A great log entry

I may have found my favorite log of all time. It's definitley one of the best in the history of ever. Check out the FTF log by lrbarrios on this cache.

GC2ZXND

Wife in the hospital, check. Never been in a kayak before, check. No PFD, check.

FTF possibility, he** yes!

What part of this log seemed "best" to you?

The detail and humor. I especially enjoyed the line about sofa cusions working as PFD's for airlines.

I may have found my favorite log of all time. It's definitley one of the best in the history of ever. Check out the FTF log by lrbarrios on this cache.

GC2ZXND

Wife in the hospital, check. Never been in a kayak before, check. No PFD, check.

The detail and humor. I especially enjoyed the line about sofa cusions working as PFD's for airlines.

It probably wouldn't have been nearly as funny if he capsized due to one of the many boat wakes he encountered earler, got separated from his kayak, and drowned because he wasn't wearing a PFD.

Hey folks,

I agree this was a great log entry. In fact, it was a great story.

For those folks who get stuck on nanny state laws enacted by do-gooders to protect people from themselves because the do-gooders know what's best for everyone else, you really missed out on the great humor of the story. I suspect those same folks would be horrified at reading about Mark Twain's Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.

I am not interested in the whole FTF competition for myself, and when I used to take my canoe out, I always chose to wear a life vest. However, lrbarrios made a choice to go for the FTF in the manner he did, and he made the choice to assume any risk attached to his actions. He did make the FTF, and even better yet, he wrote a very interesting and witty log of his find, and a lot of other folks also seem to find it the same.

As far as the risk he assumed in his endeavor goes, I would not rate it all that high. I would submit that snow skiing is far more dangerous and accounts for a great many injuries and deaths each year. In addition, he also seemed to take rather sensible care in his endeavor, and it is a shame the government had to feel a need to cite him with citations for same.

Forget all the worry about the "dangerous" things he did, and just sit back and enjoy a good story.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Wow! That Lrbarrios guy sounds like an idiot. :laughing:

No, you're right NYPaddleCacher... My log entry wouldn't have been as funny if I had drowned... In fact, I don't think I would have even written it. But seriously, not having a PFD was a big oversight on my part. I was so eager to get the FTF that it didn't even occur to me. And just so everyone knows, the wakes weren't really all that bad. I wasn't really too concerned about them. If I thought that they were posing more of a problem than I thought I could handle, I would have turned around and taken the longer route along the shore. As funny as the whole incident was, a PFD would have been a nice addition to my equipment list. Safety first, FTF second... (Just go with it. You know it makes sense.) <_<

Lrbarrios

My log entry wouldn't have been as funny if I had drowned... In fact, I don't think I would have even written it.

Funny

And just so everyone knows, the wakes weren't really all that bad. I wasn't really too concerned about them. If I thought that they were posing more of a problem than I thought I could handle, I would have turned around and taken the longer route along the shore.

lrbarrios is also a very good swimmer and has swam a couple hundred yards in the same lake to retrieve a cache. He knows the lake well and was always within swimming distance to solid ground. I guess it's the Marine in him.

Hey folks,

I agree this was a great log entry. In fact, it was a great story.

For those folks who get stuck on nanny state laws enacted by do-gooders to protect people from themselves because the do-gooders know what's best for everyone else, you really missed out on the great humor of the story. I suspect those same folks would be horrified at reading about Mark Twain's Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.

I am not interested in the whole FTF competition for myself, and when I used to take my canoe out, I always chose to wear a life vest. However, lrbarrios made a choice to go for the FTF in the manner he did, and he made the choice to assume any risk attached to his actions. He did make the FTF, and even better yet, he wrote a very interesting and witty log of his find, and a lot of other folks also seem to find it the same.

As far as the risk he assumed in his endeavor goes, I would not rate it all that high. I would submit that snow skiing is far more dangerous and accounts for a great many injuries and deaths each year. In addition, he also seemed to take rather sensible care in his endeavor, and it is a shame the government had to feel a need to cite him with citations for same.

