated in this particular sale even knowing this company's prior history. I'm sad to say that this is turning out to be an example of why I shouldn't do that. :(

I agree. Unlike some of the newer people, I was aware of Jim's history. Not that I was a part of it, but I did read through all the drama from way back when. I like to believe in the good of people. I would have thought that since he HAS such history, he would be doing everything within his power to assure people that the bad history is part of his past. I'm sad to say, his current actions show me that I was wrong.

Edited because I can't spell when I'm angry.

Edited by imoutnabout

i wasn't around when whatever occured with the tranquility coins occured...as far as i know, i've never met jim face to face so we're not bff's. i also ordered a full set of the circle of four coins, so i feel it's fair to put some input into this group of posts.

i certainly can't speak for geocoin design, but as i read through all the posts the last several weeks and try to imagine how i would react if the mint handling my coins had botched the job, i can only guess that i would find it difficult to address this group directly, until i had the coins in hand, for fear of another delay...not saying that's what's going on, but it's got to be depressing for him to have deal with such a mess.

i would like to request mc4some talk to jim, and request he post on the forum...just to let us know the problem is still being worked on. reasonable request?

ILYK

i wasn't around when whatever occured with the tranquility coins occured...as far as i know, i've never met jim face to face so we're not bff's. i also ordered a full set of the circle of four coins, so i feel it's fair to put some input into this group of posts.

i certainly can't speak for geocoin design, but as i read through all the posts the last several weeks and try to imagine how i would react if the mint handling my coins had botched the job, i can only guess that i would find it difficult to address this group directly, until i had the coins in hand, for fear of another delay...not saying that's what's going on, but it's got to be depressing for him to have deal with such a mess.

i would like to request mc4some talk to jim, and request he post on the forum...just to let us know the problem is still being worked on. reasonable request?

ILYK

Well put, with heart and head and should he answer less not throw stones.

Hey folks,

For those of you waiting on Circle of Four, the status is that I have no status from the mint. The mint promised me a shipping date prior to the end of November, however, I have not received shipping data nor have I received any correspondence since verifying my shipping address on Dec 1st.

My hands are pretty much tied until I receive the shipment from the mint (as sad as that sounds). These coins were paid for long ago. In fact, I sent the funds the same day I purchased the tracking numbers from Groundspeak. I am just as annoyed as most of you and these coins will be delivered just as soon as I receive them.

~J

Hey folks,

For those of you waiting on Circle of Four, the status is that I have no status from the mint. The mint promised me a shipping date prior to the end of November, however, I have not received shipping data nor have I received any correspondence since verifying my shipping address on Dec 1st.

My hands are pretty much tied until I receive the shipment from the mint (as sad as that sounds). These coins were paid for long ago. In fact, I sent the funds the same day I purchased the tracking numbers from Groundspeak. I am just as annoyed as most of you and these coins will be delivered just as soon as I receive them.

~J

Thank you for the update.

Hey folks,

~J

Now was that so difficult?! Thank you! :) I appreciate hearing from you, even if it isn't "the coins are on their way". Any news from you lets me know that you know we're still here waiting. You say you're waiting for a shipping date. Have you received any samples or photos that you could share with us?

Hey folks,

~J

Sadly, most of my annoyance is not from the delay at the mint...that kind of stuff happens. Mine stems from your absolute lack of communication to your buyers about what is going on until you are forced to reply. The mint may very well be the reason for the extended delay, but how hard is that for you to share with us on a regular basis? Lack of doing so just creates MAJOR angst and eventual anger. I can't believe you enjoy the fact that a bunch of people are upset with you when it could have been so easily handled if you had just kept us informed. Even if you didn't have any new information to share, posting SOMETHING to let us know you are thinking about your customers would go a long way to making us feel that you cared about us after taking our money.

Edited by steben6

Hey folks,

~J

Thanks for the update.

Wow! I am so glad that I asked the question about pre-sales. No way would I give anyone my money for 4 months. Pre-sales in August, production started in September and here it is December with no word when the coins will ship. Most coins are produced from approved blue prints in 30 days. :ph34r:

Lesson learned about pre-sales from this vendor. Sad, especially at this time of year. :mad:

Hello

Just so you all get an update, Circle of Four was delivered Jan 5. See below.

DeliveryC4.jpg

I am currently sorting through each version and will be shipping as soon as I put orders together. I did not receive photos of the coins from the mint so I will post photos when I can.

They are gorgeous.

Those of you who won Artist Editions (Mamoreb, Azure Sky, Allied Oz, Pingos & KeeWee), they will be shipped separately.

~J

Hello

DeliveryC4.jpg

I am currently sorting through each version and will be shipping as soon as I put orders together. I did not receive photos of the coins from the mint so I will post photos when I can.

They are gorgeous.

Those of you who won Artist Editions (Mamoreb, Azure Sky, Allied Oz, Pingos & KeeWee), they will be shipped separately.

~J

Awesome news! Can't wait to have these gorgeous pieces in hand. Thanks for the update, Jim!

Hello

They are gorgeous.

~J

Good News :D

Has anyone started receiving theirs yet?

I am still waiting to see the promised picture of the coins. :omnomnom:

Yeah, it seems we're still not very high on Jim's priority list. He received them over a week ago, waited 2 days to tell us...and we're still waiting.

These better be drop-dead, take-my-breath-away gorgeous...or all six of mine wll be up for trade...IF I ever get them... :mad:

I am so glad that I verified that this was pre-sales and not reservations. No way I would give any vendor here money before they produce a coin, especially one that has in the past taken money and not delivered coins.

"smoothly into the night"...I think that is where Jim has gone not these coins.

" If you want the coin, get it next week or forever hold your peace." Glad I only had to hold my peace and not my breath waiting for this coin.

Why not return everyone's money and just go smoothly and peacefully, never to be heard from again? You know how to "never to be heard from" now you just need to go!

Pre-sale: $

Reservation: No $

=================

My last presale ran smoothly and this too shall pass smoothly into the night.

Regular edition prices are $12, Sets are $67.

=================

Nobody needs to comment on the 'presale ~ reservation' debate. If you want the coin, get it next week or forever hold your peace :)

@Atwell: Tks

Edited by Atwell Family

Hello

They are gorgeous.

~J

This is told at your webpage:

"Shipping on 'preordered' geocoins will be handled within 24 hours of receipt of the coins to GeocoinDesign. Coins received Monday through Friday will be shipped within 24 hours of receipt. Coins delivered on Saturdays will not be shipped out until the following Monday."

Well, receipt of the coins was 01/05 - the 24 hours are long over. When will we all recieve our coins paied in August? Still no answeres to any e-mails from the users here, still no excuse and no shipping... Thats really sad.

Hello

They are gorgeous.

~J

This is told at your webpage:

"Shipping on 'preordered' geocoins will be handled within 24 hours of receipt of the coins to GeocoinDesign. Coins received Monday through Friday will be shipped within 24 hours of receipt. Coins delivered on Saturdays will not be shipped out until the following Monday."

Well, receipt of the coins was 01/05 - the 24 hours are long over. When will we all recieve our coins paied in August? Still no answeres to any e-mails from the users here, still no excuse and no shipping... Thats really sad.

I think it passed "sad" and went right into criminal. I hate thieves.

Edited to add:

He hasn't disappeared altogether. He last logged into his GeocoinGuy account just this past Wednesday. Does anyone have an idea as to what recourse we have with him?

Edited by imoutnabout