Active but inactive geocachers and their caches.

So I've a local cacher who consistently puts out and finds caches, yet his caches keep coming up missing for quite a few people. No matter who send or how many emails are sent to him a response is never given. Likewise, he seems to be a fairly respected member in my local community (as far as caching goes), yet I do not feel this excuses his behaviour and neglect to his caches and the community as a whole. In addition to caches that come up missing, some seem to change size without any note. One such case is an ammo can mysteriously transforming into a film canister without any notice. You can see why this is annoying. So the question, yes?

What do I do? There are currently at least three caches that are MIA that I am trying to find, at least one with assistance from someone who has found it before.

If you are looking for a cache with someone who found it before and remembers where it should be hidden and still can't find it, then I think a Needs Maintenance log might be in order. If that doesn't cause any action in a couple months, maybe a Needs Archived log would be warranted. Beyond that, I don't really know what you could do except try talking to a local reviewer and see if they have any procedures to cover this situation. (Maybe some reviewers will chime in here.)

Oh, and people will probably ask you to provide at least one cache URL so they can take a look at it. (The ammo can changing to a film canister sounds like maybe someone who couldn't find the ammo can decided to drop a film canister somewhere so they could log a find and get a smiley, so that might not be the CO's doing.)

There is nothing that says a cacher needs to respond to eMail from other cachers.

Rude, perhaps...but it certainly is their prerogative.

I have seen many cases of 'cache container transformation', but from an ammo can to a film can is pretty wild! :o

My favorite scenario is looking for a cache (maybe after a couple of others have DNFed) and also DNFing. I put a watch on the cache, and a few weeks later someone posts a find. I go back, and there it is in the same place I looked before (lampskirt), but no maintenance log was posted.

There is nothing that says a cacher needs to respond to eMail from other cachers.

Rude, perhaps...but it certainly is their prerogative.

I have seen many cases of 'cache container transformation', but from an ammo can to a film can is pretty wild! :o

My favorite scenario is looking for a cache (maybe after a couple of others have DNFed) and also DNFing. I put a watch on the cache, and a few weeks later someone posts a find. I go back, and there it is in the same place I looked before (lampskirt), but no maintenance log was posted.

I am guilty of replacing a cache and forgetting to post a note on the page. I replaced it before anyone posted an NM, so I didn't have anything to "clear" and I just kinda forgot to tell everyone that it was back. Oops