Geocaching.com IRC

Sorry to be so dense, but what is IRC? I may be old(er) but try to learn something new each day...

Internet Relay Chat. I'm sure its been at least 10 years, probably more, since I've even heard of it. It was an early messaging protocol.

I thought that died away largely due to security concerns. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Having a chat room of some sort may be interesting.

although not all are active at the moment

Which is a common thing on IRC. Idling. I'm "playing" an idling RPG on some network. So far I've accumulated 670 days, 23:38:55 of idling time. I got 1 day, 11:49:26 left until I'm a level 68 noob.

Edited by dfx

Which is a common thing on IRC. Idling. I'm "playing" an idling RPG on some network. So far I've accumulated 670 days, 23:38:55 of idling time. I got 1 day, 11:49:26 left until I'm a level 68 noob.

So is that why the penguin is shaking so much? :lol:

So is that why the penguin is shaking so much? :lol:

You mean this one? :P

penguin12.gif

IRC is still heavily relied upon in the world of emergency communications. As a storm spotter I use the Pidgin client to chat with the National Weather Service, other ham operators, the media and various Emergency Management Agency Emergency Operations Centers anytime there is a chance of severe weather in our coverage area (most of Alabama).

I'm not as active in Clayjar's chat room as I once was but still enjoy it from time to time. It's a much friendlier place than these forums but it real-time, so unlike the forums you have to be there to hold or follow a conversation.

Is that Clayjar's chat?

Yes and looks like there are currently 28 people in the chat.

That's the problem with IRC. It's only useful if there are people willing to be active in the channel. The Clayjar channel is supposed to be scheduled for a certain time each week. In the last 6 years I have never managed to find anyone actually talking in there.

So I don't see the point in Groundspeak setting up an IRC channel. They don't even have 24/7 presence in the forums.

Use tools for their purpose. Want to carry on asynchronous extended discussion? Use a forum.

Want to carry on live real-time conversations? Use chat. Simple, really.

Chat rooms usually require schedules, or a common reason for folks to go there at the same time. Like the one we use for severe weather... In good weather they are empty. In bad they fill up.

In Clayjar's chat they used to have launch parties when a shuttle went up. For the last couple of years that's mostly when I went in there.

A geocaching IRC room would do fine if chats were scheduled. Just going there and hoping to find folks to chat with, not so much.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Use tools for their purpose. Want to carry on asynchronous extended discussion? Use a forum.

Want to carry on live real-time conversations? Use chat. Simple, really.

Chat rooms usually require schedules, or a common reason for folks to go there at the same time. Like the one we use for severe weather... In good weather they are empty. In bad they fill up.

In Clayjar's chat they used to have launch parties when a shuttle went up. For the last couple of years that's mostly when I went in there.

A geocaching IRC room would do fine if chats were scheduled. Just going there and hoping to find folks to chat with, not so much.

I chatted in ClayJar's IRC for nearly 3 months for about an hour a week. Always someone on, it's mostly the same 8 - 10 people. I wouldn't suggest staying their very long, people their are the utmost puritan a puritan can be. And god forbid you mention something against their ideals.

Edited by Coldgears

It really depends on the channel and the reason people go there.

A game I played a few years ago had an active 24/7 IRC channel. But part of the agreement of being a mod in the game was that you had to spend a certain amount of time in the IRC channel so there was always support staff in there.

Several phone hacking channels I frequent are mostly active 24/7. Half the time it is just other users in there helping fellow users out. But there are a lot of people seeking the information.

The weather channel you mention is active when it needs to be and not so much when not needed.

But for something like geocaching, I think most are going to be more comfortable with the forums since you can post your question or topic and then go work or play and come back later and check on it.

In the early days I was an IRC addict. But for the most part I have become much more comfortable with forums. I just tend to be busy now and I like being able to communicate when I have time rather than having to make time to communicate.

Looks like you're in the wrong decade. IRC isn't too popular anymore.

Ahh grashopper...

Uh huh

I wouldn't suggest staying their very long, people their are the utmost puritan a puritan can be. And god forbid you mention something against their ideals.

It didn't seem that bad to me. You make it sound like someone who stays there too long will end up offended or traumatized.

I spent three hours on it last night. All but two of us left so we chatted together, learned a lot about GPSr and decided which one I am buying. This puritan thing is a load of crap, if you don't agree with someone you don't have to be a jerk about it. If someone is being a jerk don't fight back. Don't feed the trolls.

I wouldn't suggest staying their very long, people their are the utmost puritan a puritan can be. And god forbid you mention something against their ideals.

It didn't seem that bad to me. You make it sound like someone who stays there too long will end up offended or traumatized.

Consider the source. Not as far out as ashnikes or some others, but he does tend to make some offensive posts that then put him on the defensive. Don't know about traumatized though, that sounds a bit overly dramatic.

Back in the days before there were lots of local/regional groups and FB that chat room was pretty active on Monday nights. Much like Cheers, you kinda knew everyone who was there and they knew your name. That was back before we had over 1 million caches too. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy