Circle of Four Geocoin

Geocoin Design

Hi folks ~

Wanted to let you all know where we are in the production... I had a hard time explaining some changes to the blueprint back at the mint, but they figured it out. Then I had to wait for the mint to send me the corrected blueprint - that took two weeks. So, what you see below is Worldcaching's unique version - which will be available in the WorldCaching.com webstore only. Also, the blueprints in which our "Name the version" contest winner has selected. As soon as KeeWee approves the color selections, we're making coins!

Enjoy the blueprints!

WORLDCACHING VERSION

Polished Copper w/Epoxy

c4v10bpv6rs.jpg

KeeWee's "Atmospheres" Version

Black Nickel

c4v11bpv6rs.jpg

KeeWee's "Kanterbury" Version

Satin Nickel

c4v12bpv6rs.jpg

Enjoy!

Hi folks ~

Wanted to let you all know where we are in the production... I had a hard time explaining some changes to the blueprint back at the mint, but they figured it out. Then I had to wait for the mint to send me the corrected blueprint - that took two weeks. So, what you see below is Worldcaching's unique version - which will be available in the WorldCaching.com webstore only. Also, the blueprints in which our "Name the version" contest winner has selected. As soon as KeeWee approves the color selections, we're making coins!

Enjoy the blueprints!

WORLDCACHING VERSION

Polished Copper w/Epoxy

c4v10bpv6rs.jpg

KeeWee's "Atmospheres" Version

Black Nickel

c4v11bpv6rs.jpg

KeeWee's "Kanterbury" Version

Satin Nickel

c4v12bpv6rs.jpg

Enjoy!

I APPROVE!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Wow - they look good... no, no - they look FANTASTIC! Thank you very much Jim - for the opportunity to design the color scheme on a geocoin. And thanks for your assistance, and everything! :)

I was wondering the same thing yesterday - especially since it's coming up to 3 months since I paid (I thought the coins would have been ordered within a few days of the presale ending).

If they still aren't ready in the next month or so I might have to change the shipping address for mine too.

I don't do presales myself, because I feel much better about the process knowing that I have the coins in hand before asking for money. That being said, it really has not been that long since the presale ended. Minting coins can include unexpected delays, so I would just say to be patient a while longer.

Yes, but it would be nice to have some update so we don't have to wonder.

The pre-sale happened August 6th. I did not know at the time he didn't even have an approved blueprint from the mint when he took the money. I believe the deadline has passed for a refund from paypal. Isn't it 45 days (?) and we are almost at 90.

I like Jim, but I would never give money to someone with his history.

Edited by MustangJoni

Hi everyone...

No..haven't disappeared.. Life just took over for a bit and I haven't been online. Yes, the coins are still in production. There was a production flaw in one of the dies that had to be fixed, and now that that is done, I am just waiting on the mint to ship them. Tracking numbers have been sent to the mint, the icon is done and has been sent to Groundspeak (which they will have uploaded today).

All who have emailed me about production have been answered the same day, but the forum is just not on my priority list in the grander scheme of things. I fault myself for not paying more attention to what rumors may have flown (and I haven't read up from this post.. just got a phone call requesting a status).

As soon as I get a firm shipment date from the mint, I will share. Those whose shipping costs that have not been calculated during the presale will be calculated when the coins arrive. I went ahead and minted BOTH versions that Keewee designed as a result of the cointest he won. He will be receiving one of each version (Note to Keewee: your SoCal order will be included with that).

The deal with the die was that they missed one of the raised metal compass points (ya know... the N S E W).. well.. South was missing. Not like they could engrave it down like recessed.. they had to cut a new die. Not like I had a choice in the matter - I want the coin perfect.

So, having said that, my email and phone still work, so if anyone has any questions or concerns, do send me an email (info@geocoindesign.com) or call me (541 999 6961) - Same email/phone info as on my website. I would be happy to answer any questions or comments.

~J

All who have emailed me about production have been answered the same day, but the forum is just not on my priority list in the grander scheme of things.

~J

Umm, actually it was 3 days, but I was pleased to hear from you and even more pleased to read this more thorough update.

Still looking forward to holding these. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share an email from the mint when questioned about production:

"Hello JIM,

The production are in processing, as it's peak season currently, all

production lines are occupied and it will a bit time , especially for Circle

of Four , there's many color have to fill in one color by one color .

Estimate ready date will be late Nov. I has put these order in first

priority , will keep eyes on and hurry up, I will keep you update once

there's product photo . Thanks."

As soon as I receive the photos, I will be sharing with all.

Regards,

~J

Sigh...

I emailed him directly on November 17th and got no response. It's pretty close to the end of November now with no updates. I really don't understand why he advertises on the forums to pre-sell the coins and then won't provide updates on the forum. I'm even more frustrated that he didn't respond to a direct email since that is how he said he would prefer contact.

Sigh...

I emailed him directly on November 17th and got no response. It's pretty close to the end of November now with no updates. I really don't understand why he advertises on the forums to pre-sell the coins and then won't provide updates on the forum. I'm even more frustrated that he didn't respond to a direct email since that is how he said he would prefer contact.

