Geocaching Milestones?

jgc3

I was planning on finding 60 caches on my 60th birthday at the end of October, then I thought that seeing as I am close to 1,570 finds atm, maybe if I upped my find rate I could combine the 60 finds in one day with achieving 2,000 finds as well. So from now until late October I will need to find about 370 caches. A bit of an ask, as up until now my annual average has been around 500.

I thought you'd made a typo.. but you didn't. WOW... 16000 congratulations.. and even 200 hides.. well done. I'd like to put some of your favourites in my milestones feature in my magazine if you'd like to send some pictures etc.. either way, appreciate the post. Thanks.

Yesterday I just hit 16000 with having one of our year 2000 caches as my milestone. Firestone. #3 in California #46 in the world

Good luck. Hope you achieve your goal. Sounds like a cool milestone plan. Would certainly be interested in hearing your progress as you get closer. Thanks.

I was planning on finding 60 caches on my 60th birthday at the end of October, then I thought that seeing as I am close to 1,570 finds atm, maybe if I upped my find rate I could combine the 60 finds in one day with achieving 2,000 finds as well. So from now until late October I will need to find about 370 caches. A bit of an ask, as up until now my annual average has been around 500.

Hi,

One of our subscribers put this together as perhaps a guide, you're welcome to write as you wish but you may

find this helpful.

Team Name:

Actual Name(s):

Number of Caches Found?

Favourite Cache(s):

Favourite Milestone Cache(s):

Do you plan your Milestone finds to be a particular cache?

When do you expect to reach your next Milestone?

Favourite cache hider:

Most caches in one day:

Have you gone caching and found none for the day?

Funniest Cache Moment:

Best Memories while caching:

How many Caches have you hidden?

Any Caching Holidays?

Favourite Caching Destination:

Any random Geo-thoughts you'd like to add?

Thanks

James

Anyone still wanting to submit a milestone story for the magazine it's going to print soon.. cheers

Hi,

One of our subscribers put this together as perhaps a guide, you're welcome to write as you wish but you may

find this helpful.

Team Name:

Actual Name(s):

Number of Caches Found?

Favourite Cache(s):

Favourite Milestone Cache(s):

Do you plan your Milestone finds to be a particular cache?

When do you expect to reach your next Milestone?

Favourite cache hider:

Most caches in one day:

Have you gone caching and found none for the day?

Funniest Cache Moment:

Best Memories while caching:

How many Caches have you hidden?

Any Caching Holidays?

Favourite Caching Destination:

Any random Geo-thoughts you'd like to add?

Thanks

James

I've mostly let milestones fall as they do but sometimes,upon seeing one approach, and also spotting an interesting cache I have manipulated the count to save it for the milestone. I did choose the cache for the 1K (GCPYDB) and the 2K (GCWVGB) milestones and I have two candidates, both Challenge Caches (not to be confused with challenges), for 3K which I will log soon.

And I've played a few games with myself, which are detailed on my profile. One involved hitting 2000 near the end of a year - a game that is possible for anyone reaching 2K for the rest of the century. I also did a couple special daily counts to mark recent birthdays. I am not planning to log 80 caches on my 80th birthday.

Thanks for the post. Happy to hear from another geocacher. 80 for 80.. that would be hectic.. cheers

I've mostly let milestones fall as they do but sometimes,upon seeing one approach, and also spotting an interesting cache I have manipulated the count to save it for the milestone. I did choose the cache for the 1K (GCPYDB) and the 2K (GCWVGB) milestones and I have two candidates, both Challenge Caches (not to be confused with challenges), for 3K which I will log soon.

And I've played a few games with myself, which are detailed on my profile. One involved hitting 2000 near the end of a year - a game that is possible for anyone reaching 2K for the rest of the century. I also did a couple special daily counts to mark recent birthdays. I am not planning to log 80 caches on my 80th birthday.

My #2000 cache milestone was a phoon event held this past Saturday in Kansas City in honor of the first International Geocaching Day. I figured it being the first geocaching day made it fitting for my milestone.

It was a very fun event. Here's a picture of all of us phooning by statues that phoon. I am in there somewhere, LOL.

1cfb1385-7313-4006-aff8-e5e494ebb60c.jpg

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Had to laugh. Appreciate the post. Good idea as it looked like fun. Thanks 'n' Cheers

My #2000 cache milestone was a phoon event held this past Saturday in Kansas City in honor of the first International Geocaching Day. I figured it being the first geocaching day made it fitting for my milestone.

It was a very fun event. Here's a picture of all of us phooning by statues that phoon. I am in there somewhere, LOL.

