GPS with a large screen

I use the Magellan eXplorist GC and love it! It is perfect for me.... but my hubby on the other hand... can not see the screen, it is too small. Can anyone suggest a GPS that has a larger screen, that is still accurate, easy to use and not outrageously expensive?

Thanx

Susanne

(Webber of webberpalmer)

Reminds me of the old "You can choose 2: cheap, fast or good, but not all three". The Garmin Montana has the largest screen and the best features, and is almost (but not quite) stable in the firmware department ... but it ain't cheap.

I use the Magellan eXplorist GC and love it! It is perfect for me.... but my hubby on the other hand... can not see the screen, it is too small. Can anyone suggest a GPS that has a larger screen, that is still accurate, easy to use and not outrageously expensive?

Thanx

Susanne

(Webber of webberpalmer)

It's true you have to choose as there is a real stall of good hiking ect. units on the market. With that said there are some discontinued units that still work very well with larger screens and nice functions. I would look at this Garmin series used on craigslist.

GPSmap 276c: 376c: 278: 378: 478:

Get a Nuvi, cheap, large screen, accurate, come with CN, an auto plug and window mount, has a good speaker

As you might expect, no free lunch.

Cons:

- not waterproof

- fixed battery with limited life ~4 hrs

- Crappy visibility in full sunlight

- Some effort needed to port caching software

GPSmap 276c: 376c: 278: 378: 478:

These are not high sensitivity receivers. Not recommended.

Actually they arent bad unless you have very heavy tree cover. I do multi state offroad motorcycle races by waypoints alone. If its good enough for that than its more than capable of a little geocaching.

Thanx

Susanne

(Webber of webberpalmer)

Maybe hubby needs to do like me and get a pair of reading glasses. B)

Finding polo shirts with pockets can be a challenge, though!

Indeed, no pocket no sale. Lately Jersey vs Pique knit is hard to find, again no Pique, no sale

At the risk of turning this into a fashion thread ... last time I had any luck was Dillards, but not lately. You have one of those on your side of the Divide? Per Lacoste, pockets somehow became passé a number of years ago. As the market starts getting older, just watch...

But back to the thread...

One thing I haven't asked those who are now using the Montana is whether the increased screen size comes with a commensurate increase in font size. Is everything bigger, or are you just seeing more on the screen at once? I can't get a handle on this from the screen shots I've been seeing here.

At the risk of turning this into a fashion thread ... last time I had any luck was Dillards, but not lately. You have one of those on your side of the Divide? Per Lacoste, pockets somehow became passé a number of years ago. As the market starts getting older, just watch...

Actually, I'm on the east side of the divide, ~15 miles, U Arkansas. Wal-Mart was my source until they switched to Jersey, too hot. :(

One thing I haven't asked those who are now using the Montana is whether the increased screen size comes with a commensurate increase in font size. Is everything bigger, or are you just seeing more on the screen at once? I can't get a handle on this from the screen shots I've been seeing here.

Do the math, I know you are either an engineer or scientist. Here's a Excel display table I did once for that very reason:

GarminCompare.gif

I'm sure the Montana has bigger pixels than the CO/OR, the display is very impressive from the pics I've seen, but neither the weight or cost will get me to move from my OR 450. http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=22935#158947

My next GPS will likely be a GPS enabled camera like the Canon SX230, will do a tracklog, geo-tag and has a 14X zoom, but no maps.

Consider getting a 7" Android tablet for Geocaching? I've been using a 7" Viewsonic Viewpad for about a month now & really loving it! Sure it isn't rugged or waterproof, but I got it for $300 new & it's GPSr accuracy is quite good. It even has a 3-axis compass & is awesome to watch Geocaches go by in augmented reality mode using Lucus Pro software (..just ~$5 for that!)

And if you don't already have a tablet you may discover (like I did!) you'll suddenly have dozens of other neat uses for the little gadget! I stress the word "little" as it is quite smaller than something like an iPad, & is quite easy to carry in 1 hand.

Maybe hubby needs to do like me and get a pair of reading glasses. B)

I was in denial for the first year or so, but finally realized that life was too short. That was 12 years ago. Finding polo shirts with pockets can be a challenge, though!

I wouldn't be caught dead in a polo shirt, pocket or not. READING GLASSES HANG AROUND YOUR NECK! That is all I have to say. Now, back to the topic at hand...

A bit of a crappy image but here is a Montana 650, Oregon 450, and a Magellan GC all displaying the "find a cache" page. To answer your question.....its both.

IMG_03401.jpg

Edited by savant9