Countdown to the Geolympix!

Whats the details fot he most cunning cache container competition?

We've been putting out a couple of cunning caches recently.

Also how do we get our hands on a geolympix coin?

There will be a table (with someone keeping an eye on it*) for folks to show off their cunning/funny/whatever caching containers, along with a container for visitors to drop a paper token (one per visiting cacher, printed on the info page every attendee will receive. Events time table, floor plan; that sort of thing) into, to vote for their favourite. The winner wins a thing :)

The thing might be a Geolympix Geocoin. These can be pre-purchased (stock due early June. Exact date TBC) via the link on the opening page of the Geolympix web site. It's the best link to use as it puts a subject line on the email to us, which helps us keep track of what's what.

*The Geolympix team cannot be held responsible for any loss or damages etc etc, but we'll do our best to keep your cache/s safe.

You can have a look now at the geocoins for the Geolympix.

http://www.geolympix.com/geolympix-sample.gif

Is it really trackable at GEOCACHINC.COM ?
Nope. These are sample coins, not the production version, and that error on their part is expected to be fixed, fortunately :)

We did think of buying Geocachinc.com and putting an 'Easter Egg' feature up there for the eagle-eyed though :laughing:

Just 24 days to go!

Quite apart from going Mega, we've lots of Geolympix news.

1.2 miles south of the main event, starting at 6.45pm we have our CITO meet: GC3P05Y - Geolympix 2012 CITO - Giving Something Back. The ideal way to finish a busy day finding 11 cache types/icons in under 11 hours, perhaps? B)

The final Geolympix satellite events are poised to go live, but in the meantime the following have also been added to the programme:

5 miles north of the main event, GC3MKQ0 - A Not So BAD Geolympix Event by JollyJax from 7pm on Tuesday 24th July.

20 miles east of the main event, GC3N810 - Geolympix Mega 2012 - The Closing Ceremony by Team Hippo from 7pm on Wednesday 25th July, close to England's oldest remaining cache (and the UK's second oldest)

Almost! 50 miles east of the main event,GC3P2KY - The Mega Geolympix Hand-over Ceremony, London by goldpot from 5pm on Thursday 26th of July. It's the day the Olympic torch arrives in London and the day before the games open.

Other news:

Huge thanks to the cachers in and around Exeter who raised £223.50 to help fun the event at the final roadshow event, Countdown to the Geolympix #1 - Exeter earlier this month. Great to see so many from the wild west plan to attend their closest Mega since Weston-Super-Mare in 2009 too.

The Cache of Dreams is filling up nicely (four Hard Disc Drives from drsolly collected last night) but we'd like to really make it something special to give away at the Geolympix, so we're asking everyone attending to bring some cache-friendly swag to drop into it. One lucky attendee with take the whole lot away with them!

Do you have a cunning or cool cache? We're having a competition to find the best. Please bring yours along for the display table and the one which gets the most votes by visitors will win its owner something nice.

We've a great collection of stuff for the raffle - including a Garmin Etrex 30 with extra kit and two Chirps, no less, plus a lot of other excellent prizes - but can always use more. If you can bring something nice with you on the day to be given away as a raffle prize, that would be really wonderful of you.

If you're planning to help at the Geolympix, you've got your own fast-track registration desk. Stewards etc will have different coloured badges too, to help visitors identify them. Thanks again for your offer of help - it makes the Geolympix possible.

The final contents of the Geolympix Champions' Packs has been decided and details - and confirmed prices - will be released soon. We just need a better ETA from our T-shirt printer.

Lots of goodies for the raffle have been collected from Dorsetgal as she was promoting the event in her area and has received a lot of donations. Log caches, ammo cans, camo bags... the list goes on!

We've confirmed attendance by a couple of reviewers but we'd like to see more of you, 'on duty' or not. Chris/MrB/Graculus has also kindly agreed to host a Reviewer Q&A session on the court room and is ready to be cross examined. He's also giving a talk on paperless caching.

Things are looking good for the Marathon series; locations have been researched and quality containers obtained. It's a little way from Oxford but in a very special area we felt deserved the five ring route. Lots of hills, but lots of pubs along the way too :)

Loads more stuff going on (did I mention the Nordic Geolf, Marble Vs. Micro game, pathtag swap zone, on-site Geodog Hotel - now with music - or that UK Cache Mag now has a stand?) so please keep an eye on the event page, website, Facebook or Twitter for updates and info.

The Geolympix - Be Outstanding in the Field!

