60CSx and tracks

Every now and again, I save my tracks of where I've been, but I don't feel the need to do so all the time. I just turn the tracks on/off on the tracks page. I've always been able to bring the data back into MapSource later and see the tracks perfectly.

Well, a friend of mine talked me into hitting the save button on the track page, that I've never used before. He said that I can't see the individual tracks on the unit otherwise, and I suppose that's true. I've never really needed to before.

Well, now when I try to bring them into MapSource from the GPS unit, all the tracks are connected, with big lines crossing every which way all over the place, and I know it's somehow related.

Is there a way to undo or fix this mess, maybe clean it up or un-connect everything? I can't see my important information in the manner I want.

Use the Track Divide Tool in Mapsource. Zoom in on each end of the "connecting line" and cut it with the tool...then delete the line.

Better to save your tracks by logging them to the data card....see pages 27-28 of your manual.

Every now and again, I save my tracks of where I've been, but I don't feel the need to do so all the time. I just turn the tracks on/off on the tracks page. I've always been able to bring the data back into MapSource later and see the tracks perfectly.

Well, a friend of mine talked me into hitting the save button on the track page, that I've never used before. He said that I can't see the individual tracks on the unit otherwise, and I suppose that's true. I've never really needed to before.

Well, now when I try to bring them into MapSource from the GPS unit, all the tracks are connected, with big lines crossing every which way all over the place, and I know it's somehow related.

Is there a way to undo or fix this mess, maybe clean it up or un-connect everything? I can't see my important information in the manner I want.

Use the Track Divide Tool in Mapsource. Zoom in on each end of the "connecting line" and cut it with the tool...then delete the line.

Better to save your tracks by logging them to the data card....see pages 27-28 of your manual.

Better to save them to the data card than what? Does it involve that save button and then having to cut the lines later?

I haven't seen my manual in 3 years, I have no idea where it is.

Better to save them to the data card than what? Does it involve that save button and then having to cut the lines later?

I haven't seen my manual in 3 years, I have no idea where it is.

Google "log track to data card"

Most manufactures have manuals for their products online. Download it from Garmin's site. The next thing to do is study it.

Edited by rws
What I want to know is why tracks are truncated to only 500 points when you save them.

Yea... Thats a bummer but you can get around that by renaming the track you want to load to ACTIVE LOG. It can then be a single track of 10,000 points.

What I meant was when I save a track of, say, 3000 points, I want all 3000 points for the resolution and not just 500. I want to see every last "nook and cranny" on Google Earth, for example. If I rename a saved track (that's been truncated to 500 points) "ACTIVE LOG" on the computer, where are these points beyond the 500 coming from? Can't put that data back once it's "lost in translation" from the device to the computer/Mapsource.

What I want to know is why tracks are truncated to only 500 points when you save them.

Yea... Thats a bummer but you can get around that by renaming the track you want to load to ACTIVE LOG. It can then be a single track of 10,000 points.

What I meant was when I save a track of, say, 3000 points, I want all 3000 points for the resolution and not just 500. I want to see every last "nook and cranny" on Google Earth, for example. If I rename a saved track (that's been truncated to 500 points) "ACTIVE LOG" on the computer, where are these points beyond the 500 coming from? Can't put that data back once it's "lost in translation" from the device to the computer/Mapsource.

Don't save your tracks to the GPSr unless you have some reason to do so. In any case, set up tracking so the tracks are saved as .gpx files on the data card in the 60CSx. Each time you turn tracking on and off it will be saved to the card with all the track points and all the other data. When you download those tracks to MapSource they will be listed as ACTIVE LOG, ACTIVE LOG 001, ACTIVE LOG 002...etc. You can manipulate them and rename them in MapSource. If you reload them back to the 60CSx from MapSource any track over 500 points will be truncated to 500 points on the GPSr. IF you send them back to the unit with a name like ACTIVE LOG, all the points will transfer. Note: ACTIVE LOG in all caps.