Saved Tracks & Track Log

Anguspapa & Pacomama

I own a Garmin Vanture and after reading the instructions several times I'm still not sure what "Saved Tracks" and "Track Log", under map settings are for. They both show the same thing Off, Auto, then measurements i.E. 10,20,30 and so on. I think that one represents how long of a trail will be shown on the map screen, but which one and then what is the other one for. Can someone help me with this better then the instructions do. icon_confused.gif Thank you for you help.

[This message was edited by Anguspapa & Pacomama on February 27, 2003 at 06:16 PM.]

Track log is a continuous track that runs all the time if it is on. Tracks can be so long depending on your unit and when they reach their max length, they either wrap and the oldest section is erased while the newest is recorded. or they just start over depending on how you have your unit set. Saved tracks is when you save an active track to memory to download later to maps or for further use in the GPS.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

With the track feature in your GPSR, you have various settings as you mentioned. The "off" position means the unit will not record your track. "Auto" allows the unit to create a track by recording points (lat/long coordinates) whenever required. If you are travelling in a straight line then a point will only be created when you deviate from the straight line of travel like making a turn in your car or while hiking and the trail turns off. If you want a very accurate track like mapping a new trail then you would choose at what distance interval a point is made regardless of direction of travel. I believe some units give you a choice of either distance interval or time interval.

To address your other question, as you are moving the unit is recording an "active tracklog". At any time you can "save" the active track. An example would be your track from your parked car to a cache and back that you may wish to download later to your mapping software like Mapsource. When you get back home to your PC you can delete the active tracklogs and then download just your saved track. Once thing that does happen when you save a track is your GPSR will eliminate some track points that it feels are not required. This is usually no big deal except if you want as much accuracy as possible in your track record then you would want to download the "active track" from the unit before saving.

Hope this answers your question. Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"