Trackables

Ronster and Monsters

Someone, please, explain to me something about trackables...

I thought that trackables (coins, bugs, tags, etc.) were meant to be left in caches and float around from cache to cache - some with specific "missions". What I'm finding, as a new cacher, is that a lot of people keep their tags (maybe it's certain ones?) and log them in themselves from cache to cache. It's a little confusing. I've purchase some that I liked, but have been reluctant to leave them anywhere because I have not found any to trade out. I'm now worried about spending the money and leaving the trackable, only to have it end up in someone's personal collection.

I purchased some very cool coins that I want to share (http://www.geocaching..., but am hopeful for an "apple to apple" type of swap. I haven't found that to be the case in my 20-some odd cache finds.

So... What are you supposed to do? What is the purpose of keeping your tags on/with you, yet logging them in whenever you find a cache (or, in the case of the "bug bath", discovering them)? Are tags supposed to be attached to an item or do you just drop the tag in the cache? Do people trade the more expensive coins and tags at events?

Someone, please, explain to me something about trackables...

I thought that trackables (coins, bugs, tags, etc.) were meant to be left in caches and float around from cache to cache - some with specific "missions". What I'm finding, as a new cacher, is that a lot of people keep their tags (maybe it's certain ones?) and log them in themselves from cache to cache. It's a little confusing. I've purchase some that I liked, but have been reluctant to leave them anywhere because I have not found any to trade out. I'm now worried about spending the money and leaving the trackable, only to have it end up in someone's personal collection.

I purchased some very cool coins that I want to share (http://www.geocaching..., but am hopeful for an "apple to apple" type of swap. I haven't found that to be the case in my 20-some odd cache finds.

So... What are you supposed to do? What is the purpose of keeping your tags on/with you, yet logging them in whenever you find a cache (or, in the case of the "bug bath", discovering them)? Are tags supposed to be attached to an item or do you just drop the tag in the cache? Do people trade the more expensive coins and tags at events?

I sent out a really nice Mt, Whitney geocoin that only made it from Oregon to Illinois. It was picked up by a new cacher who hasn't cached since. It's been almost a month. I might need to write it off. These are the chances we take. I have another TB that I've attached to my Cache Bag. I log it as 'visited' to every cache I find. It's kinda neat to have a personal that you keep and are able to see the map of your travels. Some people buy coins and take them to meets for trading like baseball cards. You don't need to leave a coin to take one. just take it and try to move it on in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm preparing to make a 5x5 hide and will put in a new unactivated coin for the FTF. TBs and Geocoins are for whatever strikes your fancy, but original intent is to send them out into the wild and see how far they go.

As Rckhnd said some cacher use trackable to keep track of there personal mileages. They dip it into each cache they visit. Other will take the TB that they pick up with the to each cache until they find one to drop it off, this add millage for the TB.

A lot of trackable do disappear, some by newbies that don't know what to do with them or do not go cacheing again. Some get forgot in caching bags and will show back up in month to years in the future. And other by thieves, never to be seen again.

Trackable in caches are NOT trade items! You do not need to do an apple to apple trade. Or do you want to trade other geocoin owner for your coins? If your looking for trade check out the Geocoin forum.