YAWSIB post. Was: I am in a knot

Then I heard the learning curve for the PN's is pretty steep that knot (I think it's a slip knot) got tighter. ...

Thanks Tim

Most of the steepness comments were made concerning the bundled Topo NA 9.0 mapping application. In the fullness of time, these comments are no longer applicable for geocaching endeavors. The retail package now includes 5 region DVDs which are used to install the detail, region maps directly to the PN-40 and -60 handheld GPSrs. Consequently, one does not even have to install the Topo NA 9.0 application on their PC in order to commence paperless geocaching.

In the $200-$250 range I really like the Dakota 20. It is super easy to use and has just about every feature you might want for Geocaching. You can add in free maps from GPS File Depot so don't be to concerned with the maps. You might also look at its bigger brother the Oregon 450 which adds a bigger screen, more resolution, and Wherigo support. It retails for $300 but every once in a while you see a deal. Currently there is a $50 rebate on the Oregon going on until October bringing it down into your price range.

Then I heard the learning curve for the PN's is pretty steep that knot (I think it's a slip knot) got tighter. ...

Thanks Tim

Most of the steepness comments were made concerning the bundled Topo NA 9.0 mapping application. In the fullness of time, these comments are no longer applicable for geocaching endeavors. The retail package now includes 5 region DVDs which are used to install the detail, region maps directly to the PN-40 and -60 handheld GPSrs. Consequently, one does not even have to install the Topo NA 9.0 application on their PC in order to commence paperless geocaching.

Just to add to this: Delorme also has a free downloadable program called Cache Register that makes it very easy to download your Pocket Queries to the gps, and upload your finds to the website.

One thing to keep in mind: If you want to take full advantage of any paperless unit, and be able to have the full description, hints, etc., you will need to become a Premium Member.

"Learning" a PN and Topo aint that hard....Lord knows if I can do it then about anyone can. :) Those are really accurate units, but battery life is so so. I actually like Delorme Topo better than Garmin's software.

But, I was in the local Academy sports store the other day and they had the Dakota 10 on sale for $150. No fancy altimeter or E-compass, but a good little paperless unit, They advertize 20 hour battery life.

Thanks Tim

Most of the steepness comments were made concerning the bundled Topo NA 9.0 mapping application.

OTOH, if the steepness comments were regarding the handheld DeLorme GPSrs themselves, here are some helpful sources:

Check these for getting started:

http://www.gps-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://gps-wiki.com/wiki/PN30/40_Wiki

http://pn60.wiki.delorme.com/

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

..... (I do hike and mountain bike). ....

Regarding these hobbies, I might add that the DeLorme Topo NA 9.0 can add recreational value to these activities. Here is an example where I used one of the Topo NA 9.0 drawing tools to trace over an unmapped hiking trail visible on the DeLorme downloadable color aerial photo imagery to create a line, convert the line to a routable trail and then create the trail route from that:

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=10n12xyh

Note, the condition being that everything is included in the box with the DeLorme PN-40 or PN-60. No third party software or map data to aquire or learn....everything in the box.

Several years ago, I offered similar advice as the only method to create such ancilliary information. However, there may now be alternatives available from other than DeLorme. If so, I would sure like to be made aware of such, thanks.