Geocaching Milestones?

jgc3

Hi all,

I recently had a very enjoyable experience sharing a milestone with a fellow geocacher.

And have since shared another milestone with them. This got me thinking.. do you have

a special milestone story or do you not really worry about them? Would be interested

in your opinions as I'm running an article for my geocaching magazine and would appreciate

feedback.

Thanks

Hi all,

I recently had a very enjoyable experience sharing a milestone with a fellow geocacher.

And have since shared another milestone with them. This got me thinking.. do you have

a special milestone story or do you not really worry about them? Would be interested

in your opinions as I'm running an article for my geocaching magazine and would appreciate

feedback.

Thanks

# 100 was special as I found it after a meet and greet and mentioned that the next one would be #100. I was told of a great cache that I should find, so after I left and on my way home I stopped and made it #100. Surprise the folks from the event had rushed there and left me a special swag item. :smile: The cache will always be special.

#100 was found at one of my favorite GA state parks with one of my very best friends. What makes it so special is that due to my husband's military reassignment, we left GA for AR 4 years ago and hadn't camped there in 6 years. My friend lives in NC and is one of my camping club buddies; we haven't seen each other in 2 years. #100 turned out to be the first of 3 we got as part of a 4 mile hike. Not bad for a couple of 40+ out of shape girls, lol.

#500 was just over the weekend @ Psycho Urban Cache #13. A climb up the sheer face of a pillar in the middle of the Potomac River alongside my boyfriend on another rope, he's a cacher also.

When I first started geocaching I had no idea I'd do anything this insane. Now I love climbing, never thought I would!

Hi thanks for the post. I am looking at milestones a little different now and planning to do certain caches unlike early on that I would just get to a point because it was the next closest. Would like to hear more about your 900th when you're there. Good luck.

All my milestones are special by design. Hopefully next month i will log #900 at Petra, which is some where i have wanted to go my whole life.

Wow. A special swag item. Now that's cool. Thanks for sharing.

Hi all,

feedback.

Thanks

# 100 was special as I found it after a meet and greet and mentioned that the next one would be #100. I was told of a great cache that I should find, so after I left and on my way home I stopped and made it #100. Surprise the folks from the event had rushed there and left me a special swag item. :smile: The cache will always be special.

Now that's a decent hike. Well done. Thanks for the post.

#100 was found at one of my favorite GA state parks with one of my very best friends. What makes it so special is that due to my husband's military reassignment, we left GA for AR 4 years ago and hadn't camped there in 6 years. My friend lives in NC and is one of my camping club buddies; we haven't seen each other in 2 years. #100 turned out to be the first of 3 we got as part of a 4 mile hike. Not bad for a couple of 40+ out of shape girls, lol.

Sounds awesome. I just did a feature on extreme caches GC1W8V3 and others and it sounds like yours should of been in there.

Look likie to hear more of the adventure. Thanks.

#500 was just over the weekend @ Psycho Urban Cache #13. A climb up the sheer face of a pillar in the middle of the Potomac River alongside my boyfriend on another rope, he's a cacher also.

When I first started geocaching I had no idea I'd do anything this insane. Now I love climbing, never thought I would!

Yes that must of been frustrating. Getting near 500 that's a great effort. Thanks for the post.

I was saving #300 to be the Mission 9 APE cache. It was stolen a weekend before my flight to WA. :(

Other than that - no special plans yet. I may try to something interesting for #500 though.

Just had a read of the listing. Sounds like a bit of a climb for sure! Thanks for the message.

Didn't plan any of them but number 1 will always be special....number 100 was a real nice one in a nice area with a real clever container....a favorite.

GC1BA91 "The Checks in the Mail"

So now you have to heat up the caches to get into them. lol. sounds like an amazing adventure. Thanks for the post.

I chose #1000 to be one of the oldest caches in our area(oldest still active). A nice hike on December 31st to complete my goal of finding #1000 before the end of the year. Cache was semi-frozen but we still had a good time.

We've just recently passed 200 that I am pleased with, but 500 is amazing. Would appreciated hearing more about your find later. Thanks for sharing.

We are at the beach near Charleston, SC. and are 4 away from 500. We plan on finding http://coord.info/GC2MK1K for 500. it looks to be a 1.5 mile hike up the coast where its very secluded. Should be fun as we already solved it.

