Being Stealthy Around Muggles...

msoregon91

I've read a lot of cache descriptions & posts warning how we must be stealthy when retrieving the cache around muggles & I just don't know why. After all, it is a game, and if someone should observe & become interested, all the better, right?

Though I realize that our behavior (walking in circles, muttering to ourselves, :rolleyes: , etc) probably makes us look bizarre (to say the least), to those that happen to care to notice, I still don't see the need to be overly discreet. In fact, I think that hovering in an area, waiting for the right moment of solitude to grab & sign, might attract more attention than being quick & moving on.

I know that we don't want the caches moved, vandalized or thrown away. Other than that, is there any reason to be so secretive & to warn other cachers to be stealthy?

Just wondering if I'm missing something...

I've read a lot of cache descriptions & posts warning how we must be stealthy when retrieving the cache around muggles & I just don't know why. After all, it is a game, and if someone should observe & become interested, all the better, right?

Though I realize that our behavior (walking in circles, muttering to ourselves, :rolleyes: , etc) probably makes us look bizarre (to say the least), to those that happen to care to notice, I still don't see the need to be overly discreet. In fact, I think that hovering in an area, waiting for the right moment of solitude to grab & sign, might attract more attention than being quick & moving on.

I know that we don't want the caches moved, vandalized or thrown away. Other than that, is there any reason to be so secretive & to warn other cachers to be stealthy?

Just wondering if I'm missing something...

I believe it's largely to protect the cache, as a curious non-cacher seeing what you do may take or damage the cache, and in part to protect you, to avoid suspicion or anger over your behavior.

I think the stealth warning does not apply to everyone. People who are older and responsible young folks who do not pose a threat of trashing the cache are usually included in my list of people I let see what I am doing. Often they are curious and I explain how the game works. Several people have been "recruited" if you will into the sport by this method. Even with that said however, I try never to reveal the exact location of the cache.

Rule of thumb; use common sense, good judgment, and reasonable action.

:ph34r:

That's pretty much it. It's a judgement call whether the people who see you are likely to be ones who'd be into vandalizing, etc. Or into calling the police and reporting your suspicious activity; but that's more likely to happen if you are acting stealthy and secretive.

I must admit there have been a few times I've all but given up on being overly stealthy (it can be hard to look stealthy while trying not to trample through plants :ph34r: ). I think I will be adopting the idea of "rule of thumb", would make grabbing some caches a little easier!(also means I might not have to creep through bushes in the rain and dark! :laughing: :laughing: )

I must admit there have been a few times I've all but given up on being overly stealthy (it can be hard to look stealthy while trying not to trample through plants :ph34r: ). I think I will be adopting the idea of "rule of thumb", would make grabbing some caches a little easier!(also means I might not have to creep through bushes in the rain and dark! :laughing: :laughing: )

You'll find, in time, that most people are not concerned about what you're up to while looking for the cache. They're too involved with their own lives to wonder or worry about what you're doing. It doesn't register most of the time. Get in and get out, that's my rule of thumb.

Being stealthy and acting stealthy are really two different things. Many confuse the two concepts, simply because they over-think what they are attempting to do in "being" stealthy.

One allows you to go about your business w/o attracting much, if any attention. The other SCREAMS "watch me", 'cuz I'm up to something.

More often than not, looking as you know what you are doing and going about it with intent is the best form of stealth.

How to react to Muggles depends on a variety of conditions, such as where you are, what type of background the Muggle seems to come from, and how the Muggle might perceive you. Each of these factors affect the other two, so being able to identify all three of them and use them to make a decision is important.

Many cachers believe that it is the entire activity of geocaching, and not merely the act of retrieving or replacing a cache which must be concealed. Every participant enjoys a different aspect of the game, and for some, “acting stealthy” and hiding the activity from Muggles is the part they enjoy the most. However, that happens to be a minority of cachers.

The reason Muggles must be avoided is that, if they discover the location of a cache, they may attempt to remove or destroy the cache after the cacher leaves. However, that doesn’t mean the entire game of geocaching needs to be hidden from them. It’s only the act of retrieving the cache after you’ve found it, and replacing it after you sign the logbook, that Muggles shouldn’t see. And even then, you don’t have to work too hard to hide it from them.

Plenty of members of these forums will tell you about their elaborate disguises and fabricated tales which they use to deceive Muggles. While fun to use, these disguises and fabrications are unnecessary in most circumstances. Avoiding Muggles is easy. People are fairly unobservant. While searching for the cache, just go about searching for the cache as you normally would, and no one will care what you are doing. Many people feel uncomfortable crawling under benches and picnic tables and digging through bushes, thinking that everyone in the park must be watching them wondering what they are doing. The truth is, there’s actually no one watching them, and no one has even noticed they’re there. What does make people wonder what you’re doing is if you’re constantly looking around to see if people are watching you, then stopping what you’re doing and trying to act natural (you’re not fooling anyone, by the way) if you see them looking at you.

As the world's least stealthy geocacher, I've had to instruct two police officers in my town about the game. Apparently a 43 year old with a 19 and 10 year old wandering around parking lots appear to be up to no good!

Yup! Being a big guy and poking around in the bushes has it's drawbacks. I've taken to wearing my Geocaching.com tee shirt when caching in muggle areas now. Yesterday a bicycle cop entered the path where I was hunting for caches. He looked over his shoulder at me and spun around. Must have had some experience with cachers because he smiled when he got closer and just kept going. If I feel out of place, I will pointedly look at my GPS and continue.

I am usually pretty weary of muggles nearby. Once I hid behind a giant rock that had a cache and waited for the people to pass. It was kind of amusing as I felt like a kid :D Sometimes I get a mini adrenaline rush since I'm trying to be secretive.

I have seen that most people don't care what you're up to, even if it does seem a bit suspicious. On one occasion I had people sitting in their car at a red light glancing in my direction as I snooped through bushes, but they minded their own business soon thereafter.