Magellan Explorist gc or Garmin Dakota 10

zinzah

I have been caching for over 2 years. Have been using my Garmin Nuvi 200(Car GPS) for all hunts. It is time to upgrade....Been doing a lot of research online. It looks like it comes down to these 2. Both seem to be highly rated. Magellan supposedly has small screen issues.

Seen reviews of Gamin that says the Dakota 10 DOES have paperless caching and ones that say it DOES NOT.

Basically, in order of importance: accuracy, readability, paperless caching. Don't need road maps, but basic topo would be fine. I read that there a free Garmin maps available online, and a smaller selection for the Magellan. Touch screen is not necessary as long as menu navigation is relatively simple. The extra toys - compass, altimeter, camera (yeah right someday maybe) would all be nice. Honestly, I'm leaning Garmin because I love my Nuvi and have never had a problem with it. Any one want to offer some insight to either?

I'd have a hard time buying a Magellan with their abysmal reputation for customer support and I'd have a hard time buying a Garmin for reasons not related to the quality of their products and customer service, which are very good.

Can you elaborate on the reasons for being "anti-Garmin"?

I have the eXplorist GC, and for me (and my reading glasses) it is fine. Haven't had to deal with customer service - yet, touch wood - so can't comment there. We also have a Garmin 60CSx - not paperless, which is why we (rather I, being cheap) went for the GC. See if you can go to an outdoor store that will let you try the units and return them. Failing that, ask around your local caching community and see if you can pair up with someone to try their unit.

If you do go for the GC, watch the screen brightness and time the light stays on or you'll be buying shares in a battery company. I've adjusted the settings to get the max I can out of batteries.

I was going to go with the Garmin 60CSx. seems like an excellent choice, but without the paperless option......

I'd like to go to the 62, but no maps included on the base model and the others in the series get pricey....Thanks for the help..

Zinzah, I use a Dakota 10 and find it great. Like you I don't use a lot of maps etc. so there is plenty of internal memory for cache data. Also don't load hundreds of caches at a time, so again the 10 is fine. I also use a Nuvi 1300 to route me near the cache when driving. When out of the car I use the Dakota. Together they make a great team in leading me to the cache. Also, its very easy to load the same gpx PQ into both.

Each and every make/model of GPSr units have their +/- moments or qualities. We use and love our Delorme PN-40, but we have an eTrex Venture HC as backup. A Nuvi 1300, just for occasional routing.

Yooper Snowman knows his unit well and gives good advice, but your final choice is yours to make. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another.

My word of advice is to NOT scrimp on a purchase, because in the long run, you end up not-quite-so-happy if you do.

I have the Dakota 10. It does do paperless caching - part of the reason I upgraded from a Garmin eTrex Legend. Have had the Dakota for a couple of months and have nothing but good things to say about it. One upside on Garmin is a large community of users who create maps themselves. You can find lots of good map stuff from GPSFILEDEPOSIT.COM for little to no cost.

Edited by dfw_n_mom