Yes I certainly understand. I often think of the first find. Was a thrill to discover this other world out there!

Thanks for the post.

Mine was find #1. It changed my life. Everything else is just plain statistics ...

We've just recently passed 200 that I am pleased with, but 500 is amazing. Would appreciated hearing more about your find later. Thanks for sharing.

We are at the beach near Charleston, SC. and are 4 away from 500. We plan on finding http://coord.info/GC2MK1K for 500. it looks to be a 1.5 mile hike up the coast where its very secluded. Should be fun as we already solved it.

Yes I certainly understand. I often think of the first find. Was a thrill to discover this other world out there! Thanks for the post.

Mine was find #1. It changed my life. Everything else is just plain statistics ...

You know, it's very easy to do multiquote. Just hit "MultiQuote" on the posts you want to quote and then hit "Use Full Editor" at the bottom.

(The quotes are there just to show how it would look)

On topic, I don't bother with milestones. Probably because I don't have any yet.

Wow. You weren't kidding. Nice long log, although I like longer "story" type logs.

Mind if I use your log in the mag? :)

Thanks for the post.

I like picking out special caches for major milestones and have had a lot of good times doing so. #4000 was especially adventurous however and is my longest log ever.

Thanks for the tip. Had not used multiquote before. Cheers.

Yes I certainly understand. I often think of the first find. Was a thrill to discover this other world out there! Thanks for the post.

You know, it's very easy to do multiquote. Just hit "MultiQuote" on the posts you want to quote and then hit "Use Full Editor" at the bottom.

(The quotes are there just to show how it would look)

On topic, I don't bother with milestones. Probably because I don't have any yet.

My 100th find was a wonderful milestone. I even put off finding it for a while because it was unavailable for a bit. Now, it's closed down completely to protect the area from White Nose disease, which is plaguing the bat population. I was brought to the cave during a geology field trip back in high school with the best teacher known to mankind. I turned lose a travel bug honoring him, and got my 100th find. It was a great day. You can see the details here, at Burksville Cave

We don't pay much attention to them. My work schedule doesn't allow planning as such. My cache truck TB visits our milestone caches whatever they end up being.

There's a 1000 Steps cache nearby that most folks save for their 1000th. We did it at 300 something.

We just wing it.

We travel a fair bit so most of my milestones have been at interesting locations.

#100 on Pulau Ubin, a jungle island in the Straits of Johor GCZX4W

#200 Everglades GCHNAQ

#300 Original Stash Plaque GCGV0P

#400 Montana GCJ5JR

#500 Grand Cayman GC1HWTT

#600 Back to Singapore for GCQ1BA

#700 A lakeside cache in the Swiss Alps GC1HMMG

#800 Dordogne region of France GCPTN3

#900 An old gold mining camp in southern AZ GC5E3

#1000 A milestone among milestones, found at the top of Mauna Kea at 13,712' amsl, part of a great visit to a place we always wanted to see GC3D6D

And so on...

It really is about the journey and the companionship (every one of these was found with Susancycle and many were done by bicycle)

I wish mine had been as memorable as some of these... But honestly I think they're only memorable because of the numbers. I can remember #1, #2, #50, #100, #200, #300, and #400 without checking my milestones. But really... #100 was just a parking lot micro (not an LPC at least), #200 was a fairly large ammo can in urban Houston, TX (I guess that's impressive), #300 was a very unique front-yard cache in Indiana, and #400 was an extremely disappointing virtual.

Finally finding what was our first DNF was neat. A milestone of sorts. Reaching triple digits was something we couldn't imagine in the beginning - but I couldn't tell you which cache it was without checking. Into the 4 digits, and I still love finding places I would never have known if it weren't for our hobby. First nano was a milestone, as was an extremely well camouflaged lock and lock.

Great milestone. Certainly sounds memorable. Thanks for sharing and the link. I will put this one in the mag. Cheers

My 100th find was a wonderful milestone. I even put off finding it for a while because it was unavailable for a bit. Now, it's closed down completely to protect the area from White Nose disease, which is plaguing the bat population. I was brought to the cave during a geology field trip back in high school with the best teacher known to mankind. I turned lose a travel bug honoring him, and got my 100th find. It was a great day. You can see the details here, at Burksville Cave

Just wing it? Sounds good.. The great thing about caching.. just do it the way you enjoy.. not too many right or wrongs.. thanks for the post.

