e-mail members before changes are made

John & Lynn

I know that the technology exists to automatically e-mail members of proposed changes before they are made to get their input. As an example, an automatic e-mail to all members before the recent changes to the cache page with a response choice, i.e., FOR or AGAINST. Then wait a week or so to poll the responses, then either make the change or don't based on the responses. I think members would then feel that they 'had a hand' in the decision to make the change or not.

I dont think the majority of the people, including myself, can comprehend all the technical details as to why some changes are made here.

If you look throught the threads, a lot of the changes that take place took place because users voiced their opinion on a feture that they thought would make the site better.

Other changes are made to reduce server load, disk space or other issues we may not even know exist.

I'd rather they monitor what we say here and take our suggestions into consideration. I can visualize them getting 5000 replies to an email poll asking for further clarification or to have another option added to the poll.

If you light a man a fire, he will be warm for a day; if you light a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

quote:
Originally posted by John & Lynn:

I know that the technology exists to automatically e-mail members of proposed changes before they are made to get their input.

Sure. Then I'd never have time to actually make changes or improvements of any kind. I'd be too busy arguing the benefits of this or that.

From previous history, we have the technology to change things back (or coming to some kind of middle ground). Unless making a change has caused some permanent damage to your psyche, I don't see the issue in discussing it after the fact.

As for the current issue with CPU speed and the reasons outlined as to why the pages are no longer updated every time you view a page, there's no getting around this, regardless whether you see any difference. I can tell you for a fact that our machines are breathing easier now.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location