New cache icons

Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

If you right click on the image and select 'Save Picture As...', you will see it has a file name of name_tag.gif.

Oops. We'll have to rename it oil_can.gif

We're still playing with icons so they'll be changing off an on over the next week or so.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
I still like them and disagree that they look cheap (as opposed to what, the two color blobs from before?) But maybe the faces are the hang-up for some. What if the faces went away?

Uh, they look cheap because they look like a twenty-five cent sheet of stickers. And before, you could actually sort through the information without the distraction of several colors leaping out at you from the page.

Yes, losing the faces would be great. Even better would be having a search page that defaults to what I haven't found (if I wanted to know which caches I've found, I'd've gone to my cache page, thank you) in a format that's easy to read. Two or three colors, important info in bold.

When I want a lot of colors and squidgy shapes I'll go to the children's section of the library and pull out the picture books, okay?

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator

I agree with Enfanta.

I wouldnt be surprised if the 'minority' of people that don't like the new icons isn't as small as people make it out to be. Most geocachers don't use the forums. A lot more don't post. There are also lots of people who won't express how they feel because they feel that nobody cares or that the majority is too large.

A poll on the matter would be interesting to say the least.

I also TOTALLY agree that the search page should default to caches you haven't found, but that's a different thread.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

Sorry, enfanta, I wasn't trying to be inflammatory, just disagreeing.

Besides just liking the style (which is odd for me, because I generally prefer the stripped-down look of the other caching site), from a practical standpoint, I think the different icons are more easily distinguishable now. I'm reading the names, and I can easily tell out of the corner of my eye what type it is.

Plus, they're much easier to customize:

49462_2900.bmp49462_3000.jpg

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Uh, they look cheap because they look like a twenty-five cent sheet of stickers.

They struck me as having more of a Playskool quality. And maybe this is why I dislike Windows XP so much. Same type of graphics.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

When I saw this thread, I figured it would be a lot of posts about how awful the new icons are. I guess I may be in the minority, but I don't like them. The old ones were great!

I agree with Prime Suspect's assessment.

The whole point of an icon is to provide a symbol that is easy to recognize. Variations on the little blue can was a super way to go. These new ones are all so disparate and unrecognizable. I still don't know what that chip-clip/squeegee thing is all about. The smiley face that is being boiled in a glass pot is freaking me out, too.

In response to Markwell's question, I would just add that I think that the Project Ape designations should be retained. The one in WA does not have it's P.A. icon any more and I am sad about that.

I realize that we aren't taking a poll, but if we were, I would vote the new icons off the island and bring back the old ones. If change is a 'must-do', then let's try something else. Please!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

OK, if this was a poll, I'd vote with the minority. I'm not a huge fan of the smiley face. But I like the members only suggestion, very funny, and the customization. But you know what? I don't really think the icons are a big part of my caching experience. What I really need and come here for are the coordinates.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

What happens if someone logs a found on their own [not debating that here; it happens, what does it look like?]

It shows the nametag and not the check. Don't ask me how I know this, and I won't have to kill you.

warm.gif

Oh great, it's bad enough that people are out there blowing up tupperware, now we've got to TELL them where the MINE's are?!?! icon_razz.gif

I like em all...just keep the caches comin' and I'll be happy.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/name_tag.gif Ok, ok, so it IS a name tag, and NOT an oil can. If you right click on the image and select 'Save Picture As...', you will see it has a file name of name_tag.gif.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I had to LOL when I 1st saw the mine arrow, there is no mistaking what that means. Good one Jeremy if you did not mean as a joke it sure is funny anyway. I guess you can't please everybody.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

My 2 cents:

I like the "Mine" Icon

I don't like the Icon for Virtuals, it makes it look like they have been banned. How about a V instead.

I don't like the smiley faces - like others have said - too cartoonish.

Not that big of a deal though -

Eswau

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

The smiley face that is being boiled in a glass pot is freaking me out, too.

And he's screaming "I am NOT having a nice day!"

How would you feel, being boiled in a glass pot.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Getting rid of the boiling smiley face (best description I've heard) would help, though I'd like to see it switched entirely to an ammo can or something of the sort. The rest of them are ok, and you definately can't miss the mine tag anymore.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

You know, at first I thought the jack-o-lanterns were kind of cute, but now that I had some time to see them more often, I don't like them either.

Don't get me wrong, they are still cute. I think that's the problem. When I was a newbie, I thought some of the finds were kind of tough, but after caching for a while and find some pretty tough caches, I feel like these finds are somewhat of badge of honor. When I see those icons it sort of feels like those finds were cheapened, even though I know it's not true. They may give the wrong impression about how easy or hard a cache may really be to someone who is just getting started in the game.

I like the way the icons are right now with the smiley faces2.gif , red check marks check.gif and the Mine icon name_tag.gif .

The only other suggestion that I have is to change the travel bug icon icon_bug.gif to have a clear background so it looks better with the shaded lines.

RM

I too would have to vote no on the new cache icons. They remind me of a pumpkin. Looking forward to seeing some other ideas or maybe some graphic savy members can submit their designs for consideration?

We can let the members vote and the winner can get hooked up with some free geocaching gear, just an idea.

Wow all this over a few icons..glad it's not something overly important! But seriously thought..I like them! It's better then what we had..an different! Also if you really think we should change them, then post your icon and vote on it. icon_smile.gif But does it really matter what an icon looks like.. Just my own thoughts..

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

You know, at first I thought the jack-o-lanterns were kind of cute, but now that I had some time to see them more often, I don't like them either.

Can we just have the new container icon without the pumpkin?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

quote:
Originally posted by IntotheWoods:

...except that one little smily who's hiding behind any empty pot in the multicache logo...

I've been trying to evict him, but he keeps coming back icon_wink.gif

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

ok, i like the new set without the smiley just fine, with the exception of the letterbox icon which still looks blobby and nondescript to me. is there a way to make it more like those stamp thingies people actually use?

oh, yeah, they're called "stamps".

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.