'helpful' maps on cache pages...

Greetings. I don't know if its a new development or not, but I'm not happy at all with the cache id locater map to the right of cache pages. I noticed that when I zoomed in on a map, the little symbol actually pinpointed the cache for me. In a big park, I know right where to go within a few feet practically. I just did the last 6 caches without picking up my gps. A real nice one in the UP showed EXACTLY where to find it on a mile circular boardwalk and lake area....I'm not sure that the maps were meant to be THAT helpful.

Aside from disabling that pop up or whatever it would take for that map not to show up, does geocaching have any control how far in to zoom. Even if you don't touch it, sometimes its still too explicit. Yes, I know, don't look at it.... but it's nice to get a general milage idea from the map still.

thx

It sounds like the online maps in your area are well-calibrated. They're well-calibrated around here too.

Have you tried clicking the Google Maps link, switching to satellite view, and then zooming in? That's how I found hundreds of caches before I bought my first GPSr.

If the map was so accurate it gave the cache away, it was probably a really easy hide.

Knowing the spot in the park where gz is and knowing where the cache is are two different things.

Perhaps you would prefer looking for caches with a higher "d" rating.