Forget all the worry about the "dangerous" things he did, and just sit back and enjoy a good story.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Dave, you must've been writing your post at the same time I was writing mine. I agree with you on many aspects. Sometimes 'the man' just can't help but, like you said, "know what's best for us". I'll probably try to fight the ticket just on principle. As far as I know, there are no posted signs about PFDs. I wasn't in a registered vessel (therefore I didn't need to attend a boating safety class). I'm just a guy who wasn't concerned about his own safety (and apparently ignorant of some 'law'). Party Cove is a no-wake zone and is full of boats and full of people. It's clear that they are not wearing life jackets (or some other PFD). Come on, seriously... How cool/attractive is it to wear one of those things while you're trying to show off your bikini clad body to the boys? Nobody wears them. Oh sure, they probably have them on the boat, but what good is that in the event of an accident? That's what the law is probably going to try to tell me. You can take your boat to the middle of the lake, while wearing a life jacket. Once there, you can take that life jacket off and jump in the water (in the name of swimming). But I'll get a ticket for being 30' from the shore. Doesn't really make sense, does it. Anyway, I'm done dwelling on it. Let's just see what the judge says.

Hey Lrbarrios,

I am sorry if I used an "I" to begin your name instead of an "L." I just did not recognize it as an "L" until I read your post.

Thank you for a great story, and I happen to agree that you did have two PFDs with you considering the chair cushions you had. Like I said in my previous post, I always wore a life vest when sailing or doing my canoe even though I have been a very good swimmer for as long as I can remember. I am not ashamed to admit, however, that I lived well into my 60s and never in all that time did I think it was necessary to wear one of those dinky bicycle hats. I banged and cut my head on a lot of varied occasions, but never did it get struck while riding a bike. I know there are those, however, who are absolutely certain they know what is best for me and want to legislate the maditory use of dinky bike hats for everyone.

Keep up the great logs, and

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

GC2ZXND

It probably wouldn't have been nearly as funny if he capsized due to one of the many boat wakes he encountered earler, got separated from his kayak, and drowned because he wasn't wearing a PFD.

Wasn't that what the sofa cushions were for? ;)

My log entry wouldn't have been as funny if I had drowned... In fact, I don't think I would have even written it.

Funny

And just so everyone knows, the wakes weren't really all that bad. I wasn't really too concerned about them. If I thought that they were posing more of a problem than I thought I could handle, I would have turned around and taken the longer route along the shore.

lrbarrios is also a very good swimmer and has swam a couple hundred yards in the same lake to retrieve a cache. He knows the lake well and was always within swimming distance to solid ground. I guess it's the Marine in him.

Terraviator, I wasn't going to mention that for fear of sounding like I was tooting my own horn. Thanks. (PS, I think you exaggerated on the distance. But if you count how many times I did it... then you would be correct.) :lol:

For the rest of you, what TV is referring to is the cache that I mentioned in my log -- Watch the Party (GC2RDJ8). That one was fun too.

I am sorry if I used an "I" to begin your name instead of an "L." I just did not recognize it as an "L" until I read your post.

You're not the first one to make that mistake. It happens alot. "Congrats to Irbarrios on the FTF!!!!!" It's the font. With the Courier font that I'm typing in right now, you can tell the difference. But with a font without serifs (like Arial or Helvetica), you can't. I really need to see about getting that changed. :)

About the bike helmets... I just recently got a mountain bike. As far as I know, around here it's not a law (but then again, it could be... won't know 'til I check. That's when I might find out that it's also illegal to chew gum on Thursdays). I probably will be getting one of those (once I can find one that's comfortable). I plan to take the bike down some distant trails to widen my geocaching radius. Who knows what I might get into. :)

Edited by lrbarrios

Did he get his sunglasses back yet?

No! That mean GeoSick is probably going to keep them hostage. That's ok... Just that morning I noticed that were looking a bit ragged and was thinking of getting some new ones. He can keep them as the STF prize. :laughing:

Your right, I am holding them hostage.

It's a nice log indeed.

But I'd like to note that being a strong swimmer doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a PFD. You may not be able to swim to shore if a drunken idiot in a jetski collides with your kayak, or if the water is too cold, or if there is an undertow... really, why not wear one? I'm sure "showing off your bikini" is not your reason, right? :blink:

Last year I was shocked (and very sad) to learn that a former member of my search and rescue group had drowned. Swimming from a sinking boat about 100 feet from shore. He was in very good shape and a strong swimmer. He disappeared about 50 feet from shore, presumably when an undertow caught him. No one knows why he wasn't wearing his PFD. It took several weeks and hundreds of man-hours of searching before his body was recovered.

For those who think it is just a "nanny state" thing, well, consider that if you drown, efforts and money will have to be spent on recovering your body. So, of course the state cares for your well being :rolleyes: . Personally, I'd rather have my tax money spent on enforcing a "silly rule" than on body recovery.