Yes, I am a 17 year old geocaher.

Hunter275

**EDIT** I am not trying to scream out that I am seventeen **EDIT**

I am a 17 year old geocacher and I have wanted to geocache since I was 15 but couldn't because I had no license to drive. So now that I am able to drive I have started geocaching. I love the idea of hidden treasure and being part of a group of people. If you want to follow my adventures feel free to look at my blog that I have started.

Hunter's Geo Caching Blog

I updated it with every find (two so far...) that I make.

Edited by Hunter275

Then everything is good and you're thinking like a pro. Welcome to the machine. Oh, BTW, Black Sabbeth is awesome. My favorite group. I've been to a lot of their old concwerts.

Where did you see that I liked Black Sabbath? I play the drums and I love to play their stuff.

Then everything is good and you're thinking like a pro. Welcome to the machine. Oh, BTW, Black Sabbeth is awesome. My favorite group. I've been to a lot of their old concwerts.

Where did you see that I liked Black Sabbath? I play the drums and I love to play their stuff.

'Favorite Music

Black SabbathACDCDaft PunkJusticeRUSHa lot of music.'

No Mitch isn't a muggle,and I try and take the pics of the finds facing away from the hiding spot and I try to avoid having too much landscape in the picture.

Excellent. Another word of advice. If the container is custom made or has some cleaver camo, it is generally bad form to show a picture of the container. Okay, two words. If you happen to take pictures of travel bugs or geocoins, make sure the tracking number does not show or is Photoshopped to obscure the number. But have fun and welcome to the game. Man, what a pick up line, "Hey, you wanta go geocaching?" :blink:

Hi Hunter--

Your blog mentions taking and leaving "coins". Are these trackable coins? I ask, because you haven't logged any trackables. If you haven't read up on trackables yet, you need to do that before you take/leave any more coins so that you know how to log them, if they are trackables.

And welcome to geocaching.

Hi Hunter--

Your blog mentions taking and leaving "coins". Are these trackable coins? I ask, because you haven't logged any trackables. If you haven't read up on trackables yet, you need to do that before you take/leave any more coins so that you know how to log them, if they are trackables.

And welcome to geocaching.

The coin that I took wan't trackable it was just a coin with a name, and the coin that I left was actually a money coin.

Edited by Hunter275

Welcome Hunter! Great name for a geocacher. With gas the price it is, you may want to get as many caches as you can around your parking area...we found that stop and go was fine for our legs, but harder on the wallet. You're younger, and I'm sure fitter than I am, but part of my geocaching experience is getting some much needed exercise.

Going to check your blog now - I have to look into that, and perhaps having one myself.

edit to add: I see you are using an app that isn't authorized by Groundspeak. You may want to try their free version, or the paid version is $10, I believe. Premium membership may or may not be required - I am not sure. Definitely something to consider if you are in geocaching for a long time though. Happy Caching!

Edited by popokiiti
edit to add: I see you are using an app that isn't authorized by Groundspeak. You may want to try their free version, or the paid version is $10, I believe. Premium membership may or may not be required - I am not sure. Definitely something to consider if you are in geocaching for a long time though. Happy Caching!

iconfacepalmg.gif

iconfacepalmg.gif

Why the face palm. I am just using this c:geo because I am using Droid and there is no Free Version of the Groundspeak app, I didn't want to spend any money before I knew if I would like it or not.

Hunter, don't worry about popokiiti. If you read the tech forums here, you'll see a big brouhaha over c:geo vs. the official GS app. I got back into caching after a 5 year hiatus, partially due to the c:geo app. It allowed me to do paperless caching, which is huge for me. After reading through all the hoopla, I ultimately decided to pop for the official app. $10 is a lot to spend for an app that had gotten mixed reviews. I loved how easy c:geo was to use. Having had the GS app for 2-3 weeks (and uninstalling c:geo), I like the GS app.

One thing I did learn through reading the thread is that c:geo basically won't be current, possibly sometime soon because the developer & GS won't play ball with each other. That's a bit of an oversimplification but I'm no tecchie & that's what I took away from the thread. It was partially the reason I went ahead & popped for the official app (that and the fact that while $10 is a lot for an app, it's a small price to pay for something I like to do).

Just something to think about.

Welcome to the game and above all, have FUN! :-)

Hunter, don't worry about popokiiti. If you read the tech forums here, you'll see a big brouhaha over c:geo vs. the official GS app. I got back into caching after a 5 year hiatus, partially due to the c:geo app. It allowed me to do paperless caching, which is huge for me. After reading through all the hoopla, I ultimately decided to pop for the official app. $10 is a lot to spend for an app that had gotten mixed reviews. I loved how easy c:geo was to use. Having had the GS app for 2-3 weeks (and uninstalling c:geo), I like the GS app.

One thing I did learn through reading the thread is that c:geo basically won't be current, possibly sometime soon because the developer & GS won't play ball with each other. That's a bit of an oversimplification but I'm no tecchie & that's what I took away from the thread. It was partially the reason I went ahead & popped for the official app (that and the fact that while $10 is a lot for an app, it's a small price to pay for something I like to do).

Actually the developer picked up his ball and went home. GS was willing to give him access to the API and he refused. As for the use of the application, I predict at the next major site update to introduce the API you will find that your application will be broken. The question is will someone fix it and if they do will you be allowed to continue to use it.

Actually the developer picked up his ball and went home. GS was willing to give him access to the API and he refused. As for the use of the application, I predict at the next major site update to introduce the API you will find that your application will be broken. The question is will someone fix it and if they do will you be allowed to continue to use it.

Actually someone has already picked it up. It's now Open Source.

Edited by Hunter275

Thanks for the clarification jholly. It's sad that he wouldn't work with GS. c:geo was a nice little app.

Again like I said it's still being updated by another group, it has gone open source too!

It might be updated, but will it be updated to use the API? I suspect that GS will get a bit more testy about the use of the app that violates their TOS in the future and those using the app may well feel the wrath of the frog. I don't see GS ignoring the app after the API is released.

welcome!

I just got my 50th I think... I need to log it...

I'm using a palm pre to geocache with & we actually stopped for a while cause the app was horribble... They did alot of updates in 2 years I was gone!

almost time for a new phone... Somekind of a droid I'm sure... But I'd like to get a GPSr too

well good luck finding many caches!

sean

Geobeagle functions well for the droid. I just use my browser, go to the home page at geocahing.com, click the "find my location link and chase the closest link that comes up by clicking the google maps link. It pops up a menu that asks if I want to open it with google or geobeagle. I choose geobeagle and go hunting. Once I find the cache (or not) I use the same method for my next cache. If I can stop buying geocoins and cache goodies I may spring for the 'official' app. lol.

Geobeagle functions well for the droid. I just use my browser, go to the home page at geocahing.com, click the "find my location link and chase the closest link that comes up by clicking the google maps link. It pops up a menu that asks if I want to open it with google or geobeagle. I choose geobeagle and go hunting. Once I find the cache (or not) I use the same method for my next cache. If I can stop buying geocoins and cache goodies I may spring for the 'official' app. lol.

Or spring for a premium membership and get PQ's :)