MEGAPIRATEMANIA

It always clashes with Scout Camp (which we run) Sorry to miss it but huge congrats on going MEGA... Cheers MaxKim :D :D :D

Despite living 12 miles from its now permenant home we also have something on the same weekend every year so not sure if we will ever get there.:(

But a huge well done. :D

Or maybe seventh / eigth / ninth / tenth... or maybe not at all... we decided not to be so presumptious until we got the numbers B) Good luck with that though :)

Anyway... back on topic...

We've only got limited portions of Satan's Ashes (renamed Blackbeard's Ashes) so see me on arrival if you are brave enough to earn the doubloons that go with eating the world's hottest curry :lol:

343318_1.jpg

Edited by PopUpPirate

Mark and I have been absolutely gobsmacked by the amount of support we have received for Piratemania this year, from regular attendees, new attendees, UK reviewers, mega event committee members, even from people who are not able to join us this year but wish they could. Piratemania has grown from year to year ... it was abundantly clear to us at the first Piratemania that we needed a bigger campsite; we got that for the second year but figured we needed a campsite with better facilities and with less mud (and a bit more luck with the weather) and the third year we found ourselves, by invitation, at the location where we are at this year. Last year, they did us proud. :) They welcomed us with open arms, they went out of their way to make sure that everything was just as we needed it, and this year we have experienced the same welcome. Nothing is too much trouble and even the silliest of requests have been met.

We love geocaching! We love geocachers! We love PIRATEMANIA! We are so looking forward to this weekend! Piratemania is all about people with a common hobby G.E.O.C.A.C.H.I.N.G getting together, having some good fun, going out caching on the existing trails and the new one we have put out for you all this year, flying our flags on the rally field, getting really giddy .... the emphasis being on FUN! After all, that is what geocaching is all about for most of us. :) At the time of typing, we have over 550 567 people who have logged a Will Attend, the campsite have taken bookings for 166 pitches, and there are still more who have yet to book. Extra toilet facilities have been drafted in, and an overflow field has been opened up just in case! If you haven't logged a Will Attend, there is still time! We would love to see you there! Yarrrrrrrrrrrrr!

(Just a bit about mega status .... we have not been at all presumptuous in this. We are applying for mega status in retrospect and hope that we have everything in place for this to be met with a favourable decision. We have been staggered by the response for Piratemania IV .... but it is what it is because of GEOCACHERS! Thanks to everyone for your support - here's to a cracking weekend!) :) Liane :)

Edited by The Cache Hoppers
Is the Mega status official? I ask because the listing still shows as a standard event and I'll need to update Geolympix.com to 'the UK's sixth Mega' (status TBC) rather than fifth if Groundspeak have confirmed Mega status for this year's 'PirateMegia'. Thanks. :)

Or maybe seventh / eigth / ninth / tenth... or maybe not at all... we decided not to be so presumptious until we got the numbers B) Good luck with that though :)

Thank you for that answer. We'll leave it as fifth until we're informed otherwise. Good luck with it. Sincerely.

Thank you Paul for your good wishes. I do wonder though .... as Piratemania is so big this year, I believe it puts us in a very good position for gaining mega status next year. As you are planning on holding your event, and likewise we wish you luck with it, on the same weekend as Piratemania V, I am not entirely sure how it can be 5th, 6th, or whatever, I am losing count. There is of course always a possibility that another regular event before then may evolve into attracting over 500 attendees. Who knows what other people have planned? :)

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Thank you Paul for your good wishes. I do wonder though .... as Piratemania is so big this year, I believe it puts us in a very good position for gaining mega status next year. As you are planning on holding your event, and likewise we wish you luck with it, on the same weekend as Piratemania V, I am not entirely sure how it can be 5th, 6th, or whatever, I am losing count. There is of course always a possibility that another regular event before then may evolve into attracting over 500 attendees. Who knows what other people have planned? :)

Blimey, four Mega's in a year :o

Blimey, four Mega's in a year :o

Four? I can think of one, and two further contenders.... but four?

The date of the Geolympix has been out there since August 2009, but even then a Mega Piratemania was being talked about, and the date and location of it seem pretty fixed. I wasn't having a pop about the status, I just wanted clarity for the reason I stated. I now understand the situation better - thank you Liane.

As it stands, there will have been four Megas in the UK ahead of the Geolympix. This will become five if Piratemania is one this year. As the NW Mega is after the Geolympix, that's not a factor. There's still a possibility the Geolympix won't be a Mega but we're promoting it as such because, thus far, that's been the feedback from Groundspeak.

Back on topic, I'm sure you've all the checks and balances processes in place to ensure you're able to get the status retrospectively, as well as enough attendees. I know Groundspeak are keen to see the physical evidence as well as online longs. A big pirate map for everyone to sign, perhaps? Just a thought.

546 signed in to MegaPirateMania

41 dogs

3 cats

2 parrots

and a snake :D

All signed in today by us and will be annotated in red and copies sent to Groundspeak for verification as stated in their instructions. :D

A great day

Lilian & Tony - Mollyjak

Congratulations to Mark and Liane and thank you for all your hard work

I hate the lot of you .................. :unsure:

because I couldn't go

Next year Mike :D

I won't tell you how I had a fantastic time with lots of friends, made a lot more and chatted lots and STILL not over as we are still there :D

'cos if i do you will ban me :-)

I had a great time, thank you.

Well done to everyone involved for organising a fantastic weekend.

I have posted some of my photos in a Flickr group here. Please feel free to add your own to the group. It turns out most of my photos were travel bug codes from flags & cars etc so I only have a few I can show. I must remember next year, more pirate photos lol

Thanks all for the great comments, it really makes it all worthwhile... without you, we'd be nothing! Massive thanks to the team captains, in scoring order, The Flying Boots (The Crimson Corsairs) for absurd levels of skullduggery and doubloon thievery that won the day, re-wristbanding rebels and shanghai'ing them into their crew. Lollybob for being the (not so) evil team (Black Barbaries) and putting signs up around camp telling tales of disqualifications and treason. TheOtherStu and Autumn Tiger (The Purple Plunderers) for a fab gazebo central and lots of load arrrring louder than the megaphone. Delta68 (The Bronze Buccaneers) for being the bravest navvies on the high seas, for pitching next to Scurvy Square and having first sight of all the goings on.

Peak Gateway were fantastic as ever, in particular Ian (Studlyone) for constantly having a smile on his face... nothing is too much trouble, extra loos were put on just for us, a marquee was erected, tables and chairs were laid out, flags were put around the site. Many sites go round dictating rules, this was the polar opposite, nothing was a problem, everything was doable, little requests were met with a "Not a problem give me five minutes" and everything was sorted. Kathy and Loueze were lovely as ever and provided some extra-special Piratey tags for the event, and printed free maps of the new caches. Bob on camp was only spoke to fleetingly but was already asking what more could they do for us next time... fabulous.

And last of those taking a direct part in proceedings - but certainly not least - go to team Mollyjak for handling the registration process with aplomb, ensuring that there were no chinks in the mega armour and that everything was done to a tee. A full days solid graft which really took the pressure off us, and ensured that the event got its newfound status with ease.

Thanks to the reviewers who have been nothing but helpful - special thanks to Geohatter for support and encouragement at the event itself, and latterly to Deceangi also who has been ace.

Jeremy was a star too, after meeting him at the Mollyjak event he spoke to us, Mollyjak and Geohatter then went to his hotel room that night and awarded Mega status himself - cheers!!!

It's also been confirmed now that as an established event and proven Mega, we can get instant Mega status on publishing the event... so the pressure is well and truly on us to provide an even BIGGER and BETTER event next year :P