Multis and Distance Clarifications

Thus far in my caching hobby, I have discovered three types of multi caches:

1) The first type has a container at each stage, giving directions to the next cache, which eventually leads to the final cache container (which holds the logbook, swag, etc).

2) The second type has stickers at each stage. For example, a sticker that lists coordinates stuck onto a clothespin, which is pinched onto a branch. Or perhaps you lift a metal fence cap and find the sticker on the underside.

3) The third type, requires cachers to find waypoints that already existed in order to make the final find. Perhaps the cacher needs to find an outdoor bench with a sign on it. And by using some numbers on that sign, the cacher must find the next waypoint, and so forth, until the final cache.

So here's my question... How do we determine which type of multi has the .1 mile distance requirement attached to it? As far as I know, in the scenarios above, only #1 is subject to the distance requirement. I've done caches like #2 and #3 above that have had stickers or waypoints much closer than .1 miles apart.

So does there have to be a literal physical container for the distance restriction to apply to the multi stages?

Confused. :blink:

BaylorGrad

The first and second examples are something put there by the CO, and are subject to distance requirements from another cache. This would also include magic marker on the bridge, and spray paint on the tree.

The third example makes use of existing information. Nothing put there by the CO. There is no distance requirements on objects that were already there.

The first and second examples are something put there by the CO, and are subject to distance requirements from another cache. This would also include magic marker on the bridge, and spray paint on the tree.

The third example makes use of existing information. Nothing put there by the CO. There is no distance requirements on objects that were already there.

Very, very interesting... So apparently the cache that I did like #2 violates the distance guidelines? Hmmm.

Sounds like this is a system that could be abused awfully easily... :/

Just to make it clear, there are no distance requirements between stages of the same multi in any of your examples, if that was what you were asking.

That's exactly what I was asking. Now this makes things even more interesting, since you gave a different answer than the above responder... :)

But to make things even more difficult, what if I want to place a traditional cache nearby one of the stages described? Which of those multi stages could I place a traditional within .1 miles of?

Just to make it clear, there are no distance requirements between stages of the same multi in any of your examples, if that was what you were asking.

That's exactly what I was asking. Now this makes things even more interesting, since you gave a different answer than the above responder... :)

But to make things even more difficult, what if I want to place a traditional cache nearby one of the stages described? Which of those multi stages could I place a traditional within .1 miles of?

He answered a different question, the one you just asked :)

The third example would not require a set distance from another cache from any stage that you do not place something at, also called virtual stages.

The Guidelines:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=304

6. Physical elements of different geocaches should generally be at least 0.10 miles apart. This separation is 528 ft or 161 m. A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements. The graphic below shows a few examples of what is and is not acceptable in terms of geocache saturation. EarthCaches are exempt from this guideline.

This is the answer.

JJC is correct. Within your own multi, there are no distance limits. But in the scenarios 1 & 2, you would need to ensure none of the physical stages where within .1 mile of someone else's caches or physical stages.

In scenario 3 all your stages are virtual and are not subject to distance limitation of other caches or stages.

If the cache owner places a physical item that is a stage of their multi, then the the 528 foot rule SHOULD apply to any other physical component of any other cache. That being said, there is no restriction on the proximity of stages of the same multi, physical or otherwise.

Physical stages of multis are frequently overlooked in Arizona.

any cache placed near a physical stage of a multi is subject to the .1 mile rule.

Stages within THE SAME multi are not subject to the distance rule.

For example stage 1 and 2 of a 2 stage multi BOTH have to be .1 miles away from any other caches, however, the can be closer than .1 mile (or farther) to EACH OTHER.