Be nice. There will be someone on the door checking for rotten veggies; no missiles will be thrown! ;)

Seriously, the Geolympix team are very grateful to the Reviewers who've agreed to help explain the review process and how they're the squeezed portion of meat in a Cacher and Groundspeak sandwich. I'm sure everyone who attends the session will get a fresh insight into the difficult job they do. For free.

For an arguement, stick around for the GeoDebates we have planned between talks which under-run :D

Suggestions for good topics are very welcome, although I could just look through the forum for some good rows... :ph34r:

I see that the marathon is mentioned as a "little way from Oxford". I'm not trying to get a jump on FTFs but would like to know roughly which direction from Oxford the series will be. The reason for asking is that on the day time will be tight and I will be coming from the Gloucestershire area. If it is someway to the east of Oxford, this will mean an even earlier start than anticipated but if it is to the west I could have a lie in (until about 5am)!!

Sorry Colin, it's to the south east(ish.) Andy/LotC doesn't want too much given away at this stage. He'll be making a big announcement before long. Sarah/Haforn is hosting the evening pub event for weary walkers from 6pm on Monday 23rd. Expect a 6am start if you're planning to do the full 5-ring, 26.2 mile/42.2Km series.

Sorry Colin, it's to the south east(ish.) Andy/LotC doesn't want too much given away at this stage. He'll be making a big announcement before long. Sarah/Haforn is hosting the evening pub event for weary walkers from 6pm on Monday 23rd. Expect a 6am start if you're planning to do the full 5-ring, 26.2 mile/42.2Km series.

Thanks Paul.

The 'south east(ish)' bit is all I need to know for time planning purposes.

Getting quite excited about coming to the Geolympics (my first Mega) and I'm going to be having a go at the 11 icons...

However, a bit like a previous poster, I'm looking to do some planning and was wondering, what sort of time(s) I should try to be at (remain at) the mega location itself for important things happening and registering.

What's the earliest/latest that I can sign the log in order for the icon to count? You know what it's like, when you're out caching. "Just one more cache..." and I'd be really disappointed if I missed something fab - or logging the Mega itself!

The Mega schedule runs something like this (full details in the show guide being prepared now, and being uploaded to the website and event page shortly):

9.00 Oxford Town Hall opens for the Geolympix Team, Volunteers and Exhibitors to set-up.

10.00 Public doors open with registration desks fully staffed - there's a fast-track desk for volunteers, guests-of-honour, team members and stewards too, to help speed-up getting them inside to help.

10.30 Welcome speech, prizes for our Pre-Reg and Will Attend log winners, etc.

10.45 Various talks and debates in the Court Room (exit the main hall and turn left) begin and run pretty much all day.

12.00 Release of the FTF cache details for our FTFrenzy

3.15 Announcements of raffle, Cache of Dreams and various game winners, thank-yous and goodbyes (or rather, see you at the CITO event 11-in-11ers speech)

4.00 Event officially closes and the logbook collected.

5.00 We have to be out of the building, having cleared it, so we hope volunteers will still be helping.

So, technically you'd want to arrive before 4pm to sign in, but the later you arrive, the more you miss! The logbook would still be on site until 5pm but your reason for arriving so late had better be impressive before it's handed over. Police paperwork detailing your arrest; something of that sort :P

Thanks Paul.

The 'south east(ish)' bit is all I need to know for time planning purposes.

Happy to help Colin. We've gone public with more exact info, with the publishing of haforn's Geolympix 2012 - Post-Marathon Pub Event GC3PMN5. The Marathon series is 'in the area', which if you know it, is really lovely. So much so that Little Britain, Goodnight Mister Tom, The Vicar of Dibley and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang were filmed there, as was Went The Day Well and a myriad other films and TV programmes. It's pretty amazing there wasn't a walking series in the area already really. It's quite hilly, but there are a good selection of pubs around the route to help motivate visitors up hills :)
Wherebouts is the pub quiz event?
I'm glad you asked. You're not my sock-puppet account come-alive like a story in an Amicus portmanteau film, are you? :)

Released earlier today, my Pub Quiz event is on Friday the 20th, in the function room upstairs at The Mitre (seats 80) on Oxford High Street, just around the corner from The Town Hall, home to the Geolympix Mega itself. The pub is a Beefeater Grill too, so good food is available. Starting at 7pm, the quiz kicks off at 8pm and you can play to win goodies (£1 per person, to help pay for the Geolympix) or just join in for fun, for free. See GC3PKE4 for more details. It'd be great to start the Geolympix programme in style so please come along!

