Montana does not support Wherigo

The Garmin Montana series does not support Wherigo. That's what they have said all along since its announcement.

Yet if you take a look through the GarminDevice.xml file it has reference to it...

-<DataType>
<Name>Wherigo_Cartridges</Name>
-<File>-<Specification><Identifier>GWC</Identifier>
</Specification>
-<Location>
<Path>Wherigo</Path>
<FileExtension>GWC</FileExtension
></Location>
<TransferDirection>InputToUnit</TransferDirection>
</File></DataType>
-<DataType><Name>Wherigo_Saves</Name>
-<File>-<Specification><Identifier>GWS</Identifier></Specification>
-<Location><Path>Wherigo/Saves</Path><FileExtension>GWS</FileExtension>
</Location><TransferDirection>OutputFromUnit</TransferDirection></File></DataType>
-<DataType><Name>Wherigo_Logs</Name>-<File>-<Specification><Identifier>GWL</Identifier></Specification>
-<Location><Path>Wherigo/Saves</Path><FileExtension>GWL</FileExtension></Location>
<TransferDirection>OutputFromUnit</TransferDirection>
</File></DataType>

Does this show hope for a later implementation or is the rift between Garmin and Groundspeak too big to allow it?

It's not in my GarminDevice.xml either.

It looks like what is written in this file is dependant on user data. So if you have a GPX file loaded from Topographix, for example, Topografix.com is seen on that .xml. Savant, do you have any Wherigo cartriges loaded on the unit itself anywhere? Perhaps the data gathering for the particular .xml file picked it up and wrote a note about it.

It would be nice to run Wherigo on the Montana, but the stagnation on Wherigo development has me thinking it's a dinosaur.

Does this show hope for a later implementation or is the rift between Garmin and Groundspeak too big to allow it?

We'd be more than happy to allow Garmin to use Wherigo on their new devices, for free, as we have in the past. Unfortunately they have pretty much stopped all communications with us since they launched their own geocaching competitor. If there's a rift it is one-sided.

It would be nice to run Wherigo on the Montana, but the stagnation on Wherigo development has me thinking it's a dinosaur.

Admittedly we haven't focused on Wherigo in some time, due to our current focus on the core Geocaching experience, but it is something we really want to work on. Unfortunately the current implementation on Garmin devices won't change, regardless of whether we continue to develop the player for that device or not. Fortunately there is a lot you can do with the current framework and people are still creating Wherigo cartridges. They're just using alternative builder applications like Earwigo to make them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not at home right now so I cant check if it is on my device right now. That came form my GarminDevice.xml as it was shipped. I made a complete backup of the unit before I used it all, so that was unaltered by adding any data. My unit came shipped with 2.30 firmware. Will check again when I get home.

Edited by savant9

Garmins site says that all the montana models do not have Wherigo but lists the Oregons as having it. This just seems odd as it is there top of the line GPS and has everything but the kitchen sink. It's not like the unit does not have the capability or processing power to pull it off. I hope they didn't leave it out on purpose expecting those that want it to buy another unit in addition to the Montana.

Garmins site says that all the montana models do not have Wherigo but lists the Oregons as having it. This just seems odd as it is there top of the line GPS and has everything but the kitchen sink. It's not like the unit does not have the capability or processing power to pull it off. I hope they didn't leave it out on purpose expecting those that want it to buy another unit in addition to the Montana.

I think the probably of any new Garmin unit supporting Wherigo is somewhere between zero and not at all.

Ok, I have just double checked. My original GarminDevice.xml that I backed up from my Montana 650, as shipped with 2.30 firmware, has the mention of Wherigo that I posted in the initial post.

The current version that is on my Montana with firmware 2.60 does not have this any more.

Does anyone have a backup of their Montana before updating that can confirm this?

Garmin might be more interested in it if could be used for them to sell some chirps.

Great, a WhereIChirp cache.

Double the reasons to ignore it! :lol:

Well, not really since I can do the Wherigo using the ANDROID app.

What ever happened to the speculation that more phones would support ANT and there would be apps that could read the Chirp?

As far as Wherigo, I think the future is with smartphones and it probably makes little difference if Garmin will support it on their devices. They didn't really do a very good job on it when they did. IMO, Groundspeak was a little ahead of the curve when they announced Wherigo. It really is an app that fits the smartphone market better than the GPS market. With players now for iPhone and Android, I think we will see it begin to grow.

What ever happened to the speculation that more phones would support ANT and there would be apps that could read the Chirp?

Chirp is not ANT, it is ANT+, which is another layer on top of ANT. I actually tried to get the information to make a Chirp reader with an Arduino and an ANT chip, but the chip does not do ANT+ and the protocol is not freely available.

Groundspeak ought to be feeling pretty ill-used by Garmin about now. As a non-Garmin owner, I am annoyed that Chirp caches are allowed, as they violate the Commercial Caches guideline (well, except for the part about getting Groundspeak permission).

Groundspeak gave Garmin a nice monopoly on a certain cache type. I hope they got something of equal value in return, because they gave up some of my loyalty at the same time.

Hubby has an Oregon 400, I have a 450t. On our first Wherigo this week, mine froze up 3/4 of the way through, his froze up right before the end and we couldn't find the log. Maybe this technology is beyond Garmin's interest or ability and they are now admitting it? Just a thought. No more Wherigo's for us using Garmin. We walked our feet off for not much reward.