Total Stats page?

geomaineiacs

I think it's great to see the virtuals and locationless broken out. Still, it would be nice to have a total, since folks make a big deal about approaching certain round figures - like we're approaching our 100th. But now, should we add our benchmarks to our total? Should others exclude their locationless caches? What about event caches?

Definitely agree with the others that are recommending a "totals" column. In my family, we thrive on competition, so it's nice to check out my brother's page and quickly assess how many caches he has compared to us. I think the totals would be beneficial.

I second this motion.

quote:
Originally posted by dcgusto:

Definitely agree with the others that are recommending a "totals" column. In my family, we thrive on competition, so it's nice to check out my brother's page and quickly assess how many caches he has compared to us. I think the totals would be beneficial.

quote:
Originally posted by dcgusto:

Look at it this way, now you have more areas to compete in. Instead of just total finds, which is pretty meaningless anyway, now you can compete cache type for cache type.

Try and see if you can beat your brother at ALL cache types!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Which types of items would be included in the total? It's a no-win situation for TPTB. If you include/exclude locationless caches, you make someone mad. If you include/exclude benchmarks, you make someone mad. I'm happy with it like it is.

I don't think anyone could get too upset about continuing the status quo, which is to include standard, multi, virtual, event, webcam, and locationless in a total. Anything that's got its own cache page counts. That total still exists, as the numbers in parentheses next to your name when you log a cache. There's been talk for a long time about breaking locationless out into a separate count like benchmarks; I wouldn't mind, but I imagine people with significant numbers of them logged might be upset to see that parenthetical number go down. I doubt anyone will agitate to put benchmarks or travel bugs into the overall total, as those have long had their own sections on the site. I wouldn't like to see overall totals, such as those parenthetical totals, discarded entirely; I think they provide a certain amount of useful info, and a lot of entertainment (at least for me). We like to strive for those round numbers as motivation to get up and go caching when we're feeling lazy.

I propose this to keep everyone happy... ( I know, "everyone"?) Anyway....

Put little checkboxes next to each cache type icon. Whichever boxes you check off will be included in the total.

This way people could either "check all" for a complete total or just check off the combination of the types that they want totals of. They could leave off Virtuals or locationless or benchmarks, etc.

Do I hear a "second" to this motion?

Wherever you go, there you are!

I agree with Kite and Hawkeye that, for now, just continue with the status quo and list totals for the way it has been.

Initially, I thought the idea of clicking check boxes to include whatever totals you care about would be okay. Then, thinking it over, I guess it wouldn't because then it would still be hard to compare peoples numbers. And I'm not actually talking about competition here (although I know that is a big part of it), but it is also nice to catch someone on his/her milestone caches and congratulate them. If everyone was including different things that they were including in cache counts, then this would end up being hard to do.

IE: "Congrats to JANEDOECACHER on her 200th find, which include her traditional and virtual caches only, and not any locationless!"

That's exactly the idea for my proposal. Clicking "Total all" would still allow you to track those benchmarks but clicking individual boxes would allow you to compare similar totals across cachers. Let's say I wanted to compare Actual caches, multis & mysteries only. I could click those & do the same for any other cachers I wanted to compare them to. Maybe I want to total up all Tbs & Geocoins only, etc. It would simply give those of us who are anal retentive (me) & like playing with stats a way to build graphs, charts, etc.

Wherever you go, there you are!

quote:
Instead of just total finds, which is pretty meaningless anyway, now you can compete cache type for cache type.

Seeing the breakdown is pretty cool, but a 1/1 cache is still a 1/1 and a 5/5 is still a 5/5; they remain all bunched together by category, so the number of finds in any category is just as meaningless as before.

quote:
Which types of items would be included in the total? It's a no-win situation for TPTB. If you include/exclude locationless caches, you make someone mad. If you include/exclude benchmarks, you make someone mad.

Well, benchmarks have never been included in the "total finds," so that presents a lesser problem ... those who seek them are already accustomed to them being a distinct category. (Benchmarking is fundamentally different than traditional/virtual/letterboxing/multi, etc. caches.)

Locationless caches are also fundamentally different (as might webcams be), and should be counted separately ... so it looks like TPTB's decision to omit totals and simply list the finds by categories was done primarily to sidestep making decisions that undoubtedly would prove controversial.

I suppose it now falls upon Dan Miller to decide "what is what" ... or to run like heck!

A quick check of the logs from my most recent finds leads me to believe, however, that in practice, geocaching.com is totaling the finds exactly as before.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on July 17, 2003 at 04:43 AM.]

I suppose there won't be a TOTAL FINDS listing? This is very annoying. Just put a total finds based on the way it was before - totals of all type of caches. Benchmarks were never included in that.

Traditional, Virtual, Multi, Event, Locationless - it doesn't matter - it's just annoying as hell to have add up the categories. When you log a note or a find it still shows your total finds - so why not have it on the user stats page?

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I suppose there won't be a TOTAL FINDS listing? This is very annoying. Just put a total finds based on the way it was before - totals of all type of caches. Benchmarks were never included in that.

Actually, benchmarks were included, initially. Even now, a keyword search for "benchmark" turns up quite a few grandfathered virtuals that are nothing more then finding a specific benchmark.

That changed and they got a seperate section with a separate total. Now the other catagories get a seperate count too. I like it.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

I like that it shows them seperately, but I see no reason why it can't continue to show the TOTAL as it did before this addition was made.

When you log a find, it shows a persons total finds - so the code is still here, just redirect it to the bottom of the column, and have an explaination of what is included in totals.

It makes absolutely no since why it doesn't do this already. I've talked to enough people who are upset this is missing and they have to add it up themselves.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
posted by Southdeltan: When you log a find, it shows a persons total finds - so the code is still here, just redirect it to the bottom of the column, and have an explaination of what is included in totals.

Or better yet, include it on the User Profile page so you can get to it with one click. Then if you wish to see the breakdown, you could click on User Stats.

I would love to see "totals" come back!

Janine of Cacheola Crew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

I quadruple that motion. I was interested to see what my breakdown was, and that is neat, and excellent, but it only makes sense to include a total on that same page. There are other places to get it, but a total field would make the 'stats' page complete.

Sometimes, it's just to early to do math!

Things are looking great by the way. Change is good.

I would like to see the "status quo" totals on the user profile page. It's getting old hearing the "purists" say something to the effect that "it is not about the numbers". I just reached (and surpassed) a goal of mine of doing 365 caches in my first year of geocaching. I have 370 caches found with 6 days to go. I am proud of my accomplishment. How could I have reached that goal if I didn't keep track of the numbers? Healthy competition is friendly, motivating, and fun in itself. There is nothing wrong with it.

Cache on dudes!

Jim