Skype and events

NotBlonde

Hi all,

Just wondering what your feeling is on finding/doing events via Skype and then logging. I have this question as I see it happening but cannot find anything on the topic. Only thing I can find is the Guidelines for logging a cache and reading through that it seems that it cannot be done: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=59

What are your thoughts on this?

I have allowed it for my techno events - because that it exactly what it is: exploring and taking technology to the limits in the cause of geocaching. So if someone participates in the event and interacts with the others at the event I see no reason why they should not log it as they have in some small way made as much contribution to the event as the others who were physically there. The only drawback is it is difficult to get piece of steak from the fire to "beam me up Scotty" to the recipient on Skype. :unsure:

I would say that the same should apply to, for example, a Mega planning event as those participating on Skype are making an equally important input into the meeting as anyone so present at said event. It would therefore be the prerogative of the event coordinator to adjudicate the logs accordingly.

A good point. I have been Skyped from the last Techno Event, I was actually not expecting the call and it was by chance that I was online at the time. I spent a good half hour chatting to many of the attendees and the event owner. I was told that I could log an attendance to the event by the owner as it ran with the theme as been a Technology event and through technology I could attend. In a way I guess one could call it a webcam event. I have allowed on an event that I held for Cincol while in Pietermarizburg that both Carbon Hunter and CSLYoda who joined us via video chat from UAE and Australia that they too may log an attended log. I think it is really up to the owner of the event as to whether it is allowed or not, But then again, I see the point been that one should really be at the event as to log it. We had a situation here in Newcastle with the Flash Mob that it was in fact organised by Batsgonemad, but he left the country before the event and I took ownership. I tried in vain to contact him on Skype as to let him be part of the event, but I think been the original organiser of the event I felt it would only be right to include him, despite him been 9000km away...

In a nutshell, no... one cannot really log an attended log if they have not been there. But if the cache owner has no problem with it then by all means. It would be nice if there was a sub catagory were one can log an attended by webcam.... but smileys may not be given, cause then lots of people may just be skyping every event they can find to boost numbers...

Ah didn't see Bruce's reply till after i sent this. But as he said, the decision would be on the owner of the event.

To add, most people would be at event drinking coffee, having breakfast or having a braai, very seldom will someone pull out a laptop and fire up skype to chat to other cachers on the other side of the world. So it is less than likely that there would be a lot of interest in this. I can understand with the Techno event that 20 or so laptops all online might have a few skype lines open, but I somehow doubt that it happens often that anyone will be chatting away while there is Bruce's Butternut soup simmering in a big pot nearby...

We actually got permission for the 10 year event in Abu Dhabi last year - because there was just not enough teams available to meet the GS guidelines - plus the poor cachers in Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman and Saudi - do not have ten active teams (probably combined). So we got prior permission for skyping in - and they mentioned in their logs that they were virtual participants.

Exception rather than a rule.

This is an interesting debate. I concur with Bruce's original reply on this - it should be up to the CO [or in this case the Event Organisor] as to what he will or will not accept. The same applies to Earthcaches as well I suppose. With EC's it is the CO who decides or give permission for the cacher to log based on the quality of answers received from the cacher.

Yes, I have attended a Techno Event virtually and logged WITH the permission of the CO. Yes, I have also attended the Event Carbon Hunter eluded to WITH permission. At the end of the day I would say that caching is a SELF REGULATED "game" that is played by people who do it for different reasons. Perhaps that is why I love doing it. I have had enough of things where I am constantly being told what to do, when to do it and how to do it - sometimes even who I should do it with - both in 30 odd years of corporate life and 12 years in the military. Now I do things that I want to do and I do them when and how I choose. I cache for the FUN of it and to do and discover things that I would not normally have done. That fact that I get a smiley doing it is an added bonus. For me it is all about the journey, not the destination. For others it is about the destination [read numbers] and not how they got there.

This is why I love caching. I can make up my own personal rules and goals as I go along. For example - I get tremendous satisfaction from placing caches and reading the logs of those who find them. The same applies for my Travel Bugs and Geocoins traveling the world. Have a look at My Profile to see my hides and trackables if you wish. I also have little goals that I set myself on every trip that I go on. I set goals for myself against family members. And so it goes on. I make Geocaching personal and have little games within the bigger one.

I will be in Spain and France next month. Within 2km of our hotel in Barcelona there are probably 200+ caches. I have selected 5 that I feel I MUST do and have another 10 on the reserve list. En route to our destination in France we will pass by maybe 2000 odd caches. I have selected 10 that I want to do - and might not even do them do to road conditions, etc. No problem, I will do what I can and I will enjoy them all. If I am lucky I might even be able to find a nice EarthCache to develop while I am there! Maybe even 2.

