Injurys

eusty

About a month ago I lent down to get a cache under a firethorn bush and stabbed my palm in a fallen thorn. Nothing much happened at first as I though I'd got it out, but a month later it's now gone septic and I'm on antibiotics :( (I guess it will have to be cut out sometime).

So what's the worst you've had happen on a caching adventure? Apart from nettles etc which are par for the course......

About a month ago I lent down to get a cache under a firethorn bush and stabbed my palm in a fallen thorn. Nothing much happened at first as I though I'd got it out, but a month later it's now gone septic and I'm on antibiotics :( (I guess it will have to be cut out sometime).

So what's the worst you've had happen on a caching adventure? Apart from nettles etc which are par for the course......

•  
  • Broken ribs (two)
  • Punctured lung (same time as above)
  • Broken arm
  • Lovely, messy, bloody, nose-incident involving flaps of skin blowing in the breeze, and bits of bone on show :)

• Broken ribs (two)
  • Broken arm
  • Lovely, messy, bloody, nose-incident involving flaps of skin blowing in the breeze, and bits of bone on show :)

Where on earth do you cache!!! More info is needed..... ;)

• Broken ribs (two)
  • Broken arm

Where on earth do you cache!!! More info is needed..... ;)

The first two were just outside Exeter - on a downhill bike course (with a cache at the bottom)

The third was in Cornwall - I made my way from the top to the bottom of some old mine workings the quick way ;) Didn't think it was broken until the following day, after packing up the tent and driving back to Exeter....

The last was during Carry Yer Own Camping on Dartmoor last year - and I still can't remember how I did it....but thanks to Sam Sonatella for taking me to A&E :)

In October 2009, I was finding the answers to an Earthcache in Pembrokeshire which required me to estimate the size of a cave. So I was striding across large pebbles/small rocks when I twisted my knee. The problem was compounded when I went on to complete a 5 mile walk later the same day. I was in agony for the next week, and my knee still needed added support on long walks for the next year. In fact it is only in the last few months that I don't feel twinges when making long walks on uneven ground - and that's when using a support bandage and walking poles!

Chris

PS: I was awarded the Earthcache thankfully!!

Just remembered that while in North Yorkshire for the first UK Mega we were doing a fox hunt cache the day before the Mega, and I got a bit carried away jumping a ditch and twisted my ankle really badly. I was hobbling around for the rest of the day and had to nip down to A&E during the actual Mega event to get an X-ray. It was nothing too bad but it hurt like hell and I was hobbling for a few weeks.

The other day I fell over and badly sprained my ankle. Unfortunately I was 4 miles into an 8 mile hike so I tied up my boots tight and hobbled the remaining 4 miles home. My ankle looked great the next few days.

And when I first started caching I had so many small cuts all over my arms that more than one person at work (i'm a psychiatric nurse) pulled me to one side and asked if I was self harming.

Nothing on a par with this. I nearly fell in the river in Richmond Park after dark when hunting a stage of "Z is for Zitting", although luckily I didn't fall that far down the bank. I had a nice looking bruise/scab on my arm for a few days afterward having taken some skin off.

I didn't even find what I was looking for, and still need to go back to find out if I was even in the right place.

Nothing on a par with this. I nearly fell in the river in Richmond Park after dark when hunting a stage of "Z is for Zitting", although luckily I didn't fall that far down the bank. I had a nice looking bruise/scab on my arm for a few days afterward having taken some skin off.

I didn't even find what I was looking for, and still need to go back to find out if I was even in the right place.

That'll be the river I waded across in the dark.

That'll be the river I waded across in the dark.

Probably, I just hope it was the right place on the right river. I'd still rather wade it in the dark when I planned to wade it, than swim in it when I didn't expect to be swimming!

A while ago I managed to trip, fall forwards slide face first through a pile of gravel and was stopped by a rock, with my forehead.... large lump slight concussion, & blood/ gravel rash everywhere... no way to celebrate our 100th cache.... the cache?..... The Bloody Hundreth........

Let's see...

Apart from loads of scratches (brambles, hawthorn, blackthorn, etc.) stings from nearly every lot of nettles I see....I've:

Been poked in the eye by a large twig (under my glasses) so badly I was half blind for the second half of a series (luckily it wasn't permanent, but I had a very sore, watering and bloodshot eye for a few days). But, I wasn't letting that stop me walking the rest of the series.

