GPSMap 62s and microSD card

I recently installed a Kingston 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD Flash Card into my Garmin GPSMap 62s. When I use Garmin MapInstall it doesn't seen to recognize the additional space. When I plug the GPSr into my computer it recognizes the microSD card and the GPSr.

If I load items directly onto the microSD will they be visible to the GPSr? What about Birdseye? When I download imagery it gets loaded onto the unit. Is there a way to load it directly into the mircorSD card? Why doesn't MapInstall see the microSD?

Thanks for the help. Apparently these are things that Garmin doesn't see fit to include in the owners manual.

I recently installed a Kingston 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD Flash Card into my Garmin GPSMap 62s. When I use Garmin MapInstall it doesn't seen to recognize the additional space. When I plug the GPSr into my computer it recognizes the microSD card and the GPSr.

If I load items directly onto the microSD will they be visible to the GPSr? What about Birdseye? When I download imagery it gets loaded onto the unit. Is there a way to load it directly into the mircorSD card? Why doesn't MapInstall see the microSD?

Thanks for the help. Apparently these are things that Garmin doesn't see fit to include in the owners manual.

My 62s lists the SD card as a Removable Disk. I can tell Mapsource to use this Disk instead of the internal which is named Garmin GPSMAP 62s.

Should be the same for you (at last if the 62s can handle the 16BG card, I'm not sure about it and don't have the manual nearby)

However I usualy use my Card Reader to transfere the maps to the SD Cars because its a lot of faster than the transfere via the GPS, a few gigs take an awafull ong time otherwhise.

As long as you put the files in the right directories you can even upload them with the Explorer.

Map files needs to go to

garmin\

GPX files needs to go to

garmin\GPX\

Thanks for the reply. I think between your post and my experiments I figured it out. For some reason using Basecamp for Birdseye imagery or MapInstall for 24K topos the microSD card isn't visible as a storage device. But using the computer I can see both the GPSr and the microSD card. If I move things from the GPSr storge to the microSD the GPSr recognizes the maps automatically when I boot it up.

Hi hope some one can help me

got the 62s coming in the mail but no idea want MicroSD card to get

this want i like to place on the card few maps topo and some city nav

then some POI and the GPX flies from GSAK

for when i go on holidays

so want kind microSDHC? will a Class 6 or 10 work?

8GB or 16Gb will they work

anyhelp would be great

thanks

LWM

Hello LWM,

I recently bought a 16GB class 10 MicroSD for my GPSmap 62s and it works fine. This is what I bought at Amazon:

Kingston 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD Flash Card with 2 Adapters (Mini and SD) SDC10/16GB-2ADP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036V78E6

You can buy cheaper ones but I wanted to get a slightly faster class 10 card. I don't know if it really makes a difference but I like to think so. Either way it works fine for me.

LBD

Thanks for the reply. I think between your post and my experiments I figured it out. For some reason using Basecamp for Birdseye imagery or MapInstall for 24K topos the microSD card isn't visible as a storage device. But using the computer I can see both the GPSr and the microSD card. If I move things from the GPSr storge to the microSD the GPSr recognizes the maps automatically when I boot it up.

Help! i do not understand the same is happing to me! got my new MicroSDHC 8gb class 10 card.When i placed in the adabter then into my computer, works great, says Sd card and can open easy read. so i formated it,then i made a folder garmin to place maps on.Easy!

Ok placed into my GPS62s took a long time to show on MY COMPUTER Folder, the Internal folder showing nice blue triangle, but the SDcard says removable drive (G) that must be it, i click on it runs and runs then said insert cd in driver, then i canzel and my computer frezzes up!

Ok, should show up on Basecamp! NO! only the GPS, so tried Mapsource great shows up has Removable Media (G)

Want am i doing wrong? i would like it to read in the gps, taking it out all the time is a pain.

Please can anybody help me

thanks

Labrador Wild Man

What about Birdseye? When I download imagery it gets loaded onto the unit. Is there a way to load it directly into the mircorSD card?

That's a malfunction of BaseCamp. It doesn't like to store Birdseye images to the uSD card on download. To speed things up, I always have the download done to the PC without storing to the GPS, then have BaseCamp transfer the Birdseye images to the uSD card as a second step (which BaseCamp is willing to do - it just doesn't like to do it on-the-fly during the download). This two step method is a lot faster than having to do the device-to-device copy from your internal memory to the uSD card, and besides, you'll run out of internal memory soon enough if you load up on Birdseye images at highest resolution.

You can buy cheaper ones but I wanted to get a slightly faster class 10 card. I don't know if it really makes a difference but I like to think so.

Experiments with the Oregon series indicate that anything faster than a Class 6 is overkill, and Class 4 slows things down slightly. Class 2 is a train wreck. 6 seems to be the sweet spot. Given that the 62 has less to render at a time, I wouldn't think there is any reason why it would need faster access to the uSD than the Oregon.

It worked great well was short lived

1.still will not show in basecamp that is all devices not a thing yet check MY Computer all there.

2.Tried to make new folder on SD card when in GPS just will not load on

3.Did a safe remove from computer but GPS locked up on UBS screen had to take batterers out.

But load folder and maps back only using the SD adapter

see there is a lot of growing pains glad it is know and not when i am ready to use for geocaching yet!

again any help please

thanks

LWM

1.still will not show in basecamp that is all devices not a thing yet check MY Computer all there.

2.Tried to make new folder on SD card when in GPS just will not load on

I am struggling with the combination of statements #1 and #2. You CAN see BOTH the internal memory of your unit and its uSD card when using My Computer? But you CANNOT use your computer to create a new folder on your uSD card? If both are true, at least that gives us a starting point for understanding your malfunction.