Off-Topic, kinda..

foxtrot_xray

Have a question for those of you that like to hang out in Arizona -

Apparently, a friend an I will be doing another ghost town/mine photography tour in early September. He wants to stop at the Grand Canyon since he's never been there. Can anyone recommend places along it to go - that are *NOT* overrun by tourists?

During the trip, as well as photographing structures that are succumbing to gravity, I will be benchmark hunting, so.. there, see, on-topic. :)

Mike, if you head south out of Fredonia, AZ on 89A there are a couple of old marks we just can't seem to locate that are along the old highway to the Grand Canyon. (I'll need to look up the PIDS) There is 1 old bridge that we had posted a picture of in another thread about J 52 that you may enjoy a quick Photo stop. I'll see what pictures I can find to post here. There are also some old lookout trees near the North Rim and we have coordinates for them if interested.

John

While I agree with 2of that the North Rim has definite plusses over the South Rim, it is a long way around to it if you don't have other things you want to do on the north side. In September, with kids back in school, the South Rim won't be quite as overrun as it is during the summer, and if you plan to get there first thing in the morning you can see whatever sights interest you without feeling the crowds too much.

While I agree with 2of that the North Rim has definite plusses over the South Rim, it is a long way around to it if you don't have other things you want to do on the north side. In September, with kids back in school, the South Rim won't be quite as overrun as it is during the summer, and if you plan to get there first thing in the morning you can see whatever sights interest you without feeling the crowds too much.

We were at the North Rim last September, but we flew in to Las Vegas and drove to Jacob's Lake. If you start in Arizona, it would be quite a detour to get to the North Rim. Having said that, we enjoyed it, and had the same experience we've had at many other heavily-visited national parks -- once you get out of the parking lots and onto the trails, you can be virtually alone. We spent two days dayhiking the north rim and probably encountered no more than a dozen people all day, once we got 100 feet away from the parking lots.

If you decide to come in from Fredonia and take 89A to the North rim, here are the benchmarks we did not find. GQ0043 - H 12 GQ0042 - H 52 GQ0041 - H 13

Here are 2 that we did find and they may help with the mileage listed in the description. GQ0064 - H 11 GQ0040 - G 52

Here's a couple of pictures to perk your interest.

8%27%20log%20and%20me.jpg

More%20glyphs%20adjusted.jpg

Details can be found here our homepage.