What day will the Marathon series 'go live', is it before or after the main event?
That one's beyond my control, but I've asked for everything not planned to go live on the day (eg the FTFrenzy caches in/around Oxford) to be published by the 14th, so people can pick them up on their PQs without any problems. I know LotC will want his big reveal, after all his and haforn's hard work on putting a monster series together, so keep your eye on the Geolympix Facebook Group as well as here, as he posts there quite a bit.
What day will the Marathon series 'go live', is it before or after the main event?
I heard today it'll be on Monday the 16th. A little later than I'd hoped, but still lots of time for PQ running.

Wonky Donkey, I think it's over 8 going live in Oxford at noon as part of our FTFrenzy. Several more out of town - including the final of the Geolympix Solar System series - are expected to be released at the same time. We'll have information to display and to hand out on the day, but visitors will also have use of Oxford Town Hall's wifi to help get their FTFix.

Groosome, glad you liked the interview. Sonny said he'd edit my fluffs out but it's still good free publicity :)

Griff Grof, don't talk to me about coins!

But yes, please collect them at the event. If you've pre-ordered one via the website it will be behind the Geolympix Shop stand for you. If you've not, I suggest you buy yours early to avoid disappointment as we're expecting demand to outstrip supply. It certainly is at the moment! :ph34r:

Just 10 days to go!

We've update both the website and event page with new info, including the stands attending, the timetable for the event and the full programme of satellite events, listed below. You can also stay up-to-date and ask your questions via our Twitter feed @Geolympix and Facebook Group.

Events list:

GC3PKE4 SP's Geolympix Pub Quiz Event - 7pm-11pm Friday 20th July 2012 - Hosted by Simply Paul. Kicking off the programme with a classic pub quiz in central Oxford.

GC3E0GT Your GeoDog is a Mega Mutt! Event - 1pm-4pm Saturday 21st July 2012 - Hosted by Dorsetgal & Geodog. Saturday afternoon fun n games for our four-legged caching friends.

GC3BCN6 Carry on Optional Camping! Event - 6pm-11pm Saturday 21st July 2012. A canal-side pub, close to the two most used Geolympix camp sites, with optional board game playing.

GC32000 Webcam Flash Flashmob Event - 8am-8.15am Sunday 22nd July 2012 - Hosted by Simply Paul. The big day starts with the first challenge; joining over 100 others to Flash! (Bring a camera. Please!)

GC22T2T The Geolympix : Oxford 2012 - 10am-4pm Sunday July 2012 - By the Geolympix Team. The most talked about Mega in the World (estimated) begins at 10am; please join us in being Outstanding in the Field!

GC3P05Y 11th of 11 CITO 'Giving Something Back' Event - From 6.45pm Sunday 22nd July 2012. Your chance to leave Oxford prettier than you found it with a litter-picking stroll in a lovely area near the river.

GC3PMN5 Post-Marathon Meet - From 6pm Monday 23rd July 2012 - Hosted by haforn. For the numbers-fans; a five ring, 26.2mile (42.2Km) series has been set, which keeps returning walkers to the middle/car/pub. You'll hate us for the hills but you'll love the views!

GC3PV1E Geolympix Cyclerama: Keep Calm & Cycle On - From 12pm til 3pm on Tuesday 24th July 2012. A pub event close to the route of the Geolympix Cyclerama series along The Phoenix Trail. Traffic-free cyclo-caching.

GC3MKQ0 Not such a BAD Geolympix Event - From 7-11pm on Tuesday 24th July 2012 - Hosted by JollyJax. An addition to the Bicester And District event calendar.

GC3PKGN Geolympix Torch Night Caching Event - From 12am Wednesday 24th July 2012. An unusual night cache event where bringing the biggest torch actually puts you at a disadvantage...

GC3E0H7 Wednesday Wander Event - From 11am-1pm Wednesday 24th July 2012. A relaxing brunch-time event with the chance to walk the footpaths through Blenheim Palace grounds afterwards.

GC3N810 The Closing Ceremony - from 7pm Wednesday 25th July 2012 - Hosted by Team Hippo. Next to England's oldest cache, this hill-top event will feature hill-top larks (football, Frisbee, kites) until the sun sets.

GC3P2KY Handover event in London - From 5-10pm on Thursday 26th of July 2012 - Hosted by goldpot. In London the day the Olympic Torch arrives, this is the spiritual 'passing of the baton' to the larger, better-funded (that means you, tax payers!) event in the UK this year.