Been bitten by a dog (earlier this year) and stung by a bee (just last week).

Twisted my ankle so many times I've lost count.

Face planted off my bike when the front wheel got stuck in some deep mud and launched me off straight over the handlebars.

Lots of splinters, thorns, etc. in my hands arms and face.

Other than that, I've been lucky.

As the quote goes (I think): "if you aren't doing at least two of the following: sweating, crying or bleeding, then you aren't caching hard enough"

Regards,

Martin

My Injury encounter came just as I was smugly walking away from a cache where the hint suggested that it would be a helpful if you were a basketball player to find it. At 6ft 4 I found the cache quite easily hence my smugness. I was just checking my GPS for the next co-ordinates when everything went black and I found myself flat on my back with a very sore head. When I looked up I realised that my head had hit a branch hanging over the footpath that only someone of my height would have hit. Poetic justice!!

I had an encounter with Poison Ivy whilst caching in the US. That resulted in a nasty rash (I still have it some 5 weeks later) and was more itchy than an itchy thing that's been sprayed with concentrated itching powder. Badly sprained my ankle on the same day as well, with a mile to walk back to the car. That still gives me gyp as well.

The third was in Cornwall - I made my way from the top to the bottom of some old mine workings the quick way ;) Didn't think it was broken until the following day, after packing up the tent and driving back to Exeter....

At the time keehotee was more annoyed that he'd scratched his GPS than the fact he'd smashed his arm falling off a *ahem* 4ft wall.

The last was during Carry Yer Own Camping on Dartmoor last year - and I still can't remember how I did it....but thanks to Sam Sonatella for taking me to A&E :)

Nothing to do with a bottle of red and a couple of healthy shots of three monkeys then ;)

Personally I've not had any serious caching injuries, other than the usual scratches, cuts and scrapes. But have have spent a fair amount of time sat in A&E with keehotee!

Nothin too serious....retrieving one from under a wooden bridge, slipped on the grass, banged my bum, stuck my arm in a bunch of nasty nettles and had two splinters in my pinky :(

Likewise with the twig in the eye......walked right into the bloomin thing.....walking round like a pirate rest of the day arrrrrrr :(

At the time keehotee was more annoyed that he'd scratched his GPS than the fact he'd smashed his arm falling off a *ahem* 4ft wall.

Nothing to do with a bottle of red and a couple of healthy shots of three monkeys then ;)

Personally I've not had any serious caching injuries, other than the usual scratches, cuts and scrapes. But have have spent a fair amount of time sat in A&E with keehotee!

It was bigger than 4 feet.....

And the 3 monkeys was forced on me. Forced, I say...... ;)

The other day I fell over and badly sprained my ankle. Unfortunately I was 4 miles into an 8 mile hike so I tied up my boots tight and hobbled the remaining 4 miles home. My ankle looked great the next few days.

And when I first started caching I had so many small cuts all over my arms that more than one person at work (i'm a psychiatric nurse) pulled me to one side and asked if I was self harming.

LOL (And hey, halli)... One of my fellow cabbies asked me a few days ago if I was in to cutting. Not sure if he was concerned or wanted a partner though :/

Ive had that tooo but didnt think it was a good thing to write on the forum...my manager (beehatch) asked me if i needed to talk about anything and i replied "nooo not with yooou".....and then she pointed to one of my new wounds and said "i think you have a problem" :o felt like saying " yeh the problem is love in summer thorny bushes grow around the caches so makes it a tad more difficult to retrieve without being ripped to shreds THANKYOU"

A stab in the top of the head from some barbwire I always ware a baseball cap but a quick cache and dash no cap and the thatch is getting very thin and I'm glad I ware glasses as branches seem to try to poke your eyes out, and all those thorns,stinging nettles and brambles.

I got stung by 3 wasps last week going for a cache, and like abiherts DNF-ed so not worth it (but as mentioned, at least now I know I'm not allergic [;)] )

Generally I have enough cuts and bruises from various activities including caching that I'm often subject to concerned questions about my wellbeing - I'm actually just really clumsy and enjoy the outdoors, not a great combination (and probably not the answer the questioners are looking for!).