Caching has also taken me on virtual adventures as well with me sitting at my desk with a telephone in one hand and a mouse in the other trying to direct Carbon Hunter, via webcams, through bushes and under stones, up to his knees in mud, in freezing cold and wet conditions [he in Vienna and me in Doha] while he tries find a cache!! What we won't do to find a cache that we are determined to find!! :rolleyes:

Bottom line, we use technology every day to do various things w.r.t. our great sport that we play. From our GPSr in our hand, cellphone for paperless caching and the internet for downloading the co-ordinates and then logging our finds. Technology is the name of the game. If Bruce gives me permission to log his Techno Event because I attended via Skype, than that it between him and I and the other attendees. If not, so be it. I will still use Skype to join fellow cachers around the world just for the sheer joy of it - smiley or not.

Just my 2c worth.

Our tuppence halfpenny worth ........

When attending events overseas, there is a definite logbook which you need to sign to be able to log your attendence, before you can claim a smiley - this is also done at Cito's.

Whether I use Skype or even my mobile phone, or landline, I could make a call to a number of friends attending the Mega in Wales. Does this give me the right to log it as attended?

A few years ago there was much debate about armchair caches - many felt that doing them should not be allowed, as one did not physically visit the cache site, although the cache owners had specifically set them up as armchair caches for geocachers to do when confined to their homes, be it for ill health or foul weather. These caches certainly weren't easy ones and took lots and lots of research, but were great fun and kept one busy for hours. The same goes for googling virtuals (not intended to be armchair caches) and getting the answers and logging them as found, although you never went anywhere near the actual co-ordinates.

May be the powers at Groundspeak should be approached for their opinion on this matter, but we would be most uncomfortable logging that we were at any event, when we were nowhere near.

This is just our opinion - the joy about geocaching is that we all can play the game as we see fit.

This to me is sad. We have become more and more isolated the more full of people the world becomes. We tend to relate and communicate via gadgets, but it is not the same. To some extent, I sometimes wish we did not have so much technology because I for one tend to find it an easier way out, so I tend to cut down on human interaction. So with this background I would say, you go and make your squiggle on a piece of paper at the cache or event, but maybe I am old school... Virtual in any form logging just makes the noise in your head go louder.

:shocked:

Whether I use Skype or even my mobile phone, or landline, I could make a call to a number of friends attending the Mega in Wales. Does this give me the right to log it as attended?

May be the powers at Groundspeak should be approached for their opinion on this matter, but we would be most uncomfortable logging that we were at any event, when we were nowhere near.

We agree with the Trickies on this one.

This to me is sad. We have become more and more isolated the more full of people the world becomes. We tend to relate and communicate via gadgets, but it is not the same. To some extent, I sometimes wish we did not have so much technology because I for one tend to find it an easier way out, so I tend to cut down on human interaction. So with this background I would say, you go and make your squiggle on a piece of paper at the cache or event, but maybe I am old school... Virtual in any form logging just makes the noise in your head go louder.

Besides being sad it just does not feel right.

Would not be comfortable doing this at all, as we just were not physically there.

Edited by cownchicken

I think Cincol said it best. But I do see the point of others. I do not myself go out looking to attend events via skype.... I was actually approached via skype from an event... I had missed out on it and really wish I could have joined everyone there and it was a pleasant surprise to be contacted from the event and have a good chat with numerous people at the event itself. I was made most welcome and that in itself was good enough. The CO said I could log it as an attend as I was "There" in his eyes.... So yes a debatable subject, but again, it is just a game, we are in this for fun, there is no gain out of it other than a smiley, maybe a great view or a great friendship amongst the community, in the end the CO is the one who makes the ultimate decision...

Hmm - I saw an earthcache published on the Brenner Pass in Italy, 6 days or something after we actually visited the site... puts me in a similar position, wondering if I could log a find on it, yet having been there (just days) before it was published, but able to log the find - I have all the answers and even a photo (I have my GPS with me all the time)...

Almost the same thing? Been there, but not for the cache? ..and what date would I use for the find then?

..and I can't (possible never) go back to the site either...

Should I also contact the CO and ask? ..or is it a no no? :) Would be great to have an EC find in Italy? :)

BTW: I don't think skype attendance should be allowed in general.. but when the skyper added significant value to the event, I sure think that should be the exception and ok. :)