1cfb1385-7313-4006-aff8-e5e494ebb60c.jpg

I don't really care about milestone numbers, it's all the same to me. But my favorite milestone came up while I was on a virtual cache owner maintenance trip this month. On august 10th, it was my 10 year anniversary in Geocaching. By the 10th of August, 2011, I had done owner maintenance on four of my virtual caches dating back to the "old days" when you could still set them up so far from home (and set them up at all, lol). I hit "Pike Never Made It" at Pikes Peak, "Virtual New Mexico #4 Capulin Volcano", "Shoshone Nickname" in Yellowstone National Park, and "Military History Series - Little Bighorn National Monument" in Montana. It is always good to take a motorcycle trip up through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota. Especially when the temps here in Houston, Texas are over 100 degrees every, single, day. Just these four of my virtual caches have 2,538 logs between them. That is a pretty good number of people who have visited these sites and expressed their enjoyment of them in their logs. That makes it all worthwhile. Now to do the ones in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, LOL. They only add up to 2,596 logs, and there are 11 of them by comparison.

Since the kids got older and are not as interested in Geocaching, my finding them has tapered off, but every once in a while I get an urge to go hunt one down, just for the fun of it, I might make 200 finds someday, lol. But my fun pretty much comes now from answering the large number of emails I get wanting to "claim" a find, and answering those that need answering, and doing cache maintenance when I can get away for a while. I've only got two physical caches left along the Texas coast, but they are two of the original caches placed along the coast a long time ago. Hurricanes took many of my original hiding places away, and left nowhere to put another, so they died a natural death. But I've enjoyed every minute of it all.

Mac

Hi all,

I recently had a very enjoyable experience sharing a milestone with a fellow geocacher.

And have since shared another milestone with them. This got me thinking.. do you have

a special milestone story or do you not really worry about them? Would be interested

in your opinions as I'm running an article for my geocaching magazine and would appreciate

feedback.

Thanks

Thanks for the post. Interesting read.

I don't really care about milestone numbers, it's all the same to me. But my favorite milestone came up while I was on a virtual cache owner maintenance trip this month. On august 10th, it was my 10 year anniversary in Geocaching. By the 10th of August, 2011, I had done owner maintenance on four of my virtual caches dating back to the "old days" when you could still set them up so far from home (and set them up at all, lol). I hit "Pike Never Made It" at Pikes Peak, "Virtual New Mexico #4 Capulin Volcano", "Shoshone Nickname" in Yellowstone National Park, and "Military History Series - Little Bighorn National Monument" in Montana. It is always good to take a motorcycle trip up through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota. Especially when the temps here in Houston, Texas are over 100 degrees every, single, day. Just these four of my virtual caches have 2,538 logs between them. That is a pretty good number of people who have visited these sites and expressed their enjoyment of them in their logs. That makes it all worthwhile. Now to do the ones in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, LOL. They only add up to 2,596 logs, and there are 11 of them by comparison.

Since the kids got older and are not as interested in Geocaching, my finding them has tapered off, but every once in a while I get an urge to go hunt one down, just for the fun of it, I might make 200 finds someday, lol. But my fun pretty much comes now from answering the large number of emails I get wanting to "claim" a find, and answering those that need answering, and doing cache maintenance when I can get away for a while. I've only got two physical caches left along the Texas coast, but they are two of the original caches placed along the coast a long time ago. Hurricanes took many of my original hiding places away, and left nowhere to put another, so they died a natural death. But I've enjoyed every minute of it all.

Mac

Hi all,

I recently had a very enjoyable experience sharing a milestone with a fellow geocacher.

And have since shared another milestone with them. This got me thinking.. do you have

a special milestone story or do you not really worry about them? Would be interested

in your opinions as I'm running an article for my geocaching magazine and would appreciate

feedback.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Interesting photo with your log too.

Cheers

I'd have to say my 100th was my most memorable. It was visiting the Holly Shrine virtual on the 50th anniversary of Buddy's tragic plane crash. I doubt I'll top it for meaningfulness.

At the end of April I was with 12 other danes on a 2 week stay in California. Before I left DK I had planned that my 1000th cache should be found exactly 365 days after I found #1.

Well, it didn't go as planned - in fact it went even better, so that I could log my 1000th cache on the 14th of april 2011 - 9 days before my 'deadline' - it was Howdy-Doo Hollywood - just below the Hollywood Sign :)

Awesome spot. Would like to visit it one day. Some good photo's on the link. Thanks.

At the end of April I was with 12 other danes on a 2 week stay in California. Before I left DK I had planned that my 1000th cache should be found exactly 365 days after I found #1.

Well, it didn't go as planned - in fact it went even better, so that I could log my 1000th cache on the 14th of april 2011 - 9 days before my 'deadline' - it was Howdy-Doo Hollywood - just below the Hollywood Sign :)