Paperless Geo-Caching Units?

Are there any GPS units priced under $200 which feature paperless geo-caching? I'd like to get a friend a paperless unit but can't afford the $350+ I paid for my Garmin 62s.

TNX! Berks Dutchie

The cheapest paperless unit is probably the Magellan GC, although it seems they may have been discontinued as many stores such as Target and BestBuy were blowing them out for under $100 a month or so ago.

I have the GC and really like it I think it would be a good choice. I am not a computer wiz and I have figured out how to use it with some reading on line. I thought it was the Geomate Jr that they were selling really cheap. I bought 2 of them used for the kids and have not had time to sit down and play with them. You are suppose to be able to load your own caches.

The Magellan GC is an ok entry level unit. It has a very easy to use interface but from what many people say is very buggy and it also lacks the ability to add maps. You are stuck with the base map and can't even put on a free topo which stinks. If you can live with the limitation it is currently the most inexpensive paperless unit.

If you can wait a couple months Garmin is about to launch a new line of eTrex units that will have paperless capability. The eTrex 10 and 20 will be under $200. The 10 is black and while screen, while the 20 adds color and the ability to add external memory cards. If you can hold off I think either of those units will be amazing!

Dakota 10 or 20?

I neglected to mention the Garmin Dakota series are amazing choices as well. They retail for over $200 but if you look around for deals you will often find them around the $200 mark. Last week the gps store had the Dakota 20 on sale for $209 with free shipping but it just ended. Keep looking though. Now that the new Montanna's are out I'm sure you will see these on sale.

Also, worse case, check eBay, someone might be letting a GPSr go for a song, (but check if they have it up for bid, or 'Buy It Now', and how much the shipping will cost.. Most of the Free Shipping, usually entails US-Postal $2.00 bargain box. (If it fits, it ships.) which I'm pretty sure the seller will include in the price.

I have to voice my vote for the Magellan GC. Despite my initial displeasure with the design and klugy menus, I'm growing to like it because of the paperless capabilities. Though, I am still miffed about the typing via joypad with a tough to push button. You would've thought magellan would've used a T9 type quick typing library.

Stephen (gelfling6)