New cache icons

Mopar

Well, I for one like em! In fact, I like em a little too much.........they look delicious. Jeremy, have you considered marketing them as "Geocaching Chewable Vitamins?"

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

Well, I for one like em! In fact, I like em a little too much.........they look delicious. Jeremy, have you considered marketing them as "Geocaching Chewable Vitamins?"

Bret

It does look a bit like a cookie jar!

I like them. Fresh idea and look!

I likes 'em! The old ones were very dull colored; these are very eye-catching. My only complaint is, I had a hard time figuring out what the "Hidden" icon is. I never did figure it out actually, it took Dave's post to tell me. I thought it was dynamite or an XBox controller.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

I like them a lot. I particularly like the big red check for found caches. The only thing I had trouble figuring out (as others mentioned) is the icon for caches that I have hidden. It looks like a white stick of dynamite to me.

RM

[This message was edited by Rocket Man on June 30, 2003 at 08:23 PM.]

I also love the new icons. I haven't seen the hidden/found icons yet--I'm going to check them as soon as this posts...

I agree about them looking like cookie jars, but to me when I first saw the regular cache icon on Big Fig's Daniel Boone #2 cache, I was thinking, "I wonder how Big Fig got that Halloween icon on his page, and why now?" Then after a simple click, I saw all the icons and understood. icon_smile.gif

Ok. Now I've seen the other icons--very nice again! After reading Bos "oil can" comment, it really looked like an oil can to me at first... icon_smile.gif I guess I see things weird with 1600x1200 resolution and all those tiny pixels.

So, when do we get to see new Travel Bug and watch list 3-D icons? (Or maybe just remove the white backgrounds.)

Are you sure it's not an oil can? It sure looks like one to me. You know - since we do the 'maintainance' on those caches. I also like the new icons - they are fun.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

I like the new cache icons... now can we get the big red check mark to show on cache page for those that we have found. I can't always remember all the caches I have found, would rather have a red check near the icon on cache page than read through the logs

Snot?

Well... I do have a cold right now...

--------------------------------------------------

"If you ever go temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised." - Jack Handy

name_tag.gif Spray can? Are these caches that have been cammo painted?

I first assumed this was supposed to represent travel bugs (had to guess, since there's no alternate text provided). We need to come up with something better than this to represent owned caches. On my GPS I use the Mine icon, since those caches are "mine".

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on June 30, 2003 at 10:55 PM.]

quote:
If this is supposed to represent travel bugs (and I'm guessing here, since there's no alternate text provided), it's terrible. Bring the bug back.

Its not for Travel Bugs. It must the new symbol for ownership. Upon closer inspection it looks like a name tag.

Kar

icon_smile.gif

I first assumed this was supposed to represent travel bugs (had to guess, since there's no alternate text provided). We need to come up with something better than this to represent owned caches. On my GPS I use the Mine icon, since those caches are "mine".

3608_2800.gif

wel, i think the results regarding the oil can are mixed. it's cute, but i think the purpose of an icon is to represent an idea in a way that's easy to identify and understand. so in that regard, THAT icaon should go back to the drawing board.

the container icons need to be resized; they're a little wider than the originals, and it makes them a little out of proportion. the old sizing was nicely proportioned and smooth looking.

and here's a little suggestion: how about a little blurb (a separate page maybe?) that's easy to find that exp;ains what all the little icons are- we have a page like that for containers, but it'd be nice to have the features of the search results page explained so, well, it's just a good idea.

it would be nice to have a reference guide. sometimes i'm not all that sure which dates in the right coulumn are what.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I like 'em, (though I'm surprised the base model is of a plastic container rather than a rugged ammo box icon_wink.gif ) except I can't figure out what a "squeegee" has to do with letterbox hybrid caches. icon_wink.gif

I also think CYBret's offering should be added to the official lineup. It sure would encourage more folk to create MOCs. icon_wink.gif

Oh, weird. The old icons were still in my PCs cache at work, so I was seeing the old traditional and multi icons for a minute. I thought we had reverted, and I already hate the old ones.

This won't make sense to most people, but you know how they changed the graphics between the really old "The Incredible Machine" games and the newer versions, so they looked more 3-dimensional and cartoony? That's what this reminds me of. There's something distinctly TIM about them.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

though I'm surprised the base model is of a plastic container rather than a rugged ammo box - except I can't figure out what a "squeegee" has to do with letterbox hybrid caches. icon_wink.gif

This is the first thing I thought too.

I think the colors are a little FEM. I suppose they might be fun looking for kids.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

quote:

I like 'em, (though I'm surprised the base model is of a plastic container rather than a rugged ammo box icon_wink.gif ) except I can't figure out what a "squeegee" has to do with letterbox hybrid caches. icon_wink.gif

5.gif Don't you know a hair clip when you see one? Apparently, when hunting letterboxes, you want to make sure your hair doesn't get in your eyes.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Don't you know a hair clip when you see one? Apparently, when hunting letterboxes, you want to make sure your hair doesn't get in your eyes.

While I acknowledge that your interpretation is as valid as mine, I always wear a cap to keep the hair out of my eyes and the ticks out of my hair ... also, I've had a lot more experience dealing with "squeegee-men" than hairclips. icon_wink.gif

Oh, I get it ... it's really a "Where's George" stamper.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/5.gif Don't you know a hair clip when you see one? Apparently, when hunting letterboxes, you want to make sure your hair doesn't get in your eyes.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

Hrmph. And to think I considered them to be Chip Clip thingys.

Brian

Team A.I.

I like them!

When I first saw the new 2.gif icon, my first thought was that I had some sort of Halloween virus on my computer... My second thought was, "Yum! Pumpkin soup!"

Much better than the old ones!

Could there be a different icon for Locationless than Virtual?

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Minority again. I don't like the new icons. They look cheesey and cheap. Not to mention distracting. Took me a moment to figure out what the white tag next to my cache meant but since I only own one cache, I finally caught on.

Do you guys want some help with design? Cause the site's getting difficult to look at...

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator

I still like them and disagree that they look cheap (as opposed to what, the two color blobs from before?) But maybe the faces are the hang-up for some. What if the faces went away?

And I think it's clear that the "hidden" graphic needs a change. What about just a different colored check mark? And what about putting it in a different column (right now, my "found" and my "hidden" icons are in the same column. What happens if someone logs a found on their own [not debating that here; it happens, what does it look like?]) And maybe giving those columns a header at the top, like the other columns have?

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Ok, ok, so it WAS a name tag, and NOT an oil can. If you right click on the image and select 'Save Picture As...', you will see it has a file name of name_tag.gif.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

[This message was edited by junglehair on July 01, 2003 at 08:49 PM.]