We don't pay much attention to them. My work schedule doesn't allow planning as such. My cache truck TB visits our milestone caches whatever they end up being.

There's a 1000 Steps cache nearby that most folks save for their 1000th. We did it at 300 something.

We just wing it.

Checked out the cache listing. Thanks. I really enjoy caches that have a hike and beautiful location.. thanks for the post.. much appreciated..

My favorite milestone was #2000 when I found The 'G' Spot (GC470) :D

It is high up on a mountainside that I can see from my house. The hike was nice, the views were awesome, and the find was rewarding.

oops! he forgot!

Find #2922 will be a milestone for me. It will represent 8 years of averaging a cache a day. I should hit it well before my 8th anneversary in December of 2012.

You know you can edit posts, right?;)

Thanks for the post. Not sure where that is.. but I know FTF's aren't quite as easy to get as they once were!

I am deployed to Honduras. I was at 699 prior to coming down here. My wife came down and we went to Roatan. My 700 was out of the U.S. in Roatan. I had a chance at a FTF but it was on the other end of the island. Couldn't make it there.

You're doing great. I have had a slow down in being able to get out as much as I'd like.. but still get out when I can.. and still enjoy the hunt.. and have managed to introduce a number of previously "muggles" to the sport. Thanks for the post.

It seemed like forever to reach 100, but that first milestone was in an old cemetery in East L.A. I also made it the launching of my first TB (Cemetary Visitor). My 1000th milestone was at a water tower overlooking Rose Hills Cemetery.

Now that is cool. I'd like to know a little more about your caching with a bike. Can you perhaps post some pictures?

Would like to do something in my magazine about it.. sounds interesting.. thanks for sharing.

We travel a fair bit so most of my milestones have been at interesting locations.

#100 on Pulau Ubin, a jungle island in the Straits of Johor GCZX4W

#200 Everglades GCHNAQ

#300 Original Stash Plaque GCGV0P

#400 Montana GCJ5JR

#500 Grand Cayman GC1HWTT

#600 Back to Singapore for GCQ1BA

#700 A lakeside cache in the Swiss Alps GC1HMMG

#800 Dordogne region of France GCPTN3

#900 An old gold mining camp in southern AZ GC5E3

#1000 A milestone among milestones, found at the top of Mauna Kea at 13,712' amsl, part of a great visit to a place we always wanted to see GC3D6D

And so on...

It really is about the journey and the companionship (every one of these was found with Susancycle and many were done by bicycle)

Certainly some of my most favourite caches were not milestones, but recently have had a great time with some milestones so my thinking has changed a little so I may plan my next milestone which I have not really done in the past.. thanks for the post..

I wish mine had been as memorable as some of these... But honestly I think they're only memorable because of the numbers. I can remember #1, #2, #50, #100, #200, #300, and #400 without checking my milestones. But really... #100 was just a parking lot micro (not an LPC at least), #200 was a fairly large ammo can in urban Houston, TX (I guess that's impressive), #300 was a very unique front-yard cache in Indiana, and #400 was an extremely disappointing virtual.

Now that's interesting. I don't remember what my first DNF was, but we found one the last week that was one that we'd looked for almost every time we went past and almost gave up again and then we got it.. it was certainly a DNF type milestone feeling.. getting one off the list we'd thought we're never going to find. Thanks for the post.

Finally finding what was our first DNF was neat. A milestone of sorts. Reaching triple digits was something we couldn't imagine in the beginning - but I couldn't tell you which cache it was without checking. Into the 4 digits, and I still love finding places I would never have known if it weren't for our hobby. First nano was a milestone, as was an extremely well camouflaged lock and lock.

Thank you. Will do. :)

Wow. You weren't kidding. Nice long log, although I like longer "story" type logs.

Mind if I use your log in the mag? :)

Thanks for the post.

I like picking out special caches for major milestones and have had a lot of good times doing so. #4000 was especially adventurous however and is my longest log ever.

Sure, go ahead. :)