Maybe ping him on Facebook or something... probably just offline for the month.

Sigh...

Maybe ping him on Facebook or something... probably just offline for the month.

Sadly, I know, but I don't do Facebook. :wacko:

We ordered two special versions and are waiting for the artwork.

Although it is not finished yet, we got a reply the day before yesterday, so he is still working on it... :rolleyes:

..."still working on it"...? :o

I hope that doesn't mean what it sounds like it means! It's been almost 4 months since the presale. I thought these would be in hand by now.

This is an email I received from Jim on 11/23:

Hi Laura,

The mint has told me the coins will be shipped by the end of the month, but has not yet given me shipping data on them. Another coin I had in production at the same time shipped on Monday, so I'm assuming they will ship to me next week.

Regards,

Jim Collins

Geocoin Design

I haven't heard anything since then.

Learning my lesson about presales...

I emailed Jim early yesterday morning. Haven't heard a word. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm quickly moving from 'frustated' to completely PO'd :mad::angry:

Edited to show proper emoticons to emphasize my feelings right now.

(My phone entry just didn't do it justice.)

Edited by imoutnabout

I emailed Jim early yesterday morning. Haven't heard a word. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm quickly moving from 'frustated' to completely PO'd >:(

I emailed him as well - and tried to contact him via facebook. I sure hope that this doesnt end up being a big lesson learned for me :(

I know I probably won't be taking part in another presale again, and this is exactly why I don't feel happy doing any presales for my own coins.

When I paid I was under the impression the blueprints had been approved and they would be ordered as soon as the presale ended. It's now coming up to 4 months since then (I think well past the time limit for getting money back through paypal) and haven't seen many updates or even sample photos,which I'd have thought he'd at least have by now.

I know I've had some trouble with my most recent coin being made (with the die and then the final order of coins getting lost) so can understand if there is a bit of a delay, but these coins don't seem as complicated to make, and the fact that it was a presale I'd have thought there would have been more updates.

I did send him an email on Nov. 30th asking for an update and that I'd need to change the shipping address, and got quite a quick reply on Dec. 1st.

Since it looks like other people haven't been getting replies I'll paste his reply below.

Hi Christopher,

Yes, the delay has been a challenging one for me. When I conducted the presale, the blueprints had not yet been completed, and then after waiting for KeeWee to approve his blueprints (He won a cointest to color his own version), the mint produced a front die for the coin that had the navigational headings recessed instead of raised metal.

So, the front die had to be remade before any production could happen. The mint promised me shipping prior to the end of this month, but that has not happened yet. I did take delivery of another coin minted through me, and was delivered on Friday. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with the mint right now. I had posted the last communication from the mint to the Geocoin Forum to keep everyone aware of the happenings.

As soon as I get shipping data from the mint, I will advise everyone via the Geocoin Forum and via newsletter. However, please forward your new address to me when you have it (and your move in date), and I will make sure your coins get to you.

Regards,

Jim Collins

Geocoin Design

~GeocoinGuy

When I first looked into becoming a geocoin designer a little over a year ago, I looked into various payment options such as presales, reservations, and keeping stock on hand. I quickly ruled out presales when I saw the animosity that they can generate, because customer satisfaction is the most important thing in any business. I am also a landlord, and I know from experience that when my tenants (customers) are not happy, then I am not happy and I don't sleep very well at night. Since sleep is very important to me, I always try to take the path of greatest customer satisfaction while still being fair to myself.

At this point, I have produced six coins and another is on the way and what I have learned is that delays are unpredictable and to some degree unavoidable. With the production uncertainties inherent in coins, I think that vendors take too large a risk in holding presales. I believe that the best options are either reservations or just buying stock. I started with reservations, but have mostly abandoned the process as too much work.

Perhaps the best argument against presales and reservations is that almost no businesses use these models. If they worked, then other would be doing it.

Getting back to this particular coin, I would guess that the coins will arrive and we will receive them although later than any of us would have liked.

<snip>

Getting back to this particular coin, I would guess that the coins will arrive and we will receive them although later than any of us would have liked.

I hope you're right, but I won't believe it until I have them in hand. Unfortunately, they're already beginning to feel tainted. That's what makes me angry. Even with Jim's history, people took a chance and handed him money based on his word...and there were lots of words from him during that process. Now that he has our money, and we're just looking for our product, he doesn't have time for us? The forums aren't high on his priority list? He can't answer emails? Sorry, but there's no excuse for that. :mad:

<snip>

I won't believe it until I have them in hand. Unfortunately, they're already beginning to feel tainted. :mad:

The interesting thing is that tainted items have a habit of becoming more desirable. Look at the Tranquility coins, there was much anger around them, but they sell for hundreds of dollars. Look at The Hope Diamond, it is supposedly cursed, but that is part of the reason that it is priceless.