Edited by Simply Paul

Overheard some cachers at an event today saying that they were going to use the park and ride in Oxford next Sunday to get to the Mega Event in the city centre. Thought this was a good idea so checked the Oxford park and ride website which gives the times for the buses for weekdays and Saturdays but no mention of any buses on Sunday. It seems that the park and ride does not operate on Sundays. Can someone confirm this or otherwise. Thanks C0lin

And even Water Eaton has a 'regular' bus stop next to it, giving access to general Sunday timetable buses. You may also consider N51° 44.200 W001° 14.444, a free car park next to the Riverside Centre (OX4 4AZ) from which the Geolympix at Oxford town hall is a very nice 1.6 mile/25min step-free walk/wheel away, along a surfaced path beside the river. Certainly it's my parking spot of choice when visiting Oxford these days :)

That said, I did see lots of single yellow line roads with 'Mon-Sat' restrictions, so parking in town really shouldn't be a problem next Sunday for anyone who doesn't like P&R services.

Thanks for the clarification on the P and R everyone. Dorsetgal - your link is the one I looked at but they only give the times for Monday to Friday and for Saturday. C0lin

Edit - Ooops - found the clickable link to the times. Thanks everyone.

Edited by C0lin

Was just looking around the UK map tonight and I suddenly saw the olympic rings appear near Oxford - congratulations to the team on not only getting this marathon series out but getting them in a five ring layout as seen from space (well on a map) so to speak.

I think the team need an even bigger congratulations for all the planning and preparation that you've put into this, you're putting on one of the biggest events in the country for thousands of people, the young, the old, and families, to enjoy, and to celebrate the great hobby that is geocaching. So congrats from me on getting it all done successfully, now for the big day and event week, before it's all over - bet you'll all be a little sad about that ;)

So THANK YOU - sit back and watch the gratitudes pour in.

5 days to go!!

Edited by Griff Grof

I think the team need an even bigger congratulations for all the planning and preparation that you've put into this, you're putting on one of the biggest events in the country for thousands of people, the young, the old, and families, to enjoy, and to celebrate the great hobby that is geocaching. So congrats from me on getting it all done successfully, now for the big day and event week, before it's all over - bet you'll all be a little sad about that ;)

So THANK YOU - sit back and watch the gratitudes pour in.

5 days to go!!

I second those bigger congratulations. C0lin

Was just looking around the UK map tonight and I suddenly saw the [geolympix] rings appear near Oxford - congratulations to the team on not only getting this marathon series out but getting them in a five ring layout as seen from space (well on a map) so to speak.

Do you mean this series? Months of careful planning and a lot of hard work on the ground by Andy & Sarah aka Lord of the Cachers & Haforn :)

There's also Haforn's Post Marathon event on Monday evening, from 6pm. News of a BBQ there is pending, so please post your Will Attend with eats if you'd like them ASAP. Thanks.

Edited by Simply Paul

Not sure if any of the regulars here went to the Geolympix, but I was one of the 11-icon chasers and I had a fab day. From the word go it was a hoot at the flash mob where strangely, 200 people (and assorted other animals) were loitering for no apparent reason... trying and failing not to look like a large group of people loitering for no apparent reason... "OK, everybody, look inconspicuous!". It was funny and quite the silliest thing I think I've ever done. I was smiling from start to finish.

The organisation at the main event for signing in and moving everyone in to the hall was still staggeringly efficient! I had a rare old time discovering trackables (adding to the trays, those I had brought with me) and sharing my own coin for discovery. Spotted a few faces I had already seen at the flash mob and was very pleased to 'discover' a number of that rare breed of special cacher - the GS Lackey! (as the badge said!).

I would have loved to stay longer for some of the talks but had a lot of caching to do and (VERY) reluctantly left after only a short time. HUGE congratulations and LOTS of appreciation to Simply Paul and the whole Geolympix team for the myriad other events, caches and activities arranged for the whole weekend. There literally was something for everyone and a surfeit of riches. Some very hard choices had to made this weekend! And the way you brought the sunshine out just for us, was phenomenal.

At the final CITO, the mood of the assembled throng was buoyant - if knackered! Met up with a few faces I recognised and discovered a few more trackables in the hands (and also on the person) of some cachers I'd not met before The trackable doggies were especially cute! Finally got to meet Mr SimplyP at last and personally thank him for all the hard work from him and the Geolympix team for what has been an amazing weekend. It was my first mega event and I do hope it won't be my last.