Edited by GregsonVaux

<snip>

I hope you're right, but I won't believe it until I have them in hand. Unfortunately, they're already beginning to feel tainted. That's what makes me angry. Even with Jim's history, people took a chance and handed him money based on his word...and there were lots of words from him during that process. Now that he has our money, and we're just looking for our product, he doesn't have time for us? The forums aren't high on his priority list? He can't answer emails? Sorry, but there's no excuse for that. :mad:

+1 - you must have been reading my mind! :)

No surprise here. Just look at the vendor feedback thread pinned at the top of the forum. It's the same story every time. I'm still waiting for my full set of Caroussel horses, and that was not even e presale, but a trade (converted to a big one way present from me to them). And the point about tainted coins is very valid, at least to me. I associate coins with a lot of things, not in the least with the contact I have had with the people who produced or designed them, or traded/gifted/sold them to me. Some really nice coins I now consider very ugly, and some other maybe a bit 'plain' coins now look very pretty to me.

By the way, most presales work like a charm. Again, look at the vendor history. if a vendor has done presale flawlessly 10 times, chances are the 11th time will work fine too.

Edited by kdv

When considering buying a pre-sale, I generally look at what the seller has done in the past, and with this coin to decide if I'm willing to take the risk.

Here is my pre-sale criteria:

1. Seller's reputation. Have they done pre-sales before? Where there problems? Generally, if the answer to the last question is yes, I will wait until the coin is in stock to buy it, if it is one I have to have.

2. Is the seller showing you art work, mint art or samples? If the seller is only showing you their art work, they might not have even contacted a minting company yet. If they are showing you mint art, then they at least have that and and cost estimate. If they have samples then they have made at least a $200 investment in the project. Generally, if they aren't showing me samples, they have nothing invested in the coin.

3. Do they give you an expected date of shipment? I know problems can arise, but they really should have some idea when the coins will ship. n They should also give you a revised ship date when problems arise.

4. Do they sell in the forum and then disappear? I know many vendors have email lists, but if they are going to sell here, they should also update here.

These coin may well be on their way from China, but every time there has been a pre-sale issue, it has started like this. They always start with mint delays. Then people have a hard time contacting the vendor. At least Jim has in the past lived up to his commitment, but last time it was about 6 months, and much drama. I wish him the best of luck, but since this coin didn't fit any of my above criteria, I didn't buy it.

You are right about "taint" on coins. I don't own a tranquility coins, and wouldn't have one if it was given to me. Every time I see one, I just roll my eyes.

Edited by MustangJoni

The advice from MustangJoni is great. I certainly wish I had been aware of this vendor's history before I bought and paid for this pre-sale; otherwise I would not have taken the risk. I have had several really positive experiences with pre-sales, but I will never buy from this vendor again. His history his horrible (wish I had known but I wasn't around back then), and I think it is unconsionable that he takes advantage of marketing and selling his product with massive posts on the forum and then refuses to provide any updates in the same way. He has had our money since August, well past the time to file a paypal dispute (does this sound familiar?). His original post said the coins would be available in September and now we sit in the middle of December with no coins, no updates, no communication, and no hope of any redress. I have emailed him directly three times and received no reply.

I don't care how gorgeous a coin is, this kind of behavior does, indeed, taint the coin for me. I wouldn't own a Tranquility coin if I was gifted one, and, if I ever get these coins, I'm not sure what I will do with them. They sure aren't pretty any more.

Sorry for the rant and I am generally not one to slam a fellow coiner in public; 99% of the people who post to the geocoin forum are marvelous people. Sadly, this one falls in the other 1%. I am boiling mad and feel helpless that nothing can be done, but you will not fool me again. And shame on you for fooling others as you have done before. I guess, since you got away with it once, you tried again and it worked with new people who weren't aware. Shame on you.

Please be patient, there are some hold ups at the mint and sometimes Jim's response is a delay because the mints response is delayed. I can assure you they are in production as I am his bff. I don't know the details of how the mint and him do their thing, but I know they are in production and the mint has been paid. I know that for a fact, so people give him so slack and hang in there. Hopefully he will know something soon, but you will not have to learn a lesson the hardway, he always makes good.

And you forgot to mention that his keyboard is broken?

And tainted to me includes all the drama that went along with tranquility. There is no drama here, just delays from the mint. Sorry for the second post but in defense of my friend, he will come through, no doubt there. The coin is still just as beautiful as it always was.

Please be patient, there are some hold ups at the mint and sometimes Jim's response is a delay because the mints response is delayed. I can assure you they are in production as I am his bff. I don't know the details of how the mint and him do their thing, but I know they are in production and the mint has been paid. I know that for a fact, so people give him so slack and hang in there. Hopefully he will know something soon, but you will not have to learn a lesson the hardway, he always makes good.

And tainted to me includes all the drama that went along with tranquility. There is no drama here, just delays from the mint. Sorry for the second post but in defense of my friend, he will come through, no doubt there. The coin is still just as beautiful as it always was.

Jim himself is the one that should be posting this not you. No news from him is NOT good news...

Its very hard to be patient when there is no word by any means (ie facebook, forums, email, mailing list, etc) for a coin that was due in September. I am an optimist at heart and I believe in second chances which is why I participated in this particular sale even knowing this company's prior history. I'm sad to say that this is turning out to be an example of why I shouldn't do that. :(

Edited by scificollector